Millie Med Review-Ports/Drivers/Restaurants

Sorry, but I am back on the walkie talkie again. I have been reading that the ones we buy here are not legal in Europe. Did you not have any trouble using them? I do not want to get caught with something I should not have in a foreign country. Thanks..

Well, I guess this is a case of "ignorance is bliss"...because I had no idea that this could actually be a concern. Apparently, there is some discussion on other websites regarding whether or not the frequency of US walkie talkies might interfere with emergency communication systems in Europe (and therefore be illegal to use).

No, we didn't have any trouble using them at all; in fact they worked better on shore because on the ship we were picking up other passenger's calls. I figured they must not interfere with any of the ship's communications or else the cruise line would prohibit their use on board.

That said, the instruction booklet that came with my walkie-talkies gives an email address for the manufacturer, so I'll be glad to send them a note today and ask them if they have any information about whether or not they are legal to use in Europe. So...keep checking this thread and I'll post a response as soon as I hear from them.

Carla

Well, I guess this is a case of "ignorance is bliss"...because I had no idea that this could actually be a concern. Apparently, there is some discussion on other websites regarding whether or not the frequency of US walkie talkies might interfere with emergency communication systems in Europe (and therefore be illegal to use).

No, we didn't have any trouble using them at all; in fact they worked better on shore because on the ship we were picking up other passenger's calls. I figured they must not interfere with any of the ship's communications or else the cruise line would prohibit their use on board.

That said, the instruction booklet that came with my walkie-talkies gives an email address for the manufacturer, so I'll be glad to send them a note today and ask them if they have any information about whether or not they are legal to use in Europe. So...keep checking this thread and I'll post a response as soon as I hear from them.

Carla

Ok, here's the official response from Midland Radio Corp, the manufacturer of my walkie-talkie:

"The LXT310 is not legal for use outside the US. For information

pertaining to radios legal for use in Europe, please contact our sister

company in Italy, CTE International:"

http://www.cte.it

I went to this website; just click "visit the site in english" and then click "client services" on the right hand side. From there, go to "norm/restriction" to see a listing of their radio models and the countries in which they can be used. If you're really interested, I think I'd just give them a call at 1 (816) 241-8500.

I guess I'm a fugitive from justice now; I wonder how many other laws I unwittingly violated on this trip! I somehow don't think my husband, sister and BIL would have appreciated a visit to the inside of a Greek jail as part of our tour...

Mdeane, you deserve a gold star for your very thorough research on this subject. I think I'll post a "walkie talkie" thread on the Europe board. From the many posts I've read over the past year, it seems like many cruisers use walkie-talkies on the ship but they should be aware that they shouldn't take them ashore.

Thanks Cola, but I just had an inkling that we might run into problems. I have learned that you must have a PMP446 in order to use in Europe. I have decided that I will just fore go any plans of using walkies. But they can be bought on ebay if anyone want to go there. Myra

Dear Cruzinfreak,

I have a couple of questions to ask. Would you tell me what was the name of restaurant in Florence where you had excellent food for 30 euro per person? And what kind of food you liked?

I wanted a map for SAntorini. Would you tell me where I can buy the book "Getting to know Santorini with map" ?

We will be leaving on 19 July for our Med cruise.( less than a week)

Thank you.

Thanks so much for the review. We have the 5 rooms booked in barcelona before our cruise the last week of Oct on the voyager. we also have Gaudio and Claudio for rome. will tell them hello from you. Vicki from Ohio. Would you recomend doing Naples on your Own??

Thanks so much for the review. We have the 5 rooms booked in barcelona before our cruise the last week of Oct on the voyager. we also have Gaudio and Claudio for rome. will tell them hello from you. Vicki from Ohio. Would you recomend doing Naples on your Own??

