What if your luggage is over the max. limit?

ChaddyWa

Anyone ever have their luggage exceed the maximum 50 pound limit for checked luggage? Mine is awfully close (45-50 pounds) and I'm just wondering what happens if exceeds the limit. Anyone have any experience or trouble with this?

They will "sock it to ya" if you are overweight. You will pay the overage right there at the counter; cash or credit card. Another incentive to pack well and light.

Just a tip. If you want to take an extra carry bag, TOTES makes a travel bag made from sturdy light weight nylon. It zips cleverly to a small square about 4 inches. When opened, it is about 17 inches high and 15-16 inches in width with soft sides. You can really stuff it. It has a fairly sturdy handle. I usually put my souvenier purchases in there. It really holds a lot and, in order to keep to the "2 carry-on" rule, I simply put my small purse in the top of the bag or in my other carry on. The TOTES bag is very inexpensive...think I paid $5-6 for it. It also doubles as a beach bag for shore excursions and at the pool.

They will "sock it to ya" if you are overweight. You will pay the overage right there at the counter; cash or credit card. Another incentive to pack well and light.

Just a tip. If you want to take an extra carry bag, TOTES makes a travel bag made from sturdy light weight nylon. It zips cleverly to a small square about 4 inches. When opened, it is about 17 inches high and 15-16 inches in width with soft sides. You can really stuff it. It has a fairly sturdy handle. I usually put my souvenier purchases in there. It really holds a lot and, in order to keep to the "2 carry-on" rule, I simply put my small purse in the top of the bag or in my other carry on. The TOTES bag is very inexpensive...think I paid $5-6 for it. It also doubles as a beach bag for shore excursions and at the pool.

Does a back pack and another small carry on count as the "2 carry-on" rule or will my back pack only count.

WHile it may vary from airline to airline, most I have flown have generally the same guideline regarding luggage.

The following is from the US airlines policy regarding carry-ons:

Carry-On Baggage

In addition to one carry-on bag, customers may bring one personal item, which includes a purse, briefcase, laptop, small daypack (small bag used to carry books, magazines, sack lunch, etc.) or diaper bag.

Also be aware of the following limitations:

• When baggage is carried onboard the aircraft, it must be stowed in carry-on compartments of the aircraft, under a seat, or in an overhead compartment, approved for the carriage of such baggage.
  • US Airways assumes no responsibility for liability of baggage, or other items, carried in the passenger compartment of the aircraft.
  • Operational or safety considerations may require limitations to the allowable carry-on baggage on a specific flights. US Airways reserves the right to determine the suitability of any bag to be carried in the cabin of the aircraft.

It's happened to me with super big suitcases. I just had to pay for the extra weight, which made me mad. Sometimes if you have two suitcases and one is under weight and the other over weight they STILL make you pay extra, which is why you see people shuffling stuff from one suitcase to the other at the check-in desk. It's pretty silly at times. And then you fly 3 hours with 1/2 inch of free space all around, no food, and only 1/2 can of soda! European airlines do a little better thankfully.

I seem to be the queen of the 50 pound suitcases, LOL. I weigh them now at home, and try to keep them at 49 lbs (they always seem to weight a lb more at the airport)... also, I learned from a good friend on here to take an extra bag. Also, if you have time post cruise, you can ship a box back home (souvenirs, etc) which will save you, and if you ship economy, it won't cost much... airlines are becoming more strict about this... it will cost you less to ship than it will to pay the extra weight.

Does a back pack and another small carry on count as the "2 carry-on" rule or will my back pack only count.

The backpack would be one piece, your purse (for example) would be the second piece. A "carry-on" can be defined as anything other than your physical person that you take on the plane, I guess.

When we checked in at Tampa Airport for our Air-Tran flight, my Mom's luggage was over-weight. The attendant made her take some things out and said "That should do it." We continued to check in the rest of our pieces and all seemed OK. When we arrived in LaGuardia, that particular piece of luggage did not, nor has it shown up since. We're wondering if it was still over-limit, pulled aside and "LOST." In anycase it is a terrible hassle to file claims for lost luggage. This may or may not be the cause, but why did all of the other pieces arrive?

