How to get to Poipu beach in Kauai from the ship?

margu1241

We will be on Pride of Aloha 7/18 and are interested in going to Poipu beach from Nawiliwili. Is there a convenient way to get there and back without a car of our own? It seems kind of far to count on a taxi. If I rent through Hertz, I can pick up at Lihue Airport, Kauai Marriot or King Auto Center (4330 Kukio Grove Street) Any advice?

Thanks,

Patty

Kauai Marriott is closest to the Nawiliwili port. But I would check with Hertz (the local offices) to find out whether they're operating shuttles. They might send a rental shuttle to meet the POA to go to the airport location to rent cars - that might still be quicker than walking to the Marriott (about a 10-15 minute walk).

Spleen

Spleen,

Thanks for the information...now, is there any way for me to get to the beach if we choose not to rent a car? I think my dear husband is afraid he is going to be stuck driving our whole group all over the place and he would actually prefer to not have a car that day.

Patty

We went ahead with the rental car, decided to go with Hertz at the Marriott-is there a way to walk that would be more scenic than walking along a road? I suppose we could just take a cab, but hubby liked the idea of a 15 min walk in the morning (and I guess at night, after we drop it off!)

I really appreciate the responses on this board from those in the know-it has made planning our trip much more pleasant!

Thanks again,

Patty

Unfortunately, it's kind of an industrial area. You just follow the harbor around until you get to the other side where the Marriott is. Once you get to the other side, it gets a lot more scenic.

Spleen

Be sure you have a good guide book (I love the Wizard Press Ultimate Kauai) or map to find Poipu Beach. I was really surprised at the lack of directional signs to Poipu Beach when we were there in May. If I hadn't had the guidebook, I'm sure we wouldn't have found it without stopping for directions.

• 1 month later...

The airport is about a 15 minute ride from the pier to the north, while Poipu is to the west and south, I think it's probably about 10 miles west, then 5 miles south.

Also saw a web site that mentioned $30 from the airport to Poipu. I'm guessing that is one way.

http://www.hawaii.com/visit/kauai/transportation/tips.html

• 6 years later...
Help - wanted to know how the rental worked from Kauai to Poipu beach to or if you heard of any cab costs to get there. Really want to take cab - did you hear how much?

This site: http://www.toandfromtheairport.com/hawaii-kauai.html

gives cab rate from the airport to Poipu as $42 - $53. Should be pretty close to the same from Nawiliwili (port). In most cases, a rental is cheaper and is quite easy to do. The car rental agencies pretty much run continuous shuttles to/from port on days that cruise ships are in.

I was confused reading this thread. This is the first I have heard of a rental from the Marriott, then I looked at the dates. I am assuming the car rentals are only from the airport now? I know that shuttles are suppose to be going from the ship to the rental agency regularly.

I am thinking that a morning at Poipu would be a nice way to spend our last day on the cruise. I am trying to get clear how long it will take us to get from the ship to the beach in the morning and how much time we should allow to return the car and get back to the ship. If you have done this in the past while on the POA - what time did you leave the beach?

We will be on Pride of Aloha 7/18 and are interested in going to Poipu beach from Nawiliwili. Is there a convenient way to get there and back without a car of our own? It seems kind of far to count on a taxi. If I rent through Hertz, I can pick up at Lihue Airport, Kauai Marriot or King Auto Center (4330 Kukio Grove Street) Any advice?

Thanks,

Patty

Hah! Pride of Aloha was renamed to the Sky and is in the Caribbean.

This site: http://www.toandfromtheairport.com/hawaii-kauai.html

gives cab rate from the airport to Poipu as $42 - $53. Should be pretty close to the same from Nawiliwili (port). In most cases, a rental is cheaper and is quite easy to do. The car rental agencies pretty much run continuous shuttles to/from port on days that cruise ships are in.

I agree. We are renting a car from Thrifty for $64.41 for 2 days in Kauai. That's cheaper than roundtrip taxi to/from Poipu Beach. A rental car is the way to go.

From the dock to the airport is approximately a 15 minute drive. Dock to Poipu is about 35 minutes. Dock to Marriott is an easy 5 - 10 minute walk. Kalapaki beach, in front of the Marriott, is a very attractive area with lots of palm trees, grassy areas and sandy beaches, and like all Hawaiian beaches, is public. There are a number of venues, both in the Marriott and immediate area, offering food and refreshments.

I was confused reading this thread. This is the first I have heard of a rental from the Marriott, then I looked at the dates. I am assuming the car rentals are only from the airport now? I know that shuttles are suppose to be going from the ship to the rental agency regularly.

I am thinking that a morning at Poipu would be a nice way to spend our last day on the cruise. I am trying to get clear how long it will take us to get from the ship to the beach in the morning and how much time we should allow to return the car and get back to the ship. If you have done this in the past while on the POA - what time did you leave the beach?

The drive from Nawiliwili/Lihue to the Poipu beach area is 30 to 40 minutes. You need to leave the beach a good 90 minutes before you need to be back onboard to allow for traffic in and around Lihue, which is possible, returning the car at the same time as hundreds of other passengers, and getting back to the ship.

Approximately how much would a taxi cost from the dock to Poipu Beach? Is that the closest beach? Do they have chaises and shade?

A taxi would probably cost a good $100 r/t and isn't cost-effective, IMO. No, Poipu isn't closest; Kalapaki beach at the Marriott is 10 minute's walk (give or take) from the pier. No, there are no chaises or chairs at the primary beach park in Poipu; this is the part of the beach most people are talking about. Yes, there is some shade because it's a really nice public beach park with facilities. If you go to the beaches in Poipu that front the resorts/hotels (the Sheraton, for example), you'll almost certainly find chair/umbrella rentals. Sometimes they're only available for resort/hotel guests, but often they will rent to the public. As well, there are often third-party rental kiosks around resort/hotel beach areas.

beachchick

The drive from Nawiliwili/Lihue to the Poipu beach area is 30 to 40 minutes. You need to leave the beach a good 90 minutes before you need to be back onboard to allow for traffic in and around Lihue, which is possible, returning the car at the same time as hundreds of other passengers, and getting back to the ship.

beachchick

Thank you! Exactly the information I was seeking.:)

Archived