New to Cruising - Please Help Us Choose

Hello -

I'm new to cruising and about to reserve our frst vacation. We want to go to the Caribbean and are looking at RCL Serenade and NCL Dawn.

Does anyone think one is better than the other? Is there a beter time to go? We can schedule anytime between Feb and May.

Many people have told me that a cruise vacation is the best value and it seems so, is a suite the best way to go for a little extra "luxury". It seems like it from some of the messages here.

Thanks in advance.

Nora

Hi Nora, my DH and i have been on 10 cruises 8 NCL 1 Carnival and 1 RCL. We hated Carnival, RCL was nice but we love NCL and probably will never cruise on another line. The last 2 cruises we had suites with a butler. We will also never go back to a regular room. It is soo nice having a Suite having the extra room, and all of the extras that go with it. We love the freestyle cruising. U can have your meals whenever u want and at many different restaurants to choose from. I am sure u would have a great time on either line but i will most likly always go NCL.

good luck

minimom:) :) :)

Hi Nora

I love your screen name! :D

We've never sailed RCl, but we've been very happy with NCL, three times so far and six booked.

We do reserve suites and it's worth the extra, as you get a larger room, extra goodies, a nicer room service menu, butler and concierge service, andother perks.

NCL has Freestyle dining..a great plus in my book, many eateries to choose from, no set dining times.

I have visited and had lunch aboard an RCI ship and it was lovely, but I highly recommend NCL.

Whichever you choose, you'll have a great time, cruising IS the best value and fun vacation!

We haven't cruised on RCI but we chose NCL again this year because we really like Free Style (not having bring formal wear, have assigned seating or time). RCI has some things on several ships that NCL doesn't, but we wouldn't use them anyway (rock climbing wall, ice skating) so that wasn't a big draw. I would like to try RCI at some time, but price & itinerary influenced this year's decision. We really like to cruise, but don't spend anytime in the room except to sleep so don't see the need to spend so much extra for a suite (course, I wouldn't turn it down if it was offered!):D We are traveling with our adult children, so we book 2 rooms anyway, which I prefer over 4 of us in one room.

Comparing both cruiselines for differences:

NCL

Freestyle - dining, dress code, disembarkation

Freestyle dining: you can go to the main dining rooms for dinner at any time during their opening hours. Unless you ask for a specific table/waiter, you will be seated at whatever table is available (just like in a restaurant).

Freestyle Dress code: resort casual wear is always acceptable in the dining rooms (even on the optional formal night). Jeans and t-shirts and shorts are not allowed in the dining rooms in the evening.

Freestyle disembarkation: You can stay in your cabin until your disembarkation colour is called

RCCL

"traditional" cruising

Dining: In the dining rooms, you will be assigned a specific time at which to have dinner, you will be assigned a specific table and tablemates. You will have the same waiter for the week.

Dress Code: you will be expected to follow a more "dressed up" dress code. For example on formal night, men will wear suits or tuxedos; women will wear cocktail dresses or gowns or very nice suits.

Disembarkation: you will wait to disembark in one of the public areas (like a lounge). You will be expected to vacate your cabin fairly early.

I am sure both ships are nice - so it really depends on what type of cruising experience you want - Freestyle or 'traditional'. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Hello -

I'm new to cruising and about to reserve our frst vacation. We want to go to the Caribbean and are looking at RCL Serenade and NCL Dawn.

Does anyone think one is better than the other? Is there a beter time to go? We can schedule anytime between Feb and May.

Many people have told me that a cruise vacation is the best value and it seems so, is a suite the best way to go for a little extra "luxury". It seems like it from some of the messages here.

Thanks in advance.

Nora

When you cruise depends on personal preference (what doesn't these days:) ). We are from Wisconsin and February is a great time to get away. If you like football and don't mind the Packers, there is a cruise on the Jewel with some Superbowl players leaving Feb 25.

We've never done a suite to the Caribbean, only to Alaska and it was great! However we always get an inside as we don't spend much time there anyway. Too much to do on the ship!

Probably the most common arguement I get when discussing cruises is how expensive it is. But it really is a great value. Plus it has the added benefit of allowing you to see many different places without always having to pack and unpack.

I've never cruised RCI so can't help you there.

Whatever you decide have a great cruise!:cool:

DH and I prefer NCL - there's something to be said for being able to decide when/where you want to eat and we prefer this over traditional dining.