I will never again chance weight and will stay under by at least a few pounds!

If you are within 5 lubs, they should be leniant, depending on the airline. However, I found some really mean agents before. Take two bags, and overflow it into another bag, if the agent wants to charge.

It's called Karma dude.

It's happened to me with super big suitcases. I just had to pay for the extra weight, which made me mad. Sometimes if you have two suitcases and one is under weight and the other over weight they STILL make you pay extra, which is why you see people shuffling stuff from one suitcase to the other at the check-in desk. It's pretty silly at times. And then you fly 3 hours with 1/2 inch of free space all around, no food, and only 1/2 can of soda! European airlines do a little better thankfully.

That is the problem with a "super big" suitcase. You have to remember there are a number of airline folks that have to heft that 70 lb'er. :eek:

That is why they discourage them with the extra cost. :mad: It has nothing to do with how full the plane is, or how many sodas they provide.

As for people shuflfing stuff, that just shows they were not prepared. It is easy to check the weight and have sufficient margin that you don't have to dig into one to add to the other. When an agent allows that it inconviences all the others in line, but I see it as good customer relations to allow passengers to do it. :D

I am a wimp when it comes to being able to lift stuff, and I know if I can lift the bag (or whatever), it weighs less than 40# b/c that is my absolute max. Our bags are never over-weight (wish I could say the same for the owners:eek: ).

That is the problem with a "super big" suitcase. You have to remember there are a number of airline folks that have to heft that 70 lb'er. :eek:

That is why they discourage them with the extra cost. :mad: It has nothing to do with how full the plane is, or how many sodas they provide.

That is one of the reasons but don't forget, they have been doing it for years and years so why now? The main reason is to cut down on FUEL. With the high cost increases in fuel, airlines are looking for ways to cut down on the weight so they can save on fuel on each flight. DH works for a major airline and they are always encouraging employees to come up with new ideas to cut down on extra weight that a plane is carrying. When you see the extras that airlines have eliminated, it's not always because they are cutting down for the sake of offering less to the passengers....it's perhaps an attempt to lessen the weight of the airplane and therefore using less fuel. One example is that they are no longer offering newspapers in the hospitality class. Newspapers weigh a lot and by eliminating them to most passengers, they can save on fuel. If they charge you for the extra pounds in luggage, it's probably to discourage passengers from overpacking but also to pay for the extra fuel that is used.

BTW: Most airlines not only have a size restriction on carry-ons but also on the weight. The airline we travel on has a 22 pound limit on carry-ons. Those roll-on ones weigh close to 10 pounds before you've put anything in it so you really can't pack much it them :( . Last time, we had to check ours as it was 25 pounds. Luckily we had only checked 3 between the 2 of us.

It's called Karma dude.

You must be talking about his "tipping" post.

On our last cruise coming back from San Juan, when they weighed my luggage I was at exactly 50 pounds.

chaddywa,

Your luggage will be weighed at the time you check in for your flight. Stcy & Tim is right. If any piece of your luggage exceeds 50#, you will be charged a $50.00 overweight charge. This is due & payable BEFORE you board the aircraft. (not a chance that they'll bill you).

The scales they use at the check in counter are digital, and if your bag is even the slightest bit over 50.00# they WILL charge you.

I also have a digital bathroom scale at home so always weigh my luggage before I leave for the airport just to see where it's at, and if there's ANYTHING I can live without & remove before my taxi arrives. (usually there's not)

On my last cruise, I was taking some gifts to some friends in Cozumel, so my luggage was WAY overweight, and I knew that before arriving at the airport, so just chalked it up to experience, paid the $50 and considered it part of the cost of my cruise.

Another option for you to consider is: All Carnival ships sell a nice compactable carry on (on wheels) in their gift shops that will hold a LOT of "stuff". They also sell a varity of Logo canvas type shoulder carry ons too. so if you find you've bought more "stuff" than your suitcase will hold, this is another optionfor you.

