Bringing Wine Onboard

marienbad

Does HAL allow passengers to bring a couple of bottles of wine or champagne onboard?
Yes you can bring wine on board. On my last cruise we had a couple board with a push cart with 3 case's of wine:eek: Of course it was a 62 day cruise. Also when we got to Austrailia they bought more onshore.

On my last cruise we had a couple board with a push cart with 3 case's of wine:eek: Of course it was a 62 day cruise.
That would account for the quantity. We sailed once and I saw at the terminal entrance a cart with maybe a dozen cases all marked with the same cabin number. I thought even if they were sailing B2B on the 10-day itinerary they would be hard pressed to drink that much. Later I learned there was a wine tasting group sailing with us ... then I understood.

If you want to bring three or four bottles of wine on board in your luggage, what's the easiest and safest way to do so? Won't be flying so the concern is breakage going through HAL security and them delivering said luggage to your cabin.

If you want to bring three or four bottles of wine on board in your luggage, what's the easiest and safest way to do so? Won't be flying so the concern is breakage going through HAL security and them delivering said luggage to your cabin.

The safest thing to do is carry them aboard yourself. That way if there is any breakage it won't ruin your clothes. Or anyone else's, either.

We usually bring 2/3 bottle of champagne or wine on board. WE put them in a small roll-on suitcase. I wouldn't want to take the chance of breakage. I've seen the way luggage is tossed and stacked in those luggage cages!

I was at our local Penney's tonight and noticed between the luggage and housewares section they were selling a padded wine case that you zip your bottle into for traveling. I didn't think to look at the price at the time but thought later that would be the ideal thing to pack in your suitcase. It sure looked like it would hold up.

The way HAL handles luggage I would never put bottles of wine, champagne or alcohol in them. We had had a couple of pieces of luggage destroyed by HAL. And we know it was HAL because when we left the hotel our luggage was fine but by the time it got to our cabin - they were a mess.

I was at our local Penney's tonight and noticed between the luggage and housewares section they were selling a padded wine case that you zip your bottle into for traveling. I didn't think to look at the price at the time but thought later that would be the ideal thing to pack in your suitcase. It sure looked like it would hold up.

Another method of taking wine aboard is to use a wine shipping box. Such boxes are used by wineries to ship wine to your home (as long as you are in a state which does not prohibit direct shipment). These boxes have molded styrofoam forms shaped to hold wine bottles. They come in various sizes: 2, 4, 6 and 12 bottle capacity. So order some special wines to be shipped to your home, and use the box for taking wine aboard. Such boxes, with styrofoam inserts, are also sold by some wine stores. Write your name and stateroom number on the box, attach one of your luggage tags, and it should arrive at your stateroom with the rest of your luggage. Works on HAL and X.

Heck, we just buy it by the box and stuff it in our luggage. We have taken wine to Tahiti for a cruise this way and had no problems. We will stuff a box in again for our cruise from Lisbon to Rio. The box protects the bag inside with the wine in it.

Archived