Empress Secrets?

We're sailing on the Empress to Bermuda in June 2007. What are the "secrets" about her - like best places to go, most fun things to do, and where are those quiet spots that no one else seems to know about?

Thanks!!

Thanks! Any quiet places for sitting outside?

Because it is a smaller ship we found that the quiet outside spots were always taken. But the Library was always empty. Since our cruise was 11 days with only 2 sea days we were usually too busy to rest anywhere.

But we enjoyed the ship so much and the itinerary was so great (our first cruise) that we booked it again for next year. So much to see:D

I don't think there is any truly quiet spots outside, but there are quieter spots. One is all the way aft on the pool deck (deck 10), especially on the starboard side (you way need to cut through the Viking Crown Lounge if the rock wall is open). Another is on deck 6, the promenade deck where the life boat stations are. This deck wraps fully around the ship and there are some deck chairs there.

I found that the top most deck (above the Windjammer) was not only sparsely populated but had some nooks and crannies. The Lido deck was also pretty deserted after 9pm.

We spent 11 days on the Empress in April and I couldn't have loved her more. She is beautiful and well maintained. I loved every square inch of her.

We had 9684 booked for our upcoming Bermuda cruise on July 1st, but changed to a side JS after reading some comments and seeing pictures on here. It is very small and there is no sitting area. The only plus is the large balcony. It just didn't appeal to us.

If you want to get away from it all, head to the Library. Its always empty.

Alta Joe...Great photos of the Empress in the Southern Caribbean! You were sooo lucky to have sailed INTO Williamstad, Curacao', instead of docking outside. We have done that twice, and it sure beats being at the sea pier. Again, beautiful pictures...Helen

The biggest "secret" of the Empress is that she is RCI's best ship -- and that was even before the "stretch." Love the Terraces restaurants -- not because of the food, but for the atmosphere/decor/design of the rooms.

It's a great ship -- we are sailing one of the behemoths next month and truth be told I am not looking forward to that aspect at all.

We'd love to do the Bermuda cruise on Empress!

We're sailing on the Empress to Bermuda in June 2007. What are the "secrets" about her - like best places to go, most fun things to do, and where are those quiet spots that no one else seems to know about?

Thanks!!

There are small open decks all the way forward on decks 7, 8 and 9. To get to them, either climb the stairs that all all the way forward on deck 6 (stairs will be roped off at night necause they are dark) or find the doorway that goes out on decks 7,8, and 9.

I have been on the Empress when there are deck chairs available out there, and other times when none have been placed out there.

From your past cruises list, it is clear you appreciate the mid-sized ships as we do. The Radiance was almost too large in my opinion, and now we have these Voyager class giants.

Amusement park gargantuans remind me of some skyscraper resort in a place like Las Vegas, just turned on its side and dumped in the water.

There's an indoor "Promenade?" I can stay home if I want to go to an enclosed mall. An ice rink and rock climbing wall? Come on... who needs that when one is at sea?

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed all our cruises, and I'm willing to try Mariner of the Seas, but this ship/class was not my idea. Your post has me longing for another cruise on the Empress.

Thanks Susie! That's the sort of info I was hoping to see!

All the way aft on deck 8, with chaise, chair and small table. Go all the way back and look for the doors at either aft corner. We had a cabin just a couple of doors down and used this area as our own private balcony. Didn't see another soul out there on our 5 day sailing. Definitely a well kept secret!

Alma

All the way aft on deck 8, with chaise, chair and small table. Go all the way back and look for the doors at either aft corner. We had a cabin just a couple of doors down and used this area as our own private balcony. Didn't see another soul out there on our 5 day sailing. Definitely a well kept secret!

Alma

Same on aft deck 7 at the corners. We had the aft jr. suite 7690, but every time we passed the doors at the corner and looked out to that area, there was never one soul out there.

Can anyone tell me about Cabin 9684 on Empress. It is listed as a D1 aft but I think I heard something about it having no sitting area? Anyone know?

You are correct. We had an aft jr. suite (7690) with no sitting area, but our balcony was HUGE (double size)!! For us, the balcony was more important than sitting in the cabin. It was a trade-off we were willing to make. We had space for 2 lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs, and a small table.

I'm so torn about going on Grandeur again next summer, or going on Empress. I love the smaller-mid sized ships. I think they are so classy and elegant. (It just kills me that they put a rock climbing wall on ships so amazing!!)

Anyway, I had a question about being on a ship that size in the Mid-Atlantic. I know it can get a little rough on the way to Bermuda. How does she handle the seas? I do tend to be a little prone towards seasickness, which is why I ask.

Thanks in advance. :)

I'm so torn about going on Grandeur again next summer, or going on Empress. I love the smaller-mid sized ships. I think they are so classy and elegant. (It just kills me that they put a rock climbing wall on ships so amazing!!)

Anyway, I had a question about being on a ship that size in the Mid-Atlantic. I know it can get a little rough on the way to Bermuda. How does she handle the seas? I do tend to be a little prone towards seasickness, which is why I ask.

Thanks in advance. :)

Jenny,

This was only our second cruise, and I must have a slight tendency toward seasickness as well. I was a bit queasy on two evenings -- when we headed out in the Atlantic and when we were headed back. We hit a rough patch both ways (9 to 12 foot seas), and the boat was rocking, but as long as I kept a little in my stomach and sipped plain Coke, I managed to get through it. I took Meclizine as a precaution just on those two evenings, but it made me a bit sleepy. I also took ginger pills the entire trip, but I don't really know if that helped. My husband was fine the entire time, and one couple at our dining table missed dinner both of those rocky night. The wife had it pretty bad.

I would not hesitate to take the trip again, but in talking with a few on the ship, I think I'd try the patch (behind the ear). Everyone I talked to had good results and no complaints about side effects.

Same on aft deck 7 at the corners. We had the aft jr. suite 7690, but every time we passed the doors at the corner and looked out to that area, there was never one soul out there.

Thanks Jeanne! Any more secrets?

Jenny,

This was only our second cruise, and I must have a slight tendency toward seasickness as well. I was a bit queasy on two evenings -- when we headed out in the Atlantic and when we were headed back. We hit a rough patch both ways (9 to 12 foot seas), and the boat was rocking, but as long as I kept a little in my stomach and sipped plain Coke, I managed to get through it. I took Meclizine as a precaution just on those two evenings, but it made me a bit sleepy. I also took ginger pills the entire trip, but I don't really know if that helped. My husband was fine the entire time, and one couple at our dining table missed dinner both of those rocky night. The wife had it pretty bad.

I would not hesitate to take the trip again, but in talking with a few on the ship, I think I'd try the patch (behind the ear). Everyone I talked to had good results and no complaints about side effects.

Thanks! I was kind of worried about that.

Archived