Why won't Celebrity fix their ships

florida_cruiser

We were on the Constellation on the August 2004 Baltic Capitals and St. Petersburg cruise, and again 12/31/2005 on the Constellation S. Caribbean cruise. Conceirge Class both times. The beds were great, and we loved the Isotonic pillows.

but if you could check back 6 months or so, I'll bet you would be hard pressed to find any posts regarding bedding. There was the occasional sheet and cover posts but now it seems that everyone is posting about the bedding. What gives all of a sudden.

Glad to see they are upgrading but I just don't get it.

Other cruise lines perhaps as well as the Sweet Sleeper bed at Sheraton and Heavenly Bed at Westin?

HAL has great beds, RCI is introducing new bedding across the entire line, so travellers are experiencing great bedding and learning to expect it.

As a "premium" line, good quality bedding should be at the top of X's list. My bed on Mercury was concave and too well used.

All this talk is kind of funny to me. Connie, Summit, Infinity, Millennium, and Century have all been in drydock in the last year or two. Century has had her entire cabins upgraded, including bedding. They are also planning on upgradding the bedding on the entire line starting with the Galaxy and Millie next.

Looks like X is fixing their ships.

"Looks like X is fixing their ships." Yes, but it's not because they love us. They're doing it to stay in the game.

They're doing it because it's time to do it and it was part of their business plan.

"Looks like X is fixing their ships." Yes, but it's not because they love us. They're doing it to stay in the game.

This is comparable to saying that their waiters give excellent service because they want a good tip, not because they really love their passengers. If I am getting excellent service from a very friendly waiter I don't really care what his motiviation is, anymore than I care why their ships are being updated.

Sky Sweet-My point was that Celebrity is upgrading their bedding for business reasons, not to reciprocate the loyalty of its customers (which can be quite intense on these boards).

I agree that the decision was probably made for business reasons, but when I, as a passenger, benefit from that decision I don't really care why Celebrity made it.

I expect my husband, children, and close friends to do things for me out of love, like I do for them, but my expectations from a business are very different. I only care about the quality of their product and the level of service they provide, and not what is motivating them to be nice to me.

Here’s two cents on the Infinity we got of on May 8th in S.F. I was surprised at how little was done in drydock to refurbish the ship. We had a great cruise—especially the food, service, and entertainment, but again, we were amazed at how many areas of the ship were not touched in drydock. For example, all of our three cabin’s bedspreads, shower curtains and toilet seats were in very poor condition and needed to be replaced. The jogging deck’s (and other rubber deck areas) surfacing was deteriorating in spots and lots of the little pool tiles were missing and strewn around the pool area. Also the golf simulator, according to the golf pro, has been broken for months (when we used it only short irons would register on the screen). The area previously know as “Notes” was in disrepair with a hand written sign on the door that said, “Teen Center,” although it’s a long way away from being a teen center when we saw it. The sign should have said, “Storage for junk we don’t know where else to put.”

Again, we had a great time, but the ship is far from being in like new or refurbished condition. I would grade the ship as in “B” condition. Recent ships we sailed on (Serenade of the Seas, Sapphire Princess, and (gulp) even the Monarch of the Seas) seemed to be kept up better. But none of those ships could hold a candle to the food and service on the Infinity. We just booked a RT cruise to Hawaii in Oct. 2007 and had our choice of the Summit or Serenade of the Seas—it was a tough choice, but we booked on the Serenade (even though the price was higher than the Summit) due to the condition of the Infinity.

The drydock was not for the purpose of refurbishing the ship. If you have read the previous posts you will see that the bedding and soft goods will be addressed in 2007 on Infinity, Summit, Mercury and Constellation. If a new bedspread is more important than good food, service and entertainment you might enjoy Serenade. Doesn't make sense to me, but to each his own.

