NCL booking - different TA's

7SeasLover

Per the new pricing policy from NCL - It has been my understanding that TA's can no longer discount a NCL cruise.

I realize this trip includes Air - which has wigggle room - and Insurance - which has holes that trucks can be driven through.........BUT -

I thought that the cruise price must be the same from a TA as from the cruise line????

I thought that TA's could cut their commision by offering onboard credit, free wine, free travel insurance, etc. etc. but the cruise PRICE could not be discounted.........????????????

I always use a travel agent but check the prices myself at several Internet sites and NCL site. On my Pride of America cruise for 10/28, I found an upgrade where I got my balcony cabin at the price of an oceanview. When I pointed this out to my agent, she booked it for me (and maybe learned a new trick.) I had always assumed she would get us the best price, I learned a new trick too.

Hi everyone... I'm the OP and these are the very comments I was seeking in my original post. So please, don't hesitate to give your opinion - especially if you are TA! That's the purpose of my post. I found the fare difference $781.40 to be unbelievable. Even my TA said she'd switch if it was she who found this deal. I have a great TA whom I've traveled with and known for years. That's not the point though - the fare difference is.

Here is some added info I have received from the online agent. I had forgotten to tell her that we wanted the NCL pre cruise hotel. She came back with a quote of $125 pp. I said book it.

I reeived a follow-up e-mail that said: "I'm sorry to bring you bad news but, NCL has given me incorrect information they will not per their supervisor allow you to travel with the current cabin rate and book a pre-night. We are back to the orginal booking. Please let me know if you are ok with the orginal reservation. I have extended this until Tuesday for payment."

In a previous message from the online agent to my office, which I did not see until just a big ago she said, "This is a Voyager / Residence rate, they do not allow any air deviation's, pre or post nights."

What is a Voyager/Residence rate? I think it means you must live in the area (South America?)

I would be happy to share the actual rate breakdowns with anyone, but I'm not sure if this would be a board violation.

Lastly, the online agent's rate did incude taxes, port charges, insurance and air. She never said she was discounting or returning commission. She merely said we were getting a [tour operator name] discount.

I am still surprised by the difference. Maybe I'm reading something incorrectly, but basically, I took my TA's bottom line and the online agent's bottom line and subtracted and came up with $781.40 difference.

Nevertheless, we're thrilled at the savings and we're busy trying to find our own hotel and our own air. What I have not yet confirmed is will NCL not accept our booking w/o NCL's air? I just sent an e-mail to my online agent to ask. If that's the case, then we'll just fly in same day and board the ship so's to keep the price quoted. We always fly in a day early just to be sure we don't miss the boat... literally ;)

Again, I'll be happy to give all the details - feel free to email me. I will most definitely report if there are any *oh-we-forgot-to-charge* incidents!

I am a ta. I'll explain what happened.

NCL has two different fare codes.

You use one when you deviate air to add pre-hotel stays.

You use the other farecode when you are merely cruise + air only.

Ergo, the difference in pricing with some rebating of commission done by the second agency.

So, the only fair thing to do is ask the second agent to reprice with the proper farecode.. then compare the two.

I have found the most helpful rez system for booking NCL to be Amadeus. I can select just cruise, add air... or select straightaway from the pre-hotel programs with cruise and adding air.

Other rez systems will not allow you to see all the information at once. You have to call into NCL reservations.

In a previous message from the online agent to my office, which I did not see until just a big ago she said, "This is a Voyager / Residence rate, they do not allow any air deviation's, pre or post nights."

What is a Voyager/Residence rate? I think it means you must live in the area (South America?)

I would be very careful with this. Make sure it is not a residency rate based on somewhere you don't live. I'm not sure about NCL but I know other cruiselines have required proof at check-in that you do qualify for the special rate - and if you didn't, they've charged you the extra fare. I'm not saying that this is the case here. But it would be a huge shock if you showed up to the port, and they said that you didn't qualify for the rate you were given, pay us the additional $800.

Per the new pricing policy from NCL - It has been my understanding that TA's can no longer discount a NCL cruise.

I realize this trip includes Air - which has wigggle room - and Insurance - which has holes that trucks can be driven through.........BUT -

I thought that the cruise price must be the same from a TA as from the cruise line????

I thought that TA's could cut their commision by offering onboard credit, free wine, free travel insurance, etc. etc. but the cruise PRICE could not be discounted.........????????????