I'm so glad you decided to book "The 5 Rooms" in Barcelona. It was fun for us to stay at this B&B...it felt like we were staying with family instead of at a hotel where the staff is sometimes totally indifferent. Just so you know, there is no sign out front and be sure you have the address to give your driver since he probably won't be familiar with the place. Just ring the bell for The 5 Rooms on the intercom at the front door. It is an easy walk, about 2 blocks, to the Placa de Catalunya at the top of Las Ramblas.

The breakfast consists of yogurt, cereal, meat & cheese plate, fresh baguettes with jam or nutella, juice, coffee and tea. I thought the bread and jam were excellent; my mouth is watering right now just thinking about that crusty, fresh bread! I think the breakfast wasn't set up until about 8:30am, which is consistent with European meal times...everything several hours later than we're used to in the US.

One last thing about The 5 Rooms...you might want to bring a travel size shampoo. When we stayed, there wasn't any provided...I don't know if this was just an oversight because I didn't mention it to Yessica since I had some with me.

Regarding Naples, all I can say is that we certainly couldn't have visited Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast on our own. While Pompeii isn't far from the cruise terminal, and is very close to the highway, the Amalfi Coast drive is a totally different story. I wouldn't dream of ever attempting this drive on our own...the road was very congested and there was absolutely nowhere to park in or near the small towns like Positano and Amalfi. The drivers know everyone, so they can manage the traffic/parking problems and they also know how to get back to Naples without using the congested road along the coast.

As far as the actual city of Naples is concerned, we didn't even go there at all...I understand there are some nice shopping areas for tourists, but Nello also told my husband that there are some areas where it would be dangerous for him to walk around wearing his nice (but not terribly expensive) wristwatch. As in every city at home or abroad, it is important to know which areas to visit and which to avoid!

If there's anything else I can help you with; just let me know...

Carla

• 1 month later...

Hi Cola,

I have just discovered this site and read your review of your Med. cruise. I found all of your info and insights fascinating. I can't wait for our Med cruise which is more than a year away ! I do have one question regarding having a driver pick you up for a tour of Rome. Does the driver actually meet you in Civitavecchia or do you have to get yourself to Rome and arrange a pick up point ? I would think one of the advantages of a private driver would be to avoid the long bus ride to Rome. Also, does having a driver include getting you into places w/o the long lines, say like the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel? If you have the time, I would love to hear from you! MG

jewell.halwachs@attglobal.net

This is one of the most comprehensive and well-organized reviews I've ever had the pleasure to read. I've written a few of them myself and I appreciate the time you put into this effort. We will all benefit!

I liked it that you gave us the name of the restaurants and the overall description of the meals and the cost. That was an excellent inclusion.

You truly gave me a present tonight and I thank you for it.

It is really nice that so many of you have taken the time to let me know that you enjoyed my review - thanks so much!

Just to clarify regarding the private drivers...they picked us up on the dock at the bottom of the gangway, except in Athens where we had to walk out of the terminal to the parking lot. They will arrange whatever you wish to see or do and will advise you what is possible within your timeframe. We found it is wise to let them determine where to go at any given time during the day; they know best how to avoid the traffic and crowds. Our guide in Athens, Paul, had to change our planned itinerary when we came across a demonstration downtown and the day worked out great anyway.

Our drivers were so amazing, after every port we wondered if the next driver would be able to meet our high expectations...we were never disappointed! The time I spent reading the CC boards really paid off, which is why I wanted to post our experiences.

Any other questions...please let me know!

Carla

Carla,

How did you get in touch with your driver Paul in Athens?

Paul's US website is http://www.greecebytaxi.com/

Click on the "contact" link and you will have his email and phone number. Our full day tour (in May, so prices could have gone up) was 250 euros for a 4 passenger car not including the tip. We probably over tipped everyone at around 15%...we also asked Paul to join us for lunch, not only because we don't speak Greek (and we always asked our drivers to take us to restaurants where the locals eat, not restaurants that cater to tourists), but because we enjoyed his company and were treated to more stories and information while we dined. He was extremely considerate and accommodating, so we felt like we got the most out of our short time in Athens. Enjoy!

• 7 months later...

Archived