Here’s two cents on the Infinity we got of on May 8th in S.F. I was surprised at how little was done in drydock to refurbish the ship. We had a great cruise—especially the food, service, and entertainment, but again, we were amazed at how many areas of the ship were not touched in drydock. For example, all of our three cabin’s bedspreads, shower curtains and toilet seats were in very poor condition and needed to be replaced. The jogging deck’s (and other rubber deck areas) surfacing was deteriorating in spots and lots of the little pool tiles were missing and strewn around the pool area. Also the golf simulator, according to the golf pro, has been broken for months (when we used it only short irons would register on the screen). The area previously know as “Notes” was in disrepair with a hand written sign on the door that said, “Teen Center,” although it’s a long way away from being a teen center when we saw it. The sign should have said, “Storage for junk we don’t know where else to put.”

Again, we had a great time, but the ship is far from being in like new or refurbished condition. I would grade the ship as in “B” condition. Recent ships we sailed on (Serenade of the Seas, Sapphire Princess, and (gulp) even the Monarch of the Seas) seemed to be kept up better. But none of those ships could hold a candle to the food and service on the Infinity. We just booked a RT cruise to Hawaii in Oct. 2007 and had our choice of the Summit or Serenade of the Seas—it was a tough choice, but we booked on the Serenade (even though the price was higher than the Summit) due to the condition of the Infinity.

You have looked at the whole cruise experience from your perspective...and you have made decisions based on your own criteria relative to that experience....that is what we all must do (and allow others to do without criticism)...well done .....and enjoy! .......Oui :)

If a new bedspread is more important than good food, service and entertainment

I hardly think the bedspread is really the deal breaker. This may all be a moot point now that Celebrity has gone on record as stating the bedding (mattresses) will be replaced starting very soon with Galaxy and continuing on next year with the balance of the ships. One would hope that they go beyond just the mattress and address the "cot like" box spring below. It is the foundation more than the mattress that is causing the concave beds.

I look forward to reports on the replaced bedding from the Century as this was the only deterrent from us re-cruising with Celebrity. To each their own but quality beds is the primary item we look into for our vacations.

If a new bedspread is more important than good food, service and entertainment you might enjoy Serenade. Doesn't make sense to me, but to each his own.

It is not as trivial as a new bedspread. It is nasty window treatments, concave beds, cracked sinks and dirty shower curtains, A/C that works sporadically and poor maintenace in some of the public areas. If you choose to spend your money on such a cruise to enjoy good food and service, it is certainly your perogative. I expect more.

Serenade is my favorite RCI ship and it has nothing to do wit bedspreads. :cool: She is beautiful, very well maintained and has a great staff and crew.

Food and service in both the specialty restaurants are excellent, the main dining room is good.

And the Solarium is lovely and the nightlife excellent.

There is more to a ship than a bedspread certainly but I do not choose to sail on a poorly maintained ship just for good food and service. I care about the whole package, but that is me.:)

I expect more too and that's why I pick and choose my ships. Seabass said the food and service on Serenade "couldn't hold a candle" to Infinity so I found it interesting that he would choose to book her.

Fortunately, I've never seen the deplorable conditions you describe on a Celebrity ship and I'm very particular. We've sailed with them 25 times and one time the shower curtain looked bad. A simple request to the room steward and it was replaced in about 5 minutes. Also had a very hard mattress twice and they brought an egg-crate to place on top to make it very comfortable.

For the record--On our last cruise, we had a visit from a Chief Eng. and he asked if he could photograph our bedspread. It seems that they had just been given the go ahead to reorder.

We were asked to sit on the side of the bed for the picture.

If the new bed spreads appear to have a couple sitting on the bed, that's me and my DW!!!!

:eek: :D :rolleyes: ;) :cool:

It is not as trivial as a new bedspread. It is nasty window treatments, concave beds, cracked sinks and dirty shower curtains, A/C that works sporadically and poor maintenace in some of the public areas. If you choose to spend your money on such a cruise to enjoy good food and service, it is certainly your perogative. I expect more.