You are correct..........agencies still try and find loopholes:mad:

7seas,

This is getting a little "tricky" I think that you are going to find that you may be paying more in the end:(

Talk to the original agency and see if they cold eliminate their fee if you stay with them........or possibly the agent "could eat it".

"Penny wise and pound foolish."

There definitely are fare differences and specials... the one where you take the cruise line's airfare and not deviate or add a pre or post... give your original agent the opportunity to reprice your room that way; as they have you now booked with a pre night it will not let the lower fare if available show to them. Also tell your original agent that the other agent has mentioned a resident rate so your original agent will be able to double check if you qualify for that, since it is a trusted agent you used for years; I am sure they will let you know and then you won't have to worry about any possible problems at the pier... just give your original agent the opportunity to rate apples to apples exact same package!

Both fares were quoted with out a precruise night. I only decided to ask for a pre cruise nice after we booked with the online agency, so that equation doesn't enter into this price difference.

Since I told my TA about the difference (savings) and she didn't offer to reudce anything, I do not want to ask her to eat anything. She did tell me that "X" (the owner) takes a huge percentage and the agents get very little. I don't want to pay "X" a huge percentage. If I'm going to pay a "huge" amount I want my TA to get it. She's very good (she is not, however, a cruise consultant) she doesn't know the difference between port or starboard rooms.

I will most cerainly ask the online agent about the residency rate. I would not want any surprises at the port.

What I'd like to do is list the base rates for the cabin, taxes and port fee that each agent charged. Therein is the difference, also the air was considerble differnt as was the insurance. In every instance, my TA was higher. I'm not sure if we can talk acutal dollars w/o breaking board rules.

I just want to understand this. I want to feel that I wasn't duped by my TA and I want the best rate for my trip. Excuse me, "duped" was not a good word. She wouldn't do that. I'm sure her charges are accurate and in line with what Mr. "X" charges for his agency.

So far, the best explanation I can see for the difference is the special residency rate. I'm certainly going to check on that! Thanks. Also, even if we were zapped at the airport the most it would be is the difference in the room charge and P & T. I will ask the online TA to quote both base charges exclusive of air and insurance and see what she says. Also, she said insurance is based on the cruise portion so if tha goes up, so will the insurance.

At least now, with all of your comments, I feel better informed and can ask some sensible questions. Thank you all and I will definitely keep you informed.

Both fares were quoted with out a precruise night. I only decided to ask for a pre cruise nice after we booked with the online agency, so that equation doesn't enter into this price difference.

Since I told my TA about the difference (savings) and she didn't offer to reudce anything, I do not want to ask her to eat anything. She did tell me that "X" (the owner) takes a huge percentage and the agents get very little. I don't want to pay "X" a huge percentage. If I'm going to pay a "huge" amount I want my TA to get it. She's very good (she is not, however, a cruise consultant) she doesn't know the difference between port or starboard rooms.

I will most cerainly ask the online agent about the residency rate. I would not want any surprises at the port.

What I'd like to do is list the base rates for the cabin, taxes and port fee that each agent charged. Therein is the difference, also the air was considerble differnt as was the insurance. In every instance, my TA was higher. I'm not sure if we can talk acutal dollars w/o breaking board rules.

I just want to understand this. I want to feel that I wasn't duped by my TA and I want the best rate for my trip. Excuse me, "duped" was not a good word. She wouldn't do that. I'm sure her charges are accurate and in line with what Mr. "X" charges for his agency.

So far, the best explanation I can see for the difference is the special residency rate. I'm certainly going to check on that! Thanks. Also, even if we were zapped at the airport the most it would be is the difference in the room charge and P & T. I will ask the online TA to quote both base charges exclusive of air and insurance and see what she says. Also, she said insurance is based on the cruise portion so if tha goes up, so will the insurance.

At least now, with all of your comments, I feel better informed and can ask some sensible questions. Thank you all and I will definitely keep you informed.

If your TA is an inside agent she gets a salary and possibly a percentage commission.......if she is an outside agent she gets a partial commission.

Have you gone on the NCL website to check the rate......or have you called NCL?? You could call NCL and ask if there are any promotions for this sailing.

Good idea! No, I haven't even thought about calling NCL. I will do that today. I will ask about their policy on Voyager/Residency proof at check in.

Hey... maybe that special is for Upland, California! ha ha ha! I will also ask if the air that was quoted can go up or is that locked in at what the online agent quoted. It was considerably lower than my TA.

I don't know what status my TA is at her agency. I do know it's part-time. She left FT agency work shortly after 9/11.

