What if your luggage is over the max. limit?

ChaddyWa

Anyone ever have their luggage exceed the maximum 50 pound limit for checked luggage? Mine is awfully close (45-50 pounds) and I'm just wondering what happens if exceeds the limit. Anyone have any experience or trouble with this?

It's $50 if it exceeds the 50 lb. limit. I know because last Feb after coming off the Liberty, two of our bags were over the 50 lb. limit and our carry-on's were PACKED, we couldn't possible remove any items to decrease the weight. We were charged $100 in "over weight limit" fees.

But I've since figured out a way to avoid this....

Take a large bag that can be easily flattened out in your checked luggage on the way to your cruise.

After the cruise, take that bag and take stuff out of your luggage and stuff it in that bag (which is still small enough to be a carry-on).

It's also a good way to carry home breakables that you purchased on the ship or at shore.

Also, if your bag is THAT close to the limit and you haven't even left for your cruise then you should seriously consider doing what I suggested above, PLUS dividing the contents between two pieces of luggage.

You ALWAYS come home with more than you leave with.

Does like a school bag pack count as a carry on or can i still take another actual carry on small suitcase or as you recommended a flattened bag. I know some airlines don't count like back packs as a carry on. Kinda like a purse. I'm flying American and Delta so I'm not sure. Anyone one know?

It's $50 if it exceeds the 50 lb. limit. I know because last Feb after coming off the Liberty, two of our bags were over the 50 lb. limit and our carry-on's were PACKED, we couldn't possible remove any items to decrease the weight. We were charged $100 in "over weight limit" fees.

How do the end up charging you? Send a bill to your home address or what?

we got caught with one bag overweight coming home from cruise. Fortunately we had packed everything in those "space" bags. The ones that you can remove all air so everything packs flat. It was a piece of cake to simple unzip, grab a couple bags and transfer them to the lighter suitcase and to our carry on. We saw others with their bags wide open in the check in line with clothes all over the place.

When do they notify you that your bag is overweight?!

At the airport when you're checking in.

Anyone ever have their luggage exceed the maximum 50 pound limit for checked luggage? Mine is awfully close (45-50 pounds) and I'm just wondering what happens if exceeds the limit. Anyone have any experience or trouble with this?

We've had this happened before and been able to transfer to a lighter bag. The alternative was paying $80 to check the over-limit bag. Since that time we've packed an extra bag we can use for the return trip to avoid that extra charge!

They let you know as soon as you check in b/c your bag is weighed immediately - even at the curb. And if it isn't, they will page you and you won't get on the airplane until you have paid the penalty, either with cash or credit card.

They let you know as soon as you check in b/c your bag is weighed immediately - even at the curb. And if it isn't, they will page you and you won't get on the airplane until you have paid the penalty, either with cash or credit card.

Thanks I'll be packing a large foldable bag then!

Guest YesitDonna

Depending on the airline you can have up to 3 checked bags. Your always better off taking an extra piece for free then chance a bag being over weight. After our last cruise they weighed our biggest bag and it weighed 49.60 pounds! LOL Talk about cutting it close! Seeing as that was our biggest bag they only weighed that one... when we weighed our smaller bag when we got home it was 55 LOL Got one over on them! I would have taken something out and carried it by hand if I had to. I always keep an extra plastic bag in the zipper part just in case and it doesn't weigh anything. This cruise is just a 5 day so not as much going and of course I am flying Jet Blue who allows 70lbs per bag. lol

I flew US air and ended up with a bag on the return flight that was 52. I offered to take something out, but the woman let it slide. The other bag was like 42.

Gets heavy.

As for carryons. You can take a personal bag plus a carry on. The personal bag could be a purse or a small knapsack. You just have to read the airline website to find out. We were only allowed 2 free checked bags.

They also were VERY picky that the carry on bags fit in the little suggested luggage display. I have flown with my carry on suitcase before, but for US Air it was too thick, so it needed to be checked on my way there. Made sure my carryon was not overstuffed on the way home.

We found out the hard way that there was an over-weight limit for our 59 pound bag last year before our Miracle cruise. American Airlines imposed a $25 over limit fee. It didn't hurt too bad since we were using frequent flier miles. This year we are definitely packing lighter!

We have also had to pay the overlimit fee as well. Delta charges $25 extra for up to 74.9 pounds. If you hit 75 lbs. or over you would be charged $100.

We always pack a collapsable duffle bag in our luggage when we leave. Then when we come home we know we have an extra bag to pack things in.

There is a travel scale that can be purchased for $9.95. (picture below) (Link here)Thanks to it, we have saved LOTS of money. We know before we leave how much our luggage wieghs and fix the problem there.

kt689_dt.jpg

Thanks! I think I may just use the old fashion bathroom scale. Both gets the job done. I was also wondering if I take only take a carry on and one large suitcase, am I able to take the large suitcase with me up til I board and have them manually store it underneath the plane and then when I get off the plane pick it up again as I'm exiting. Or is there a weight/size limitation for that? I'm assuming a 45 pound suitcase may be to large for that...or am I wrong? I'd like to avoid having it checked in...I would just rather know that its with me?

I packed a lot of alcohol into my bags on my last trip - 2 cases of beer and additional bottles of wine and tequilla. Well my main large piece of luggage weighed in at 83 lbs...$75 extra charge (Southwest). They asked me if I wanted to take items out of my bag or spread them around, but there wasn't much I could do. The baggage check-in person said that large bags are no longer in style and if I had carried in several bags with a lesser weight (each under 50lbs) there would be no extra charge. Next time I'll take 5 small bags!

How do the end up charging you? Send a bill to your home address or what?

You pull out your credit card and hand it to them....:D

That is why we do two smaller bags rather than risk being 40+ on a large bag.

If you go to Europe, some of their airlines are total weight (not per bag) (and the limit is in Kilos) ;)

Happened to me on a return flight after a cruise. The lady behind the counter went to find me a cardboard box to pack some of things in (I was only checking one bag) and when she returned with the box, my bag was gone! Someone put it on the belt thinking it was cleared! I was very lucky, she did not charge me!

Be prepared to pay whatever your airline charges (they are different).

Thanks! I think I may just use the old fashion bathroom scale. Both gets the job done. I was also wondering if I take only take a carry on and one large suitcase, am I able to take the large suitcase with me up til I board and have them manually store it underneath the plane and then when I get off the plane pick it up again as I'm exiting. Or is there a weight/size limitation for that? I'm assuming a 45 pound suitcase may be to large for that...or am I wrong? I'd like to avoid having it checked in...I would just rather know that its with me?

You are not likely to get to take the large item with you.

Go to the website of the airline you are flying. somewhere on it you will find their requirements for baggage, weight, carry-ons, etc. And they will show their xtra charges for over weight or xtra bags.

Whatever it says there is what they will do.

Dan

What happens? All the things that the previous posters have said LOL

What a sight it was on the return to be over the limit. I was not going to hand over the cash, so my friend and I made a spectacle of ourselves trying to put things in our carry on and on our person! It was hilarious since we were very early for our flight. Had we been running late it would not have been funny at all. We were still over the limit and the airline person had mercy on us! Thank you Continental.

I will leave at least a 5 pound cushion when leaving home.

I also was checking out at company called http://www.cruiseshippers.com. They use FedEx to pick your luggage up at home, deliver it to the port and pick it back up at the port and return it to your home. They said it can be used one way as well. I might use it for the return trip. It can be as expensive as the over charges, but at least you do not have to lug it all over the place yourself.

Mind you I keep telling myself that "I will pack less"

Archived