Me too. Hence, no more Zenith for me until I read about a top-to bottom refurbishment.

For the record, my bedspread on Zenith three weeks ago looked new. It was cute, in tropical colors of lime green, turquoise, lavender, green, and blue. I was a bit taken aback, though, that it not only did not coordinate with the carpeting (blue, with some deep red and cream diagonal lines on it), it also didn't coordinate with the drapes (a very nice oriental carpet pattern in burgundies and browns). And neither of these coordinated with the sofa, which was a sort of waffle-weave that might have been blue at one point but was some completely indistinct color due to wear and fading.

So, walking into the room at first sight, NONE of the carpet, drapes, bedspreads, or sofas coordinated with each other. It was all clean and comfortable, even though there was fading on the sofa and a tear in the drapes -- but really, for a nice cruise ship, what the heck? It basically came across as "late family room, last redone seven to ten years ago and patched up as we go along."

Yes, I still had a great time on my trip, but really -- I was frankly embarassed for Celebrity that they've let Zenith sink to such lows. And I was in a Zenith Suite, too. The first impression was really poor.

Are they selling this ship? Maybe that's why they don't seem to have sunk a dime into her, and it's such a pity because her staff does the same great job that I've found elsewhere on Celebrity.

There is more to a ship than a bedspread certainly but I do not choose to sail on a poorly maintained ship just for good food and service. I care about the whole package, but that is me.:)

I'd definitely rather sail with somewhat "eh" decor than with bad food and indifferent service, but my Zenith experience really was sub-par in the look-and-feel department. If I were a first-time Celebrity cruiser, I'd have been really turned off. But I knew I was going to get good food and fine service, and I sailed for the itinerary. We even had a port cancelled, but that did not bother me in the least: these things happen, it's not Celebrity's problem that the harbor master in St. George's closed the harbor to cruise ships due to high winds and rough seas.

I know the loyalty and love for Celebrity is strong...I've been a fan for three years now. I don't like being dismissed as being a crazy person who doesn't appreciate or understand cruising just because I was very disappointed by the appearance and comfort of my cabin. There wasn't anything I could do about it once on the ship -- it's not like I expected Celebrity to come and redecorate the whole thing. After all, it was clean and neat with no odors or anything. But I just wonder WHY they let the ship degenerate to that poor level of appearance. Do they not care? Is the company losing too much money to pay for routine upkeep? Are they selling the ship? I'm just left with a "what's up with that?" feeling about the whole thing.

In My Opinion, there are two main issues at play here.

First of all, RCCL have never had any idea what to do with X since they bought X back in '98. RCCL demands a certain level of profitability, but X has never made as much money as RCL, therefore RCCL is doing everything in its power to make X just as profitable as RCL - with drastic cost-cutting, heavy selling aboard their ships for additional onboard revenue and witholding investment/upgrades of X's product and customer service.

Another thing that strikes me is that instead of investment into the product and relying on word-of-mouth/TA referrals and repeat customers for business, RCL and X invest heavily in lots of very expensive TV advertising - you'll notice that most of their competitors are rarely seen on TV. This leads me to believe that the RCCL strategy is to bring in the new/first time cruisers with lots of hype and appealing ads and milk all the money they can from them - but it doens't really matter if they like their experience or not, because the ships are always sailing full of new/inexperienced cruisers anyway - so why invest in new bedding, fix dents in the walls, improve food or replace beat-up old furnishings and carpets?

I honestly believe that there are only two real reasons Century went in for drydock - adding balconies (and more staterooms) during its necessary mechanical overhaul will equal higher ticket prices which equal profits - and that grillroom will certainly bring in more profits too! The other is to provide grist for the PR mill - since there really aren't any exciting newbuilds coming out for X in the next couple of years, X needed some "happy news" which they hope will add glitter throughout the fleet.

