Explorer of the Seas/Kings Wharf?

Has anyone gone on the Explorer out of Bayonne NJ to Bermuda? They dock at Kings Wharf and there doesn't seem to be too much to do there. I'm wondering just how tough it is to get to Hamilton from Kings Wharf.

We've gone on the Explorer (just two weeks ago) on a 9 day cruise. IT was fantastic. Anyone else been on the Explorer? I hope you had a chance to meet Ricky in the Concierge Lounge. What a great guy! :)

On everyone of my 3 cruises to Bermuda, I've docked at Royal Navy Dockyard. Most of the Front Street shops have branches in the Clocktower Mall, the Dockyard buildings themselves are interesting, as is the Maritime Museum. There is a swim with the Dolphins adventure right there too.

Getting to Hamilton is quick and easy and a great ride on one of the high speed ferries. The scenery is very nice getting there. You'll get wonderful photos of your ship. Suggest you go to the Bermuda board for more.

Oh and if you like dancing on tables, be sure to visit the Frog & Onion early in the AM when the crew gets there.

I did the same cruise on Voyager last year. You're correct; there's not too much going on at King's Wharf, but you can easily get to Hamilton by scooter, which can be rented where the ship docks. You will hear lots of warnings to avoid scooters, but if you are sensible, it's a great way to see the island.

We just got off the 9 night Explorer. Ricky is wonderful. Very nice, extremely professional and made you feel pampered. We enjoyed being in the lounge every night and had heard it would be crowded but it never was.

It is really easy to get around, there are frequent buses, although you do need to pay attention to where they are going, but it is not terribly far. If you plan to go to a beach, plan your departure wisely. Everyone tries to leave to return at the last minute, and the popular beaches are very busy, so getting a seat on a bus can be a challenge if you wait till the last minute.

There is a really wonderful glassblower who does demonstrations during the afternoon / evenings. He made us a custom vase the first night we were in port, allowing my husband to choose the colors and we allowed him to freestyle the form. He let us take pictures of the whole process, and then signed the vase for us. It was all ready to go the following afternoon, well before we sailed, and is now a cherished one of a kind memento. Even if you do not buy one (they are a little pricey, but beautiful) watching them make it is very interesting.

There is also a craft mall (a couple of nice jewelry stalls, but mostly stuff you can find at any flea market in the US), and a more "upscale" mall in the watchtower building that has some nicer shops as well as the obligatory T shirt stands. (My daughter bought a 14K gold belly button ring at the jewelry store there, which had nicer items.)

The museum / fort (?) is also an interesting visit if you are into maritime history, but it closes early so if you want to see that, don't wait until you come back from Hamilton. We did not check out the dolphin swim or snorkeling park.

Have fun! King's Wharf is not as touristy as Hamilton, which reminds me of any caribbean port of call, with all the same shops. It really made us feel more like a European port of call, less show, more history.

We are scuba divers, so we did not sightsee alot other than King's Wharf this last time, but on a prior trip we were able to take the bus over to Hamilton and back without a problem. They sell transfers on the dock.

We docked at King's Wharf last October when we sailed on the Jewel of the Seas out of Boston, and thought it was a delightful place with more than enough shops to satisfy the shoppers, a ferry or bus to Hamilton, and a nice beach within walking distance of the pier (perhaps not as nice as Horseshoe or Elbow beaches, but IMHO, much better than Tobacco Bay in St. Georges.

I know too many folks who have been injured riding motor bikes in Bermuda to recommend them. Unless you are used to them and don't have a problem adapting to driving on the opposite side of the road, I don't think they are worth the risk. We didn't get a chance to visit the Maritime museum while we were there last year, but have it on our agenda this Fall.

negc is absolutely correct about the scooters in Bermuda.

We took the bus all the way to Hamilton from the Dockyard, and it was a wonderful way to see the island. Very twisty, hilly, blind turns kind of road. We have rented scooters all over the Caribbean, but Bermuda is NOT a place DH would ride one, and he is an experienced motorcycle driver.

Anyway, once you walk around Hamilton, then take the ferry back. It makes a great day, and you can get off the bus at any stop to see additional sights. Look up a map on the internet of Bermuda, and you can plan what to see.

Hello! I read your post and was wondering when you were on the Explorer. We were on the Explorer leaving Bayonne June 2nd. The Concierge Lounge was a nightly visit for us. It was crowded though, (ricky said more than he ever saw). Still nice....Ricky made sure of that! I just wonder if we had bumped into you if you sailed the same days as us!

To be honest, I found King's Wharf to be a big nothing. The Maritime Museum can be done in 15 minutes tops, and the stores are essentially just another mall. We took the bus to Hamilton and returned by ferry, even though we were bound for Hamilton the next day (or two).

To be honest, I found King's Wharf to be a big nothing. The Maritime Museum can be done in 15 minutes tops, and the stores are essentially just another mall.

As opposed to the stores on Front Street in Hamilton? Oh well, 'de gustibus'.:)

For those who like nightlife....there is a bar in walking distance called Hammerheads. It wasn't very busy the night we went there, but it was nice to sip a drink and have some fun. It was a relaxing walk and we felt totally safe walking at midnight.

We went on Explorer in May to Kings Wharf & had a wonderful time. We didn't go to Bermuda to go shopping though. However, there is lots to do. We went to enjoy the beauty of the island.;) You can travel very easily around the entire island with a bus\sea pass that you can purchase on the ship. But if you are taking the bus be prepared for the ride of your life.:eek: In fact, we enjoyed Bermuda so much we will be returning on Explorer in Sept. :D We're hoping to get those pictures we missed the first time. Horseshoe Bay is awesome - but our favorite was Jobsons Cove.... And we are looking forward to seeing our favorite bartender Louis in the Dizzy Lounge. Hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did....

Archived