Med Weather in Sept

I keep reading about the temps being from uncomfortable to miserable in the Med this time of the year Can someone tell me what it's like in mid-September and early October? We live in the hottest state of the union so heat doesn't bother us, but the humidity is a killer when you're used to a dry heat (Arizona). Searching weather websites it appears temps are in the mid-80's during that period but no mention of humidity levels.

Well, in general the Med isn't especially humid by european standards - the UK, for example, can be very humid and if it were any hotter here could be really uncomfortable.

However, it may well be a bit more humid than Arizona! Nonetheless it won't be that hot - unless there's an indian summer (which can happen) the temps are beginning to drop by September, and certainly by October. Generally I would expect temps to be somewhere in the mid-70s by the end of Sep, maybe a bit higher but could also drop into the 60s. It will generally be a bit hotter in the E Med (eg, Greek islands) than in the W Med (eg, Balearics).

How cold does it get at night in Arizona in summer? - I have this idea that the temperature drops a lot overnight in the desert states. In general in the Med temps don't go so low at night - for instance, if the daily max is in the high 80s or low 90s at the moment, you can expect the minimum temp overnight to stay in the 70s.

We live in Texas so we are also used to the hot heat.

With that said we have been to the med in the summer months and most recently cruised the med in September/October and prefered the latter for two reasons. We found it less crowded than in the summer and the weather was more comfortable.

Keith

The last time I was in Europe, we were there the last 2 weeks of Sept. and 1st week of Oct. The weather was spectacular! It was upper 70's to low 80's and not humid. Nights started out warm and cooled down to the 60's later on. Only one day of rain and it was light. Now, 20+ years ago we were in Itlay for our honeymoon at the end of Sept. and it rained 10 out of 21 days we were there. The temps were the same, it was just wet. I guess like here, it is unpredictable. We are going next summer and I am not looking forward to the H & H but it was the only time we could go.

Missyal

Well, is sounds pleasant to me now. You asked how low AZ temps get, well, last night it was 100 deg. at 10:30 PM with a high of 106 so it doesn't cool down much this time of year. Our average nightly low has been 90 for June this year which is the hottest on record. We're now in the monsoon season so it's more humdity than usual (26%).

Keith1010, we're originally from TX so I know how hot and humid it can get there too.

Sounds like a great weather break for us in the MED for Sept/Oct. I'd even welcome the mentioned rain.

You asked how low AZ temps get, well, last night it was 100 deg. at 10:30 PM with a high of 106 so it doesn't cool down much this time of year. Our average nightly low has been 90 for June this year which is the hottest on record.

Wow. That's not what I'd been lead to believe! I imagine airconditioning is an absolute 'must'.

Sounds like a great weather break for us in the MED for Sept/Oct. I'd even welcome the mentioned rain.

You'll probably be packing some sweaters!

How cold does it get at night in Arizona in summer? - I have this idea that the temperature drops a lot overnight in the desert states. In general in the Med temps don't go so low at night - for instance, if the daily max is in the high 80s or low 90s at the moment, you can expect the minimum temp overnight to stay in the 70s.
That's one matter that we were really surprised to note when we first visited Barcelona. We generally have a 20 degree difference between our highs during the day and lows during the night in Arkansas. In Barcelona, there was only approx 5 degrees of difference between the highs and lows, so that affected our packing strategy.

I also think that late September/early October is an ideal time to visit the Med, but we all know that weather is a crap shoot no matter where you go or when you visit. I hope the weather gods will be good to you.

Have a great trip,

Donna

I echo Tom UK - temps should be about 70 + and by October will be dropping, although still pleasant. By the end of October it will be much cooler. September is a good time for crusing in Europe.

Marge M

Thanks to all! This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Now I can really look forward to pleasant weather when in the Med.

Tom UK, yes, the AC is a definite here as well as swimming pools, outdoor misting systems, etc. Our misting system does cool the patio by 10-15 degrees which is still hot but not unbearable. In AZ the perfect parking spot is not up front and close, it's wherever there is a shade tree.

despite the fact that the temperatures will certainly be lower, the same may not be true of the humidity if that is what bothers you. keep in mind that on a cruise, the ports you visit are on the ocean and, as such, the humidity can still be high. I have been in cannes or nice when the temps were in the 70s and humidity in the 80s, then you can get a mistral which is a hot dry air mass blown in from africa. suffice to say, you will undoubtedly be more comfortable later in the fall.

Archived