I think the culprit to the $781.40 fee difference has been discovered. It was in the air portion quoted by NCL. Apparently my TA did not ask for the air special. Her air was $2985.80, and the other two air quotes came in at $1269.65 and $1132.20. Therein lies the huge difference in quotes for my SA cruise on the Crown.

Thank you to a very helpful TA on this board who helped me ferret this out. I have now contacted my long-time TA to ask her to check with NCL on the air special.

I'm so glad I posted my original comment on NCL TA bookings. Thanks to all of you for my TA 101 lesson!

Hi Ginny,

I've been using one of the larger internet agencies, email only, for the last 4 cruises. I don't care how or why, just that they are cheaper. As long as they're one of the biggies, I wouldn't let the TA's here convince you there is a problem. One thing to make sure of: that your deposit on your CC is in the name of your cruiseline.

Back before I booked them for the first time I went to a friend's TA to get another price. I told her the price I had gotten online. She simply didn't believe me. I sent her the official quote. She said she didn't know how they did it. <shrug> All I know is I've never looked back.

Enjoy your cruise and your savings.

I am a travel agent for one of the online biggies. I know local agencies sometimes like to paint us as the bad guys but that's not the reality of all online agencies. They like to try to scare you into thinking that if you book with us, you're booking with a faceless company and you have no real person to turn to if you have a problem. With the company that I work for, that couldn't be farther from the truth.

The company that I work for will only hire real travel agents with years of experience. You can't be flipping hamburgers one day and working with us the next. You have to know your business to even get your foot in the door. We are responsible for taking care of our clients from quote to booking to sail to after-the-sail. I'm skilled at what I do and I love my job. I'm one more cruise ship inspection away from earning my CLIA Elite Cruise Counselor certification and will have that completed within the next 3 weeks. According to CLIA http://www.cruising.org, there are currently fewer than 100 ECC certified agents in the entire US.

My clients all have my direct extension. They know my full-time work hours. They know when they can reach me. They'll tell you that all phone calls are returned the same business day if they call me during business hours. My clients will also tell you that I will return their calls on nights and weekends because I care. For example, this is Memorial Day Weekend. It's a 3 day holiday weekend yet I returned voicemails and emails of multiple clients. I spent 2 hours today of my weekend off resolving an issue for a client because I care. I resolved the problem not just because I care, but because I can. The online agency that I work for is a VIP client of the cruiselines. That gives me ability to resolve issues, open doors, and save my clients money.

To get back to the original question of could there be a difference of almost $800 between agencies on a booking the size of which you mentioned, I'd say probably not unless one of the agencies missed a promo code. There are so many different promos running concurrently that you really have to stay on top of everything. I have found promos that saved clients hundreds of dollars over what another agency quoted them but $800 seems like there might be a mistake on one agency's part or another. There's just not that kind of profit margin in a booking of your size. Yes, you have a nice solid booking but by the time you pull out the taxes, port charges, govt fees, etc., there's not that much commissionable cruise fare left to justify an $800 savings.

I don't know where you're getting that information from. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity cannot be discounted. NCL can be discounted as of today.

DD,

You were right! It was an air promo that my TA missed. She works for an inside agency and shares her commission with the owner. She said he takes the bulk.

I'm sure now that she's aware there is an air special she'll be right in line with everyone else. The cruise portion was identical with all three agents.

I don't know where you're getting that information from. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity cannot be discounted. NCL can be discounted as of today.

Has NCL changed their policy on advertising agency discounts:confused: Gee I didn`t get that info from NCL..........Guess I`ll have to check it out.

I think the culprit to the $781.40 fee difference has been discovered. It was in the air portion quoted by NCL. Apparently my TA did not ask for the air special. Her air was $2985.80, and the other two air quotes came in at $1269.65 and $1132.20. Therein lies the huge difference in quotes for my SA cruise on the Crown.

Thank you to a very helpful TA on this board who helped me ferret this out. I have now contacted my long-time TA to ask her to check with NCL on the air special.

I'm so glad I posted my original comment on NCL TA bookings. Thanks to all of you for my TA 101 lesson!

So are you still going to book with the original agent? I would still ask them to waive their booking fee if you are. You found the "mistake";)

Quoted the suite, taxes, port charges, air, transfers, and insurance. My TA said prices are cheaper on Internet and their owner takes a fee. I'm confused by it all. I switched and went with the other place.

This is what you said earlier.........Their owner takes a fee. I assumed this was a booking fee.......above and beyond the price of the cruise.

Archived