Fussy Eat, Need Advice for cruising with an older teen

We have a niece who will be 17 when we cruise together. She's very excited about the idea about cruising but, is concerned about the food. When I say she is a fussy eater, I mean fussy! She's planning a career in food service as a chef...

Please tell me that she'll find something she'll like. Strangely enough, she's thrilled that there is a Johnny Rocket's onboard (we're going on Explorer). Does anyone have menus they can share? This way I can print them out and let her see them in advance.

Thank you in advance! Any help in this area is appreciated!

Here are some dinner menus for you....

http://theloves.smugmug.com/Cruising/173551

Is she fussy like my 9 year old neice who only likes burgers, pizza and mac & cheese or is she fussy in terms of liking gourmet? :confused: The fact that she's happy about JR's but wants to be a chef has me thrown.

There are a lot of options for food... I can't imagine not finding something anyone would like.

Have a great cruise! :)

She'll try just about anything fish, beef, chicken, vegetarian. I think the bigger concern is how it's prepared. In other words, if it's one type of sauce she'll eat but, if it's in another type of sauce she might not. Do the menus tell you what ingredients are used in the dishes? For example, does the menu state "chicken stuffed with cheese" or does it go into details about the type of cheese used.

Sorry, the menus do not tell you all of the ingredients. She always will have the option of dining in the Windjammer where there is a much larger selection to choose from: good fresh salad bar, carving stations, fresh fruits, prepared dishes such as Mexican, Indian curries, in addition to the Mongolian barbecue in the evenings where she can select her meats, veggies, sauces and they will stir fry for her.

If you get a great waiter, they know what is in each dish and how it is prepared (in general). I always ask. You never know if they have added the one ingredient you are allergic to, that you never thought would be included. My DH asked our waiter for a suggestion one evening, "so how is the ........... " and the waiter leaned in and whispered, not good tonight -too dry! :p We always took his suggestions after that.

Besides, if she really doesnt like what she ordered, she can always try something else.

Enjoy!!

She'll try just about anything fish, beef, chicken, vegetarian. I think the bigger concern is how it's prepared. In other words, if it's one type of sauce she'll eat but, if it's in another type of sauce she might not. Do the menus tell you what ingredients are used in the dishes? For example, does the menu state "chicken stuffed with cheese" or does it go into details about the type of cheese used.

If she has questions about how things are prepared, the waiters are really good about telling you and giving their honest opinion of the dishes... They can also sometimes serve things without the sauce. They have everything plated, so substitutions aren't possible, but occassionally the waiters provide the sauce.

As a Mom, I would simply say she will not starve. If she can not find something to eat well then so be it....The waiters will be helpful and there are so many choices, she can always have a salad.

On the Monarch the Chef had a cooking demonstration in the Centrum. Afterward he spent quite some time with my aspiring chef teenage son. We also purchased one of the Royal Caribbean Cookbooks that has my DH favorite pineapple soup recipe. Yummy :rolleyes:

I recently cruised with one of the worlds pickiest eaters... and she's 34! She asked a lot of questions while ordering and never got a meal she didn't enjoy! Our waiter wasn't the best, but he was patient with her. She did ask for sauce on the side once, so she could see if it might be something she liked without having it all over her plate. ;)

Lunch was a little trickier, but she was still able to get something she enjoyed!

Good luck and relax and remember you're on vacation!

J.

If your fussy eater can't find anything on the regular menu, try the kid's menu. They have all the typical "kid's" foods like chicken fingers, burgers, pasta, etc. My pick eating DS, 14, will order from there if he can't find anything he likes on the regular menu. He's a big kid and has a huge appetite. He never went hungry on our cruise.

Here are some dinner menus for you....

http://theloves.smugmug.com/Cruising/173551

Is she fussy like my 9 year old neice who only likes burgers, pizza and mac & cheese or is she fussy in terms of liking gourmet? :confused: The fact that she's happy about JR's but wants to be a chef has me thrown.

There are a lot of options for food... I can't imagine not finding something anyone would like.

Have a great cruise! :)

Perhaps she wants to be a "chef" at Johnny Rockets?

I know what you mean! It throws us too. She loves gourmet food and likes the best of the best and, then all of sudden turns into a typical teen and wants burgers and fries.

Thanks for the menu link, that should help a lot!

Sounds like a typical teen to me. My 18 yo is the same way. He has an appreciation of finer cuisine, yet still loves soda, cheetos, burgers etc. He's always been a good eater and will try anything, but thinks nothing of eating cold pizza for breakfast! :rolleyes: Just make sure your niece knows she can send back anything she doesn't like and get something else. Some people are shy about that, but I'm not. It's a bonus to be able try something just to see if I'll like it.

Sounds like a typical teen to me. My 18 yo is the same way. He has an appreciation of finer cuisine, yet still loves soda, cheetos, burgers etc. He's always been a good eater and will try anything, but thinks nothing of eating cold pizza for breakfast! :rolleyes: Just make sure your niece knows she can send back anything she doesn't like and get something else. Some people are shy about that, but I'm not. It's a bonus to be able try something just to see if I'll like it.

If she is unsure between two items order both, this way she won't "get out of sync" waiting for another part of the meal to arrive. So the whole table stays with the same course.

If your DD really has gourment taste and instincts, the food in the main dining rooms will not impress. It is banquet food and as good as can be expected when serving that volume of people. There are always alternate items (fish, chicken and steak)

You do not name the ship but the Radiance and Voyager class each have at least one specialty restaurant. It would be a nice treat to take her there IF she will appreciate the finer food and service.

I am the parent of the world's fussiest eater. He only eats yellow or orange things. Cheese-its, cheese, carrots etc. He loved the food on board. The wait staff is knowledgeable and very helpful. She will have few issues. They are happy to prepare something plain. Just ask nicely.

As a chef, she will need to try everything, not just what she likes... She needs to discover all sorts of foods and if she is going to run a kitchen she will have to know how everything should taste. Being a picky/fussy eater is not an option when you cook for others.

A cruiee is actually a great place for her to try a large variety of foods without a great expense and a chance to see what itr is like ot prepeare for the masses...

Archived