sea conditions between NZ and Australia

Cellen

We are on Celebrity Dec 9th 2007 cruise. Does anyone know what the sea conditions will be like along the NZ coast and when sailing between NZ and Australia. We have a forward cabin and wonder if we will suffer a lot of motion from rough sea conditions.

The Tasman Sea can be extremely rough or it can be quite calm. If doesn't matter when you sail it, whether it be winter or summer, it is just luck. Just pray for no cyclones etc. further out in the Pacific when you are on board.

If you have read the link that Globiliser has posted above, the posters are talking about two different seas. The sea between New Zealand and Tasmania is the Tasman and the sea between Hobart/Launceston and Melbourne is Bass Strait. Both can be very rough.

Bass Strait in particular has a history of losing so many ships back in the 1800's due to the shocking conditions and the rocky coast along Victoria. We sailed between Melbourne and Devenport last October, which is our spring and we had a very rough passage. We returned 10 days later and it was just so calm, hard to believe it was the same passage of water.

Jennie

• 1 month later...

Relief Bands

We use a product called a ReliefBand. It looks like this:

Relief%20Band.jpg

Of all of the great features, the one I like best is that you can use it after you start to feel nauseous, so I don’t have to wear it all the time I’m cruising. The pills and patches have to be used before you feel queasy, and the wrist bands have to be worn all the time.

Since it is not a drug, you can start to feel results within minutes, and it doesn't have drug side effects, like headaches, dizziness, or drowsiness. You can eat and drink anything while you're wearing it, including alcohol. It is so safe that it can even be used by pregnant women.

This is how the website describes how it works: “Usually, without you even knowing it, your stomach muscles have a gentle rhythm of contraction. When you experience nausea, this rhythm becomes erratic. The ReliefBand® uses mild electrical stimulation of the median nerve, located on the underside of your wrist, to send a message through the brain that can make the stomach rhythm return to normal.”

The bands are not inexpensive and you can use products that are cheaper; but you get what you pay for! These are worth every penny to me. Besides the ReliefBand last forever. Pills and patches have expiration dates, and wrist bands are just ugly.

BTW, I do not have any connection whatsoever with this company. I just love their product.

Online, at Drugstore.com

Archived