Comfy beds and pillows simply aren't profitable - they're expensive to install and you can't charge extra for them. But a rock climbing wall? Not only is it cheap to install, but you can advertise the heck out of it on TV drawing in more people who may have never considered a cruise, and you can charge extra for it over and over and over again! X doesn't have rock climbing walls - so X gets ads w/ delusionals nattering on as if they were Sally Field or Sean Connery - who are so caught up in their own dreamworld that they'll likely never notice that the beds are crap, the furniture is worn and torn, the folks at the front desk are incompetent, etc...

Interesting analysis -- enjoyable writing. I see you generally sail Holland. I have never tried that line -- might I assume that you feel Holland does a much better job all the way around -- food, maintenance, etc. Just curious.

Bedding expectations have been raised because hotel chains and some savy cruiselines are upgrading theirs. If it's not a pillowtop mattress it might as well be straw.

I certainly complained about the bed on Century last year when I wrote about my Baltics cruise. It was the worst thing I had ever slept on -- the one day that hubby napped on my side, he couldn't believe I had been sleeping on that lumpy thing (his side wasn't as bad). I didn't know I could ask for an egg crate, than, but I loved the ship none-the-less. I just got back from an NCL med cruise and one thing good about that line/ship (Jewel) was the best bed I have ever had on a cruise -- could barely tell there was a crack, and the linens and duvet (not a bedspread, a duvet), were an excellent quality. I am sooo looking forward to my March cruise on refurbished Century -- looks like the linens and duvet and decent beds have been included in her redo.

I know the loyalty and love for Celebrity is strong...I've been a fan for three years now. I don't like being dismissed as being a crazy person who doesn't appreciate or understand cruising just because I was very disappointed by the appearance and comfort of my cabin. There wasn't anything I could do about it once on the ship -- it's not like I expected Celebrity to come and redecorate the whole thing. After all, it was clean and neat with no odors or anything. But I just wonder WHY they let the ship degenerate to that poor level of appearance. Do they not care? Is the company losing too much money to pay for routine upkeep? Are they selling the ship? I'm just left with a "what's up with that?" feeling about the whole thing.

Leela, you are far from crazy. I always enjoy reading your posts and highly agree with this one.

I did Zenith to Bermuda last Sept. It was my first Celebrity cruise. After reading many posts on this board, the positives and the negatives, I didn't know what to expect on my first cruise. Let me say--the cruise itself was fantastic, so much so that we are repeating it again this Sept.

BUT--

The things you described about the ship itself--soft goods condition-- were right on target. I was simply flabbergasted at it's state, ESPECIALLY when I saw how wonderful the service was and how super the food was. The staff were hard working and constantly cleaning, polishing, etc.

I have no other X experience to compare this to and like I said we are coming back next Sept regardless. I really feel there isn't a comparable Bermuda intinerary. But Zenith deserves better treatment by X. I too was left with the same feeling, "what's up with this?"

Have just come off Infinity to Alaska. We as a party of 8 'Brits' were very disappointed with the cabins. The bedspread & curtains were not what you expect with 5 star cruise ships looking a bit 'tired', some of the door hinge fixings 'fell' when opened. Bits of the veneer on panelling was chipped. For 6 of us our cabin stewards left a lot to be desired, minimum effort for top tips.

Will not be going back with Celebrity too qiuickly.

Agree 100% with comments, especially jogging track problems. Maybe if someone got injured because of this problem and sued Celebrity then they might realise what people are saying about Celebrity's apathy.....

i agree with Leela, especially about the niche market -- Zenith has the best itinerary and I love the size of the ship and the service. I try to go every year but, I have to say, it does need work. It will be a real shame if they do sell the boat instead of upgrading it. For me the other available options to Bermuda on the same size ships and ports are non-existent -- been there -- done that! Not interested in Explorer size ship --too big for me -- too many people -- genuinely not interested in an amusement park theme as well as not interested in staying at Wharf and paying more for a 5 day cruise than a 7 day -- and Zenith spends more time in port than Empress. So for now I take Zenith for the service and the itinerary and tolerate the rest. But I truly do wish I could have it all!

