Boxing Ring on Freedom??

Yes, this is a serious question even though I realize this thread could go off anywhere.

I had breakfast this morning with a RC buddy of mine..........we were talking about the Freedom. Conversation turned to the full size boxing ring.......

Does anyone know how RC plans to do this? I thought maybe a ta that had some inside stuff or had been on the ship could shed some light on this.

Are passengers going to sign up to square off against each other??

Surely RC will have some type of release of liability for each passenger to sign...........

And NO..........I don't intend to even be on the same deck of the boxing ring if I can help it.

I'm sure RC knows what they are doing and have researched this beyond my capability to understand it

Seriously just wondering if anyone knows what or how they are going to operate this??

Passengers are not allowed to spar with one another. The ring is strictly for a fitness based program that you do with an instructor. You make an appointment and pay a fee just like other fitness programs.

Ok........makes some sense.......and thank you for the answer........I missed that somehow.........

Without knowing that.........my mind was going off in all directions:)

Thanks

Ok........makes some sense.......and thank you for the answer........I missed that somehow.........

Without knowing that.........my mind was going off in all directions:)

Thanks

I've seen pictures of this on some website. My first reaction was, I guess there was so much room on the ship, they didn't know what to do with the extra space and ran out of ideas.

It's not extra space they didn't know what to do with...they replaced the fitness center hot tub that was (in my opinion) one of the coolest places on the Voyager class.

Oh, well, i'm sure the gigantic overhanging hot tubs will more than make up for it...

Honestly and truly, the last thing I ever would have thought would be on a cruise ship is a boxing ring. And the last thing I ever figured folks would want to do on a cruise is box and spar.

I guess next there will be wrestling coaching too and cage matches with former pro wrestlers complete with folding chairs and valets. I, myself, just don't see the appeal of that big ring, but maybe it will be a huge hit. Who knows?

Honestly and truly, the last thing I ever would have thought would be on a cruise ship is a boxing ring. And the last thing I ever figured folks would want to do on a cruise is box and spar.

I guess next there will be wrestling coaching too and cage matches with former pro wrestlers complete with folding chairs and valets. I, myself, just don't see the appeal of that big ring, but maybe it will be a huge hit. Who knows?

I agree with you. I hope they replace it with something better on Liberty.

There was a little movie that earned a nice young lady an academy award....hmmm, not many people saw it. :p

Anyway, since then, boxing-training has been a big workout craze. (guess they didn't watch the movie through to the end). I've seen mixed opinions from the pre-inaugural cruisers, yet it is new and hip.

I am one who never steps foot in the gym on a cruise, yet I WILL be checking out the boxing ring. Plus, Bob the Boxing Trainer might well be worth $79/hour just to look at him! LOL

I am one who gives RCI a thumbs up for their creativity on this. I agree that it may be a novelty, but I imagine that one benefit is the space will be very easily converted should the novelty wear off.

Tracy

My vote would be to have a large whirlpool like the Voyager class has. It was never crowded when we sailed the Mariner, and beautiful too! One of that ship's best kept secrets!

There was a little movie that earned a nice young lady an academy award....hmmm, not many people saw it. :p

Anyway, since then, boxing-training has been a big workout craze. (guess they didn't watch the movie through to the end). I've seen mixed opinions from the pre-inaugural cruisers, yet it is new and hip.

I am one who never steps foot in the gym on a cruise, yet I WILL be checking out the boxing ring. Plus, Bob the Boxing Trainer might well be worth $79/hour just to look at him! LOL

I think Clint Eastwood, the director, also won an Oscar for that movie. Morgan Feeman was nominated for best supporting actor and may have also won. I don't remember. Great movie and very sad.:(

Like you, I will be interested to watch some sparring. I have a back belt in karate and know little about boxing, but know enough I guess to find the process interesting. Do they really spar for an hour? That would be a heck of a workout!

Archived