Tip: The gift shops ALWAYS hold a BIG sale the day before you disembark where everything in the shop is marked down 20-50%(excluding fine jewlery), so if you can hold out that long, you'll get a better deal.

I'm one who ALWAYS overpacks. But after 18 cruises have finally learned that it's actually better to pack light, not have to pay the overweight charge, and have more room in my suitcase to fill with souveniers:-)

Pack light, have FUN, and submit a review when you get back.

Annie

That is one of the reasons but don't forget, they have been doing it for years and years so why now? The main reason is to cut down on FUEL. With the high cost increases in fuel, airlines are looking for ways to cut down on the weight so they can save on fuel on each flight. DH works for a major airline and they are always encouraging employees to come up with new ideas to cut down on extra weight that a plane is carrying. When you see the extras that airlines have eliminated, it's not always because they are cutting down for the sake of offering less to the passengers....it's perhaps an attempt to lessen the weight of the airplane and therefore using less fuel. One example is that they are no longer offering newspapers in the hospitality class. Newspapers weigh a lot and by eliminating them to most passengers, they can save on fuel. If they charge you for the extra pounds in luggage, it's probably to discourage passengers from overpacking but also to pay for the extra fuel that is used.

Airlines are certainly worried about weight and its effects on their fuel costs. I find it hard to believe they eliminated newspapers for their weight. It would seem more practical cost cut based on the newspaper price or magazine price.

With a two bag / 50# limit they are allowing 100# total. So why would they not make it a total limit like some foreign airlines ? When we boarded Qantas in Venice, their limit was on the total of all bags.

So would the airline rather have one 100# bag or two 50# bags. For the sake of their employees backs, I venture it would be the latter.

Airlines are certainly worried about weight and its effects on their fuel costs. I find it hard to believe they eliminated newspapers for their weight. It would seem more practical cost cut based on the newspaper price or magazine price.

With a two bag / 50# limit they are allowing 100# total. So why would they not make it a total limit like some foreign airlines ? When we boarded Qantas in Venice, their limit was on the total of all bags.

So would the airline rather have one 100# bag or two 50# bags. For the sake of their employees backs, I venture it would be the latter.

And some airlines only allow 2 checked bags per person. Last week in Miami, American Airlines wanted $80 to check a 3rd bag.
Wow! We flew United to Vancouver for our last cruise, checked 3 bags. Of the 3, one of them weighed in at 51.5 lbs. We didn't have to pay anything extra....

We find that it is mostly shoes that will put us over. We carry a couple of cloth bags with us and if we are over, we take out shoes and also Jeans are quite heavy. Amazing how so many people don't realize that there is a limit. We used to use the enormous suitcases and they easily could be 75 pounds, so now we

have gone to medium and it is much easier to keep under 50 pounds.

Does like a school bag pack count as a carry on or can i still take another actual carry on small suitcase or as you recommended a flattened bag. I know some airlines don't count like back packs as a carry on. Kinda like a purse. I'm flying American and Delta so I'm not sure. Anyone one know?

Delta does consider your purse as a carryon. I always take 2 carryons & place my purse in 1 of them so I am at Delta's limit of 2 carryons. We also ck the weight before we leave so we don't have any incidents at the airport. When we return alot of the airports have scales at the checkin point, which we we use. If you need more than 2 large bags & 2 caryons you might want to consider repacking as you probably have to much stuff. We enjoy dressing for dinner ea nite so that includes our formal clothes & dresses clothes. Last time we (DH & I) ea. packed in 1 lg. & 2 carryons (and still was under the 50 # mark), then put our shoes in another med. size so we would have room for souvieners coming home.

On the last cruise I was so anxious about the weight limit, I must have packed and rearranged my suitcases at least 5 times. Thankfully we were not over the limit. Coming back last year we saw a couple who had to unpack and rearrange their luggage at the check in counter. She was willing to pay but the clerk suggested rearranging the luggage which she did. I only can hope that I take only what I need in Oct. I think its the "shoes":) that do me in. Happy cruising everyone;)

Archived