We also book a suite (AB is our preference); we always cruise in the caribbean and spend lots of time on our balcony. The butler service is great and IMHO helps to make for a great cruise experience.

The weather in the caribbean in March is fantastic (we were there this past year with temps in the mid-80's and warm, warm water). February can be a little "iffy" for weather - you should go the www.weather.com and check out the temperature charts. It may help you decide.

Of course, we live in So.Fla so it's never too warm for us and February temps in the 70's make me pull out my flannels:D .

Whatever you do - enjoy.........

NickNora,

I'm actually going to give non cruise advice! The Caribbean in particular is a very poor place to cruise, only from the perspective of ineffectual port calls. Most ports are not too nice, really the best way to see the Caribbean is to pick an island and go for a week or so. There are scads of luxury villas available, many at reasonable cost, most with private pools, some with staff, cook, maid, etc. Before you decide on a cruise definity investigate a land based vacation there. Any other info let me know. Happy travels.

I own a timeshare and trade it for many different locations. I like my land vacations but I love my cruise vacations.

Seems like you got a lot of advise on NCl vs RCCL I would sail either line again but as you can see by my signature the last few cruises I keep going back to NCL, mainly due to freestyle, NYC departures and price.

Time of year, if you're looking at the Dawn I would suggest April or May this way it's still fairly nice for sail-a-way and sea days. This is the time of year I like best. By this time we're sick of winter and it gives you a little head start to the nice weather that's soon coming.

You can't go wrong with either line just read both boards and reviews and then decide which fits your wants the most.

I'm one of the ones that will get an inside cabin at a great price to be able to cruise twice a year or more. I could afford the suites if I wanted to but for me the more the merrier when it comes to cruises. I spend most of my time on the open decks. I just use my cabin to dress and sleep.

I have cruised RCI 4 times and it was great. I am booked on ncl for my next because of price and port of departure, I am really looking foreward to freestyle cruising. I think that if you were to have a family, not having set dinner times will reduce the stress of getting everyone ready and to the dining room on time. I think RCI is an awsome cruise line all of their ships have a rock climbing wall if that's your thing. With this being your first cruise you will most likely be impressed with either line. Expect a touch of luxury and some decent food, not 5 star, but good and plenty of it. Treat your cabin steward(a little precruise tip will motivate them to treat you like royalty) and the people who wait on you well, even an extra tip here and there, and you will be treated extra special, you will be in your own little piece of heaven. I know that this doesn't make your decision easier, but on RCI if you cannot make your dinnertime, the windjammer buffet is open for dinner, and you can make reservations at a surcharge restaraunt.:)

We have cruised on Carnival & NCL & have our first RCI cruise scheduled. Have thoroughly enjoyed all cruises. Each cruise line has it's own positives. While each cruiseline is different, so is each ship. Unless you have specific, hard-line preferences, you should enjoy any of them! We're pretty laid back & flexible - just put us on a cruise ship!!

Hello -

Does anyone think one is better than the other?

Thanks in advance.

Nora

Since this is your first and of course you can't sail both boats at once, ask yourself this question:

On vacation do I want to relax in lovely surroundings and look forward daily to what, where and when I'll eat(NCL)? OR...Will I be excited to wake up every morning and see how many great activities I can participate in, never for a moment lacking for active, structured fun if I want it (RCI)?

In either case, you will enjoy the port calls, amenities and hospitality of the staff and crew (if children are a factor, both kid's programs are top notch also).

DO NOT base your decision on someone else's subjective complaints against one line over another, but if you must wade through it all decide in advance what issues might be deal breakers for YOU. Worst case scenario you will come back with experience under your belt that will inform you as to what you'd prefer next time, and believe me - once you cruise there will always be a NEXT TIME:D !

Happy Sails

Annette

Nora -

Maybe you should go visit some of the rollcalls of the cruises you're considering...get to know the people a little.

That might help you make your decision, too, getting a feel for the people who travel the different lines. Now, of course, that's no guarantee, some of us are very foolish online, but very nice in person :D

Our rollcall is the Dawn 4/1/07, you might try 2/18/07, the famous Shoreguy's cruise, these are both Southern. I think 4/12 is, too.

Check it out, have some fun, but you should reserve soon, prices are going up ;)

Archived