Medical Question on RCCL Ships

We are scheduled to sail on AOS on next Sunday, 7/16 out of San Juan. My youngest son (15 years old) is just getting ready to be released from the hospital as he was diagnosed with complications from Lyme Disease. He was experiencing very bad headaches... as it turned out the Lyme Disease (which we didn't know he had) had attacked his central nervous system and he had meningitis. Heavy duty antibiotics administered via IV have reversed his symptoms and he is doing better.

However, the antibiotics are required for 4 weeks total and he has had a PICC line inserted in his arm. If we are given clearance by the doctor, he will require antibiotics throughout the cruise.

Aside from the obvious restrictions he'll be facing (swimming, activities) which will be rough enough on him, does anyone know if there will be a problem with this on AOS?? Will I need to obtain clearance from the ship or from RCCL to bring the meds on board. Has anyone had any experience with a situation like this?

Should the doctor decide it's not a good idea for him to go, we are covered as I did get travel insurance. But when asked, he said he'd rather go on this trip because we are going as part of a large gang and he wants to be with "everyone" on this cruise. So, we're keeping our fingers crossed that the doctor and RCCL have no problems with us going.

Thanks in advance for any input.

As an RN who works in home health care, we do alot of teaching and training patients and families how to administer their own IV's. It is not a complicated procedure and you can easily infuse his meds in the cabin.. You will probably need a doctor's letter, and I would encourage you to email the special needs department, (or call them, calling would be faster)

The email is special_needs@rccl.com

Note that there is an underscore between special_needs

The number is 1-800-722-5472 ext. 34492

Hope that helps! :)

I don't know if this relates or is in anyway helpful, but if you do require the medical facilities, I can say it is very well run, and completely professional. On both Explorer and Navigator, and I'm sure the AOS as well, the care was excellent.

Good luck and I hope things work out for your son and your family.

^ ^ Indeed, however the original poster should know that the Physician on staff does not keep regular doctor's hours. On Explorer in May, we were surprised to read in the Cruise Compass how very little the doctor does work (no offense). His hours are limited to only a few each day, so perhaps it's best to not rely on the ship's doctor for anything more than emergency advice?

God bless. I hope you can make the cruise. I'm sure you'll all have a wonderful time. :)

I had a PICC line in last fall for antibiotics to combat a case of MRSA (which I picked up in a nursing home - 3 days before I was due to be released, after 2 1/2 months). The 6-week regimin (sp) was really quite easy to self administer; mine was in small bottles which took about two hours to administer, twice a day; I would simply attach the line from the bottle to the PICC line, stick the bottle in my pocket and go about my business. Keep in mind that the drugs need to be kept in a refridgerator and I seriously doubt if the fridge in the cabin would keep it cold enough.

Good luck to you & your son with this. I'm sure the ship's medical office would be able to assist you in keeping your son's antibiotics cold enough.

We are scheduled to sail on AOS on next Sunday, 7/16 out of San Juan. My youngest son (15 years old) is just getting ready to be released from the hospital as he was diagnosed with complications from Lyme Disease. He was experiencing very bad headaches... as it turned out the Lyme Disease (which we didn't know he had) had attacked his central nervous system and he had meningitis. Heavy duty antibiotics administered via IV have reversed his symptoms and he is doing better.

However, the antibiotics are required for 4 weeks total and he has had a PICC line inserted in his arm. If we are given clearance by the doctor, he will require antibiotics throughout the cruise.

Aside from the obvious restrictions he'll be facing (swimming, activities) which will be rough enough on him, does anyone know if there will be a problem with this on AOS?? Will I need to obtain clearance from the ship or from RCCL to bring the meds on board. Has anyone had any experience with a situation like this?

Should the doctor decide it's not a good idea for him to go, we are covered as I did get travel insurance. But when asked, he said he'd rather go on this trip because we are going as part of a large gang and he wants to be with "everyone" on this cruise. So, we're keeping our fingers crossed that the doctor and RCCL have no problems with us going.

Thanks in advance for any input.

I hope that your son is able to go, but don't rely on any advice on this board on this subject. You MUST speak with his physician and RCCL in order to make an informed decision.

