Obstructed Balcony

hdawson

Go to HAL's web site and look at deck plans for any ship in the fleet. There is a black diamond shape with a statement "Staterooms have solid steel verandah railing instead of clear-view plexiglass railing". For those rooms having fully obstructed views there is an X.

Hi guys, I will be crusing on the statendam in December My cabin is 157B with verandah, on the Verandah deck (4TH Deck down) almost in the middle of the ship. will my view be obstucted anyone know??:)

Hdawson, you're welcome. I have frittered away much time trying to find stuff thru various online booking agencies but to no avail. After looking at HAL's website the answers to a great many questions are answered. CC is also a good place to obtain information.

Have been to High Point on several occasions rummaging thru the furniture stores. It's about 250 miles up I85 from here.

Temple10,

I am not sure what you mean by obstructed, but if you are talking about the panels I can help. ALL the panels on the verandahs are solid on the Statendam, Veendam, Ryndam and probably the Maasdam. I don't believe Hal used the clear plexiglass type until the Volendam. Rotterdam,Amsterdam,Zaandam, and Volendam verandahs all have clear panels as far as I know. Apparently there are a couple of verandahs on the Zui and Oosterdam that the panels are not clear.

The clear panels are so much nicer.

Based on a recent photo of the Oosterdam, I believe the cabins you mentioned are: Starboard cabins 4001 thru 4041, and Port cabins 4002

thru 4042.

The remainder of the 'B' category cabins on the deck have the plexiglass

panels, while the aforementioned cabins above have the solid steel bulkhead.

Hope this clears the air.

vic :-)

Temple10,

I am not sure what you mean by obstructed, but if you are talking about the panels I can help. ALL the panels on the verandahs are solid on the Statendam, Veendam, Ryndam and probably the Maasdam. I don't believe Hal used the clear plexiglass type until the Volendam. Rotterdam,Amsterdam,Zaandam, and Volendam verandahs all have clear panels as far as I know. Apparently there are a couple of verandahs on the Zui and Oosterdam that the panels are not clear.

The clear panels are so much nicer.

It is correct that the minisuite (cats A, AA, B, BB) verandah panels on the S class ships are solid, but they are only approximately two feet high. They do not obstruct your forward view, even when seated. There is a narrow safety rail between the solid panel and the top wooden rail.

The Vista class ships have solid panels on forward cabins 4001 thru 4042 on the upper promenade deck. these are clearly marked on HAL's deck plans web site. I don't know how high these are, but from photos they look tall enough that they may obstruct vision while seated on the balcony.

Sorry Stevesan, but no way are they 2 feet high. When seated in a chair they do block my view somewhat, but I have to assume you are much taller than me.

We were on the June 12 Zuiderdam cruise in room 4035 with the solid steel verandah. It is solid all the way up to the rail, unlike what you describe for the earlier ships. I couldn't see the ocean at all sitting in one of the chairs. These rooms definitely are to be avoided if possible! It wasn't for us as we booked late and they "upgraded" us from BC guarantee to this B room; by the time we found out about our room assignment, the ship was full. No way this should be a B catagory in my opinion; it certainly was not an upgrade! We book verandahs so we can sit by the hour and watch the ocean - it was VERY disappointing!

Archived