Mariner of the seas ??

Is the Mariner "too big" of a ship in anyones opinion. Are there real long lines all the time? Hard to get on and get off at peak times?

Anything you can ad would be great.

We've cruised in the past on mid sized ships, but are considering the Mariner for next April.

Thanks in advance!!

In my opinion, this class of ship is just too large for us. We did experience some long lines, but nothing to write home and complain about. As it was an eastern Caribbean, we did not tender, but I suspect there could be problems in this area on a Western Caribbean or in any tender port.

I am more comfortable on ship's of Celebrity's Milennium class. 90,000 ton with about 2,000 passengers.

We cruised the AOS last March and given the ships size, we never encountered long lines with on ly one exception. The night of the formal dinner, the lines at the elevator were long, but there was always the stairs.

We are going on the Mariner next Sunday and look forward to it. The ship is scaled to handle the larger crowds so you sohould consider the gross tonnage to passenger ratio and you will see.

I didn't feel at all crowded on the Mariner and we were told that our sailing had the most passengers they'd ever had yet. The ship is wonderful and never seemed too big. The only time we had to wait in line on the ship, was to eat in the Windjammer after embarking. This could be alleviated by grabbing a bite from the Cafe Promenade. If you don't wait too late for the tenders, you should be ok. We waited a little too late in Labadee and had to wait in line for the tender (our only tender wait). In Grand Cayman, we timed it better and didn't have a wait at all. The ship is fantastic and I highly recommend it.

We have done Explorer and Mariner. After having done a Voyager class ship I will have a tough time doing anything else. The ships are very well designed and handle the number of passengers they carry quite well. We never really stood in line for anything. Tendering was no problem in Labadee or Grand Caymen.

There is really nothing quite like a Voyager class ship. You have to try it to really understand.

We were there and yes, Khank is right, the lines at Windjammer for lunch the first day were very long and seating was at a premium. Had we known about Cafe Promenade at that time, we probably would have gone there. Other than that though, yes, I have ased myself if this ship is too big. We enjoyed the size of Fantasy but wanted the extra activities. I think Mariner is beautiful and truly a wonderful girl, and I think we would sail her again. But it has definitely come to mind that maybe she is too big for us. I just don't have much else with which to compare her. We did encounter lines at other times in other places, but not so much that we were daunted - except maybe the rock climbing. We never did do that because of the wait. I think that has more to do with its limited hours of operation though. I would love to try a Radiance class ship to compare the two.

I'm in the "Bigger is Better" category. I've been on Sovereign class as well as many of the older ships (remember Sea-Escape?) but there is really nothing quite like a Voyager class vessel. I've never even had to wait at the Windjammer but I'm always one of those early-birds at the dock.

The ship is a destination in itself. With so many amenities and activities on board I can't ever remember waiting in line. The one "lone" exception is about a 20-30 minute wait for those coveted Ice Skating show tickets but that was well worth it.

Until you've done one of these beautiful ships it's really hard to understand. I've been on three of the five and am looking forward to my 2nd Mariner trip in September.

I respect anyone's opinion towards others ships though. Eventually I'll branch out to a Vision class ship and beyond. But with Mariner 45 minutes from my home I'll cruise her as often as my schedule permits ;)

Some ports are too shallow or do not have a dock to that can handle some of the big ships. They anchor in the harbor and small boats called tenders bring you back and forth from the ship to shore.

TBRay...

You are so fortunate to have such a ship 45 minutes from your home. If I were in your position I know where I would be every chance that I had.

Our only complaint with Mariner concerned the elevators....it seemed we could never catch one....they were always full, etc. It was so bad that it got to the place where it didnt matter which way the elevator :eek: was going--if there was space, we got on! :eek:

Truffles2.... the elevators were absolutely terrible, it seemed like there was always a wait and they were always packed!! We were on deck nine so we usually used the stairs. Other than that we loved the ship and are already planning our next cruise on her.... Western this time.

Which catgeory of cabin with a balcony would you suggest and the location? Thanks!!!

It depends on which ones are available for your cruise, the one in the middle of the Hump(bump out) usually have a slightly balcony and good view of the front and back of the ship. Some people love the aft cabins, because they are in the rear of the ship with noone walking by and because the balconies are huge, on our cruise on Mariner, in an aft, we had 2 chairs and small table and had the steward bring to lounge chairs to use on the balcony also. If you post what cabins are available for your sailing, I am sure several of us could give you some advice

Was on the ship in Feb wasn't to big for me, no long lines was on that ship 10 min after getting off bus. Elevators maybe a couple of times, but good time to use the stairs and walk off all that food that you consume on the ship. Would love to sail her again sooooooooooooooooooon I hope but until then I live on this board.

Archived