I have sailed with Celebrity 4 times in the past and have booked the Millennium for the Med in the fall of this year. After reading all of the negative posts that are on these boards, I am not sure I want to continue with my plans for the fall. In the past, I have enjoyed sailing with Celebrity, with the exception of the Galaxy 3 years ago. The ship was in dire need of some work in the staterooms and I felt the food was not as good as it has been in the past.

I feel I am a seasoned cruiser since my husband and I have sailed on all of the major lines several times in the past. This cruise in the fall will be our 28th. cruise. I usually enjoy all of my cruises, and I am not hard to please. However, I am not sure I want to sail on a ship that has worn and tattered staterooms and public areas. I do not live like that at home, and I sure do not want to live like that on a cruise ship. Another issue I am concerned with is the sewage smell that seems to continue to be a problem on the Millennium, and have been following the boards to see if the problem has been totally corrected.

Since I have sailed on other lines, I feel there are a lot of excellent choices out there on other lines. They also offer excellent surroundings, service and good food.

I think part of the problem was the merger with RCCL, top level management leaving, and older ships that have not been maintained. What a shame they are receiving all of the negative publicity, and maybe it is time they start to do something about it. I do follow many of the cruise critic boards, and feel Celebrity has more complaints than others at this time. Of course, there are always complainers on any of the lines. I certainly feel Celebrity is not in the same "higher standards" category that they have been in the past.

I certainly hope conditions will improve in the future for them.

Sandy

I have sailed with Celebrity 4 times in the past and have booked the Millennium for the Med in the fall of this year. After reading all of the negative posts that are on these boards, I am not sure I want to continue with my plans for the fall.

Please don't be swayed by those people only find negative things to say. Our Millennium cruise to the Med last June was the most amazing cruise ever. Europe was wonderful and the Millennium made it the vacation of our lives! Everything about the Mille was great! The service was outstanding, food was above average cruise fare and the ship itself was in beautiful condition.

I am not the kind of person who looks for problems, so I wasn't snooping around trying to find mold in the bathroom or scratches on the cabinets, or stains on public furniture....everything looked fine to me.

I can say that I was on the Star Princess when it was brand new and it wasn't in any better shape than any RCI or Celebrity ship I was on, with the exception of the Century, which did have stained bathroom sinks that were obvious, but nothing that would ruin our cruise. The Dawn Princess, who after just coming out of dry dock was in terrible shape....it's apparent to me that Princess doesn't take very good care of their ships.

I would return to Millennium in a heartbeat, I am so jealous of those people who get to cruise her without me!! :)

I am not the kind of person who looks for problems, so I wasn't snooping around trying to find mold in the bathroom or scratches on the cabinets, or stains on public furniture....everything looked fine to me.

Some of us who have reported disappointing issues with our recent trips aren't the kind who "snoop around" either. The things we saw were readily visible, without playing detective.

That said, kaiemiascott2, I would say that the newer the ship, the better shape it is going to be in. Millenium is newer than Galaxy after all. I can understand where you are coming from, though. The best you can do is to shop around, do some research, weigh the reviews and what is ultimately most important to you, and then decide if you want to change or not. I considered cancelling my Summit trip that I have booked for next year, but after shopping around and comparing prices and dates, and also after seeing 100 pictures from someone who took a tour of Summit about two weeks ago, I decided to stay where I am.

Maybe you can find some recent pictures from the Millenium on the web to look at. So many people cruise and post pictures that I'll be there's someone on this board who can help you out with that. I know that seeing actual recent pictures of the Summit (as opposed to brocheure photos, which of course were taken when everything was brand new) helped me to feel positively about my upcoming trip.

Archived