Duct Tape, Collapsible Water Bottles, Hi-lite Pens, Anything Else?

mahreeya

If you forget your nite-lite, you might try this. On Royal Caribbean's Voyager Class ships, the TV has several music channels with no picture. Turn the sound all the way down. When your eyes adjust to the dark, you'll notice a faint glow from the tube which will just barely illuminate the room but not interfere with your sleep. This might work on other cruise lines as well. Please note that on many ships, turning the bathroom light off will also affect the plugs in the bathroom, so a nite-lite would not work.

As for the "key", I use a cotton sleeve that I keep it in. If I'm in a bathing suit (and I only use bathing suits with pockets), I use a safety pin to pin the sleeve in the pocket so it doesn't slip out.

Gerald that reminds me of my first cruise and after a LONG night of partaking of various beverages (all alcoholic). My husband had one of those swimsuits with a little pocket in it so he put our cabin card in that pocket. We were in/out of the hottub all evening and finally stumbled our way back to our cabin. We suddenly realized they ALL looked exactly alike...geesh! He did in fact find our proper cabin (this was about 1 am and several drunks saying "shhhhhhhhh" as we stumbled around). But when he reached in for his card it wasn't there! He laughed and decided it must be in the hottub so off he went to find it! Our room steward must have heard us making too much noise and he let me in the cabin. Husband came back wetter than ever, had to DIVE to the bottom of three hottubs several times before finding his card!

We still call that the infamous "HOT TUB NIGHT" and will laugh for years about the fun we had and the funny ending to the evening.

Don't forget safety pins and a small sewing kit. And a bottle of champagne for a bon voyage party! and dancing shoes? I am getting carried away!

One more thing: I found Ginger ale made with real ginger at the health food store for 79 cents a can. I bought some just in case my kid gets a little queasy. They also had ginger candy, but the clerk said it might be too strong a flavor for a child.

i really loved having the hand gel and the alcohol wipes....clean everything you touch...use the gel ALOT. and guess what...you don't get sick :)

also i always travel with a small flashlight, a map of the area we're going to and a tiny journal to keep notes (or maybe my pda this time). and zip bags..the really large ones are great to keep inspector's paws out of your undies. take a sewing kit...2 needles, a yard or so of threads to match your clothes, cheap scissors, steam-a seam tape (great to 'save those hems') alwrapped around a small piece of cardboard. also i try to have some way of carrying my room "key" safely and not lost in the bottom of my purse somewhere...i've tried several methods...found nothing yet that is elegant and works...ideas???? anyone

My family went on a cruise last year and I was worried about the kids loosing therir room keys so we took red, white, blue, black, brown and assorted graphic lancets and went straight to the lobby to have our cards punched. We could carry our room keys and our coke cards 24/7 Irst time no one lost their keys, so I guess it worked. Just a thought, Julie in Omaha

Just got back from my fantastic Alaskan cruise and the suggestions here made a huge difference! Gotta say that if you plan on bringing an air freshener, don't do what I did and bring one of those gel fresheners with the raspberry scent. You know the kind... looks like a plastic christmas tree where you pull the top up, revealing the gel underneath. Well, I made the brilliant decision to place the air freshener into the luggage with the dirty laundry on the way home and upon opening it was engulfed in the stink reminiscent of some very old and well-used outhouses. :eek: I'll have to lysol out the luggage as well as let it air out to get the stench out. Maybe I should have brought the regular neutralizer instead. :D

what is the lavender oil for? also, where do you find collapsible water bottles?

:confused:

I was reading a message board that listed things to take, and now I can't find it. There were some good ideas: Zip lock bags, duct tape, hi-lighter pens (to hi-light activities on the ship in the newsletter), collapsible water bottles, hand sanitizer, lavender oil, room fresheners, insulated cup holders...Anything else?

I just thought of one more thing I don't think I saw on the big list (and PLEASE forgive me if someone else said it and I missed it)... we are germ-o-phobes and aren't big fans of the little soaps they provide on board so I am bringing along a small bottle of antibacterial hand soap (not purell, but actual SOAP) to put in our bathroom. Just my 2 cents.

If you take a Glade Plugins with night light you will not have to turn on your TV or take flashlights. Works great! I like the Spa Fresh Scent. It is not over powering.

Cowtowngirl...

Found you on here. See you are going on the Rhapsady again. We are heading to Alaska with Holland America Sept 29. Have fun...I know you will :D

Some things to add to your lists if your going to Alaska...Coat, Warm Hat, and Gloves.

Last time we were there it was cold when you went out on deck to see the glaciers.

After all you are sitting in a big glass of ice water.

Another thing to bring, and people will love you for this, Gas-X.

Be prepared is my moto!

You might want to add to the list is a hat to keep the sun off the head.

Carol

For those of you new to the marvels of duct tape, be aware that you don't need to take a big old roll with you--Magellans and other travel sites sell compact travel rolls. My husband never goes ANYwhere without it, and his insistence on bringing it has proven very wise in a number of weird situations.

1992 Wind StarNice1993 Wind SpiritSingapore1995 Wind SpiritSt. Thomas1996 Renaissance IIIBali-Singapore1998 Radisson DiamondAruba-Costa Rica1999 Wind SongLisbon-Barcelona 2002 Wind SpiritBelize2003 Wind SpiritSt. Thomas 2003 Wind SurfCopenhagen2004 Wind SurfVenice-Rome

For those of you new to the marvels of duct tape, be aware that you don't need to take a big old roll with you--Magellans and other travel sites sell compact travel rolls. My husband never goes ANYwhere without it, and his insistence on bringing it has proven very wise in a number of weird situations.

Maybe this is obvious, but also don't forget a small pair of scissors if you're taking duct tape, otherwise it's a little tricky to rip!

I just picked up a "Flat Pack Duck Tape" which is neatly packaged and about 1/4 inch high at Walmart (near the paint dept). I saw lots of different colors in the regular round format, but only silver for the mini-size - which is perfect for the cruise!

If you want to use your regular liquid detergent from home fill up a plastic film canister and put it in a ziploc bag. I have never had a leak. I carry liquid dish soap that way, and powdered laundry soap in a canister that mini m&m candies came in.

Also, they now have out small bottles of sunscreen that have a clip attached to them. You can have it hooked to the bag you carry with you so it is always where you can find it.
bigmerle1966,

Where can I find those bottles of sunscreen with a clip on them? I havent' seen them here (in Canada). Can you give me a band name (so I can search on the 'net)?

Great idea!

Tanya

love the floating lounges that are like that too. .
I thought about taking one with me for HMC - but after reading this thread, there's not going be room in the suitcase!:D So, if I have to leave something at home the floating lounge is out.:D

Lavender oil is a scent that helps you sleep. Collapsible water bottles are at camping supply stores, but I got the most use out of my bottle from Brita with built in water filter (found at Pathmark). Water in Collapsible bottle got hot. But I had it with me whenever I found a water cooler.

Hello, I am new to this cruise critic thing, but have been reading all these great ideas. When all of you mention a power strip, is this the same thing as a power bar, that has lots of plugs in it? is there a special outage needed in the cabins? I have cruised about 4 times before and never used one. Please explain. thanks,

Gandolf. My daughter and I are sailing on the Summit on Sept 3rd out of Seward Alaska, it is our first crusie to Alaska and only her 2nd cruise ever! WE are very excited to be going.

sunscreen with clips ... check in most drug stores in travel size section.. or Walmart has them also.. or maybe Avon ... check out the Avon site..
Avon? I'll check it out, thanks. I haven't seen it at Walmart here. But I'll keep looking. Great idea.

Thank you.

Tanya :)

Archived