^ ^ Indeed, however the original poster should know that the Physician on staff does not keep regular doctor's hours. On Explorer in May, we were surprised to read in the Cruise Compass how very little the doctor does work (no offense). His hours are limited to only a few each day, so perhaps it's best to not rely on the ship's doctor for anything more than emergency advice?

God bless. I hope you can make the cruise. I'm sure you'll all have a wonderful time. :)

The advertised hours may not seem like much, but trust me the doctors are on call 24 hours a day. My husband had a heart attack on the Serenade a couple of years ago and after calling 911 a nurse came to our cabin with a wheelchair and oxygen and took him to the medical facility. Even though it was not regular hours the doctor and nurse were there. There was always a doctor and at least one nurse on duty any time I visited my husband - which was any time I wanted - I just called from the waiting area to let them know I was there and they let me in. There always seemed to be a member of the crew in there also receiving medical attention.

The advertised hours may not seem like much, but trust me the doctors are on call 24 hours a day. My husband had a heart attack on the Serenade a couple of years ago and after calling 911 a nurse came to our cabin with a wheelchair and oxygen and took him to the medical facility. Even though it was not regular hours the doctor and nurse were there. There was always a doctor and at least one nurse on duty any time I visited my husband - which was any time I wanted - I just called from the waiting area to let them know I was there and they let me in. There always seemed to be a member of the crew in there also receiving medical attention.

The only reason that the doctor has hours posted in the Daily Compass is for passengers that have routine questions. The doctor is "on call" 24 hours a day.

Rick

Are the medical facilities fully equiped to handle most emergencies and routhine things? x-rays, blood work? Never been down to the medical areas but I would assume its rather modern. Does anyone know the criteria for the doctor to call for a helicopter medevac from the ship? Thanks.

You should call RCCL and get the ok and remember the doctors on the ship are not free and if you have to utilize them in their "off hours" it costs even more. If you need their services you will pay no matter what, been there done that. However they are wonderful and I would never hesitate to utilize their facilities. My husband put out his back on our last cruise, they took great care of him as he couldnt even stand up. :)

Hey Al,

Just happened to stumble across your posting. Hope Ryan is feeling better. If there's anything we can do to help, please just call us! It wouldn't be the same cruise without you guys!!!

Karen

I use meds that must be kept cold. I asked the Room Steward to fill up ice bucket nd put it in the fridge. This kept the fridge colder so the meds stayed good. The fidge is more like a cold box but not that cold. I would also take some extra in case something happens. Give some to the doctor to hold (as aways keep two day suppy). This way the doctor knows what is wrong and has the meds if required. Bring some of his history Ie weight, height, list of current meds, allergies. these can put put on a piece of paper and given to doctor with extra meds so that she/he knows before hand what they may have to deal with, which is important in an emergency.

I think that you really need to talk with his physician about this, my primary concern is the airplane ride to get to Puerto Rico. Have you spoken to his physician about the pressure changes involved in flying at 30,000 feet and how this will affect the swelling that is the result of lyme menningitis? Also, how is he doing with movement? Does he become dizzy, headache's worse or become ill when moving and turning his head? On the ship he is going to receiving constant change in movement input from his body as the ship is moving and swaying on the sea.

I know that it is very disappointing to need to reschedule a trip but from experience I know that when you go on that rescheduled trip it is sooooo much better because there are no restrictions and everyone can enjoy themselves.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Ryan has been discharged from the hospital and is doing much better. The doctor has given us clearance to go based on how well he is doing already and seeing that we don't fly to PR until next Sunday, which is still 9 days away.

However, the cruise still holds some concerns as we'll have to get his meds stored properly at the proper temperature and we'll have to administer daily. Luckily he only requires them once a day as opposed to twice.

I will be contacting RCCL today about these issues. Then it will just be a matter of keeping Ryan "reeled in" during the cruise so he doesn't do any damage to the PICC line. THAT might be the most challenging... the kid doesn't like to sit still. But I think he understands the importance of taking care of this while overseas, so I'm Ok with it.

T-Minus 9!

Archived