What's up with Radiance Centrum Elevators??

Not sure if we happen to have an "off" week, but these elevators are REAL slow. Either they were always crowded, pass right by you or as you are standing and waiting in front of them, you notice the up/down arrow button light went off and no sight of elevator. I wondered if the pax who stay in cabins forward walk to the centrum area to ride the stunning glass elevators. With that view, I can see myself doing that many times. Anyhow, have others experience this on the Radiance or any of the radiance class ships??

We were on Radiance in May and had few problems with those elevators. I thought they were reasonably quick, except for peak after-dinner times. I did see some that were not full pass my floor a couple of times. They were seldom full, again except at peak times, like after dinner and late returning from a port.

When we were on Brilliance last year, I noticed that the "ding" when the elevator arrived was very quite. If we didn't have a set of eyes on it, it was possible to miss an elevator. This happened frequently if we got to talking. I also noticed that they didn't waite around long. More than once we missed an elevator because there would be a group of people talking and facing forward when the elevators behind them opened up and had that very soft "ding". They didn't realize that an elevator was there until we tried to push through, only to miss it because they were standing there more like a heard of cattle than passengers waiting for an elevator.

When you noticed that the lights had gone off, that's usually when something like that has happened. You're looking forward while the elevators behind you silently open up, close and go on their way. More than once did we suddenly thing to turn around only to see the elevator doors closing behind us as the up/down arrow lights went out.

I loved Serenade, but I have to admit that the Centrum elevators were frustrating. I agree, the chimes are often difficult to hear over the noise of the Centrum. On top of that, you'd have to stand in the middle and watch the numbers carefully, ready to move as soon as one approached your floor. Otherwise, the doors would close before you could get from one end of the elevator bank to the other, espeically pushing a wheelchair. I started placing "bets" with myself on which elevator would stop and tried to position us to catch it quickly.

While we're at it, allow me to air my other pet elevator peeve: people who will NOT move to the back of the car so that more people can fit in. Or the folks who, upon seeing the wheelchair waiting to enter, immediately step to OPPOSITE sides of the elevator, leaving only a narrow space to slip into (and making it all the more likely that I'lll run Dad's chair over their feet - unintentionally, honest!).

PLEASE move to the back of the elevator when people are waiting to board. We'll move and let you out at your floor, really we will! :)

Thanks for reading,

Susan

the problem has been and continues to be with all 4 radiance class that they have only 2 banks of elevators; other ships this size and capacity usually have 3 - forward, midship, and aft. on radiance, all the people aft of the centrum have to either use the stairs or come to the centrum elevators. it is one of the few drawbacks on what are otherwise stunning ships. as a result of poor design of elevator location, there is no remedy - just patience or walking stairs.

Yes, the elevators run very slowly and they are SMALL! Why can't they install larger elevators. Especially when people on scooters or in wheelchairs or strollers get on, there is simply no room for more than 3 or 4 more folks! The ships have these HUGE centrum areas and tiny elevators! I don't mind the stairs going down, but going up more than 4 floors is rough on rats!

When we were on Brilliance last year, I noticed that the "ding" when the elevator arrived was very quite. If we didn't have a set of eyes on it, it was possible to miss an elevator. This happened frequently if we got to talking. I also noticed that they didn't waite around long. More than once we missed an elevator because there would be a group of people talking and facing forward when the elevators behind them opened up and had that very soft "ding". They didn't realize that an elevator was there until we tried to push through, only to miss it because they were standing there more like a heard of cattle than passengers waiting for an elevator.

When you noticed that the lights had gone off, that's usually when something like that has happened. You're looking forward while the elevators behind you silently open up, close and go on their way. More than once did we suddenly thing to turn around only to see the elevator doors closing behind us as the up/down arrow lights went out.

That is a good point and that must be one silent "ding" lol!

Archived