Do they still give out seasickness pills for free?

D4

I just received my cruise docs the other day and they say that they still do but it's in the infirmary not the pursers desk. But, theu may be at bother places. I went and bought the chewable ones before I knew it was free. Oh well, I can get a 1 day start on taking them like many here do.

Thanks, I thought the cruise lines were doing things differently now. They want sick people to go to the infirmary.

We're bringing our DD's boyfriend and he's never been on a cruise before so he doesn't know how he'll react to the ocean. I'll bring some with just to be prepared.

Just my opinion...

Sea sickness meds always work better as preventative, not as good after the fact.

It's always better for everyone involved (and especially people who have never been on the sea before), to just take preventative measures.

Take bonine and/or ginger pills starting the day before the cruise.

Make sure you don't get sick or feel symptoms.

If anyone gets/feel sick, it's too late.

It will take at least 24 hours to feel better.

Why waste that time on your cruise vacation?

Just spend the few bucks for the preventative medication, and everyone has a great time, and doesn't lose any vacation time on the cruise.

CJW

:)

My first cruise I did NOT expect to get seasick, as I have boated on lakes, etc. My doc told me to take 1 bonine the day before, and one each day "preventatively". I did what he said.. and by the time I was at dinner the first night I had vertigo and was queasy like you couldn't believe. I had gone "solo" for my 50th birthday and was devastated. I spent the first night in the cabin at 9pm; got up at 6am; still felt sick. I went to the infirmary and the nurse told me: "Take one every 6 hrs, and you will feel better by 4pm" Absolutely true!! I was fine by the afternoon.

By the way - we were hitting 15' swells - my body was not used swells. Since then, I just take it.. once in the morning and once at night, whether needed or not. I never got sick again. And, others were getting sick that day as I was feeling better!

It's worth it.. had the time of my life!

One reason to bring your own is so you can start it the day before your cruise. Another reason is if you happen to have rough seas they may run out in the infirmary or purser's desk. A friend of mine had this happen last year, the seas were rough and everyone was getting the free meds. I have only been seasick once, on a smaller boat of the coast of North Carolina - I never want to feel that way again.

On our first cruise (the Fantasy) they ran out of the free seasick meds the first night of the cruise. I did buy some bonine in the gift shop on the 2nd day and it was the BEST! Much better then the patch I started out with!

BEWARE,

My Aunt Cruises ALOT at least 3times a year. She told us DON'T BE CHEAP BUY YOUR OWN MEDS ! I did and I am glad they had no free pills on my cruise and we left from NY the second day at sea EVERYONE was sick and you couldn't find seasick pills anywhere on the ship. GLAD I BROUGHT MY OWN !

If you go to Target and ask the Pharmacist they have behind the counter like a 100 count bottle of the pills for like $10 I think it is. Ask for Meclizine.

It is behind the counter but you do not need a prescription. It is the same stuff Carnival gives out for free. Buy one bottle and you should be set for awhile.

I buy non drowsy Dramamine (same as Bonine) and plan on starting the day before. Our first cruise last year I didn't take anything and I got sick. I started taking it twice a day (breakfast and dinner) and never felt sick again. A little more noticeable almost nausea the last night coming back across the Gulf Stream so I popped some ginger to help with that. I will never cruise again without meds. Once you've had that feeling you don't want it ever again. I also drank some and didn't notice any interaction. We were up til about midnight every night and up by 6 am each morning so I was a little tired from that, but not the meds.

on a recent cruise my son 21 yrs. got violently ill the first night out,could only eat crackers and jello steward suggested i buy a band ,looks like an elastic band for the wrist with what appears to be 2 inverted buttons which you wear facing in on your wrist,this acts like accupunture as it applys pressure on the inside of your wrist, comfortable however as my son said he forgot he even had it on.within 2 hrs he was out of bed ,vertigo and nausea gone and from that moment on he was fine. band cost 12.00 if i can remember and well worth the money.hope this answers your question as it woked well for him

Archived