What is Virgin Gorda & the Baths?

many cruises

Virgin Gorda is one of the British Virgin Islands. Most ships make their port call at Tortola and passengers wishing to visit Virgin Gorda either take an excursion boat there or go on their own by ferry.

The Baths is a beach area with very large bolders on it, it is unique and picturesque. Read more here: http://www.islands.com/virgingorda/

Just to expand a little on bruce-r's post.

Virgin Gorda is about a 1/2 hour boat ride from Tortola. "The Baths" are part of the equivilent to a US State park. There are some shops etc around the parking lot where you are dropped off. There is a trail that is fairly steep that leads down to a beach where there are lockers and snorkling equipment is available fro rent. To the far left of this beach is a trail head to "Devils trail" which leads through "The bathcs", pools of shallow water surrounded by and beneath some huge boulders. the trail ends at another beach area.

This has to be one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. I wouldn't miss it if I hadn't been there yet.

A photo from the second beach looking back toward the trail.

Day4024.JPG.beab75e69958c2489e9792b261020d8e.JPG

Saw your photos (beautiful) and read your captions. We will be on the'

Liberty in March'07 and want to do a Baths tour. Am I correct that the

Patouche tour would be the easiest to do for a 58 year old with asthma?

Do you need to be a great swimmer to swim in from the boat? How far

is it? How deep is the water? Looks like this would be easier than the

other tour; walking down a steep trail and then back up.

Thanks for your recommendation.

joyce

Saw your photos (beautiful) and read your captions. We will be on the'

Liberty in March'07 and want to do a Baths tour. Am I correct that the

Patouche tour would be the easiest to do for a 58 year old with asthma?

Do you need to be a great swimmer to swim in from the boat? How far

is it? How deep is the water? Looks like this would be easier than the

other tour; walking down a steep trail and then back up.

Thanks for your recommendation.

joyce

Thank you. I think it is much easier to swim in and certainly cooler. You should be able to swim a little, but don't need to be a good or great swimmer. They have life belts for weak swimmers - should be able to see some wearing them in some of the photos.

The water I would guess was about 20 ft deep at the boat, but could vary depending on where they anchor. Another guess might be 100 yards to shore. Some people just swam around the boat and that was all they intended to do. There were several guides who assisted those that needed and they kept an eye on everyone swimming in.

I'm sure you could bring an inflatable raft if so inclined.

We went on the half day tour - it was from about 9am to 1pm. They also have a full day tour.

I'm now thinking 100 yards for the swim in might be a high estimate- it was probably less.

Originally AllenF arranged a charter for us, but we merged with the FrequentFloater group, so they both would know more about the arrangements than I do.

We went on the half day tour - it was from about 9am to 1pm. They also have a full day tour.

I'm now thinking 100 yards for the swim in might be a high estimate- it was probably less.

Originally AllenF arranged a charter for us, but we merged with the FrequentFloater group, so they both would know more about the arrangements than I do.

Who is AllenF or the FrequentFloater group?

joyce

Just to expand a little on bruce-r's post.

Virgin Gorda is about a 1/2 hour boat ride from Tortola. "The Baths" are part of the equivilent to a US State park. There are some shops etc around the parking lot where you are dropped off. There is a trail that is fairly steep that leads down to a beach where there are lockers and snorkling equipment is available fro rent. To the far left of this beach is a trail head to "Devils trail" which leads through "The bathcs", pools of shallow water surrounded by and beneath some huge boulders. the trail ends at another beach area.

This has to be one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. I wouldn't miss it if I hadn't been there yet.

A photo from the second beach looking back toward the trail.

Can you get to the Baths from St Thomas or St Marrteens?

• 3 months later...

Thought I would bring this to the top because it had some good basic answers.

SpaLaday, if you are still interested, I did email Patouche to see if they would be operating on Christmas Day and they will be. We will be there on NCL Pearl and may book with them. Still trying to find out what my group wants to do.

Archived