London to Paris overnight

Anyone have a good experience with overnight tour of Paris from London? We're actually coming into Dover on June 18 and wanted to go to Paris directly from there, but the closest Eurostar stop is in Ashford, not easy to get to from Dover. So it looks like we have to go to London first. Any suggestions?

Brigitte
[email]emickb@aol.com[/email]

I'd be inclined to get a taxi from Ashford to Dover - I think it's around 20 miles. The Eurostar to Paris is a great trip and takes you into the center of Paris which is great for a short stay. A tip - there's three clasess on Eurostar. There's a "standard" first class which is the "middle" one. This is great value as if you choose the two-seat club - it's just a table for two with two chairs. You'll get a glass of champagne and a meal with wine - and the vlaue of this is I think less than the difference between economy and this.

Enjoy Paris.

You don't need to travel to London to join Eurostar.As the previous poster says, your best bet is to join the train at Ashford and either take a taxi from Dover or train. It is not that far. You will need to book your seats in advance for Eurostar. You will come into the Gard du Nord, north East Paris and from there take a taxi to your hotel. It should be fairly easy to do.

Dave & Marge Morgan

Also - just to position the times and distance - people from south-east England now almost routinely got to Paris for "the day" and certainly overnight. I often take the wife one day for a meal and return the following morning - and it is possible to see most of the sighte (quickly) in a few hours.

Pick a hotel that's a short metro ride from the Gare du Nord and enjoy the Metro. Place de Republique has a Holiday In and it's couple of stops - and is in the middle of everything.

We took the Eurostar from Ashford to Paris last year after disembarking in Dover. We arranged transportation for our group of 8, but for smaller groups you could take a taxi. The Eurostar was most enjoyable. We went first class - what a treat! Enjoy your trip!

Cunard Princess'83 - Caribbean
Royal Cruise Line '86 - Asia
Disney Magic Millenium Cruise
Sun Princess '00 Alaska
Golden Princess01Mediterranean
Grand Princess '02 W Caribbean
Grand Princess '02 E Caribbean
Mercury '03 Ca. Coastal
Constellation '03 Baltic Sea
Disney Magic '04 W. Caribbean

I also applaud the Eurostar! And by all means, spend the extra few dollars for 1st class. This is a very civilized way to get to Paris, and its nice to travel in such a comfortable relaxed fashion as opposed to the hassles of air travel.

Hank

I've taken the EuroStar in both First and Coach Class.

Sure, First is nicer, but if your budget is a bit tight, there's really nothing wrong with the coach class. It's ALOT better than an airline's coach class! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

In coach, a meal is not included in the price. You can buy food at the station before boarding (really nice selections) or you can buy from a foodcart that rolls up and down the aisles throughout the trip.

Jane

Archived