Florida advice this time round

Patch Nelson

We've opted for something of a changed Itinery once we arrive in Florida and I was after a little help from anyone with local knowledge.

Rather than sticking to Cunards deal of arrival at Ft Lauderdale and then three nights in Miami we are instead heading up to Orlando for the following week ... what can I say, I was deprived of the opportunity to visit Disney as a child so I'm not going to miss out now!

Anyway, when we arrive at Ft Lauderdale we will have to take a cab to the airport where we pick up our hire car for the week. We then have to drive from the airport to our hotel in Orlando, the Radisson off 192.

Now, the fun thing is, the only place I've ever driven other than the UK is Barbados where they drive on the left anyway. I've never driven in the US and after reading a few sites offerring driving advice I'm not exactly looking forward to the experience, especially after learning that undertaking is permitted on the Freeways!

Anyway, the questions I have are:

1) What sort of distance/cost for cab from the port to Ft Lauderdale airport;

2) Any advice on the friendliest route from the airport to the hotel (I don't mind adding time to the journey to stick to the easier roads).

3) Any ideas on journey time for that trip.

All help gratefully received. I do plan on getting hold of a few maps to study intently well before the journey too!

Oh, Patch Nelson, I feel for you! DH and I traveled to England in 1977, and we rented a car. Besides having to get used to the idea of driving on the left side of the road, we ALSO had to adjust to the different vehicle - the driver's side of the car is the RIGHT side, and the passenger sits on the left! Since we'd rent a car with a standard transmission (which I didn't know how to drive at the time), DH had to do all the driving. I did learn how to shift, though, and he'd step on the clutch while I shifted gears. Not being familiar with the road signs was also an experience! In the USA, our stop signs actually SAY "STOP." I assume you know that in America, the driver sits on the left, the passenger on the right.

The best advice I can give you is to take either I-95 or the Florida Turnpike. They are the most direct routes. If you stay in the right lane, you should be okay. It's the slow lane (it generally does keep up with the speed limit, however), and in the USA, the passing lane is on the left. Since both are divided highways, you should be okay. DO study those maps! And have your traveling companion be your navigator! Nothing is more frustrating than having to figure out where to go AND watch the road at the same time. Enjoy Disney! It really is a fun place! And while you are in Orlando, you might want to check out the Universal theme park - my family enjoyed it more than Disney.

We've opted for something of a changed Itinery once we arrive in Florida and I was after a little help from anyone with local knowledge.

Rather than sticking to Cunards deal of arrival at Ft Lauderdale and then three nights in Miami we are instead heading up to Orlando for the following week ... what can I say, I was deprived of the opportunity to visit Disney as a child so I'm not going to miss out now!

Anyway, when we arrive at Ft Lauderdale we will have to take a cab to the airport where we pick up our hire car for the week. We then have to drive from the airport to our hotel in Orlando, the Radisson off 192.

Now, the fun thing is, the only place I've ever driven other than the UK is Barbados where they drive on the left anyway. I've never driven in the US and after reading a few sites offerring driving advice I'm not exactly looking forward to the experience, especially after learning that undertaking is permitted on the Freeways!

2) Any advice on the friendliest route from the airport to the hotel (I don't mind adding time to the journey to stick to the easier roads).

All help gratefully received. I do plan on getting hold of a few maps to study intently well before the journey too!

ft lauderdale to orlando is approx 200+ miles and a 3 hour drive without delays if i was making this trip i would rent a car from hertz and ask hertz to provide a "'never lost "gps system by magellan which will talk you thru every twist and turn including stop lites/stop signs and traffic problems the system works great and is fool proof!! best regards and bon voyage

Regarding driving in Florida, I suggest you read the drivers handbook available at the end of this link

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/handbooks/English/

Note that turning right through a RED light is permitted unless a sign indicates otherwise and NEVER drive without carrying your driving licence (as we can in the UK) as Florida law states you cannot drive without it!!

ft lauderdale to orlando is approx 200+ miles and a 3 hour drive without delays if i was making this trip i would rent a car from hertz and ask hertz to provide a "'never lost "gps system by magellan which will talk you thru every twist and turn including stop lites/stop signs and traffic problems the system works great and is fool proof!! best regards and bon voyage

ALSO TAXES AND SURCHARGES VERY EXPENSIVE AT FLORIDA AIRPORTS SUGGEST YOU MAKE ARRANGEMENT TO PICK UP CAR IN TOWN AND OFF OF AIRPORT PROPERTY!@! GOOD LUCK ( irecently paid $ 268.00 just for taxes and surcharges for a 10 day rental and i had my own insurance)

I'd take a shuttle, or an Amtrak train, if I were you.

Now, that's just my opinion, you might be fine. I remember my complete inability to even look the right way first when crossing the street in England, I see my dad coming back from Antigua (raised in Ohio) and having a heck of a time readapting... You don't know the area, it's not exactly Florida's best front. It might not be worth the nerves.

If you do, I'd second the GPS notion - I have one, and LOVE it! Stay on the right if you want to go slow, move left if there is someone in front of you going slower, but don't be surprised if you get stuck behind someone going a little less and someone whips around on your right. Good luck!

I'd take a shuttle, or an Amtrak train, if I were you.

Now, that's just my opinion, you might be fine. I remember my complete inability to even look the right way first when crossing the street in England, I see my dad coming back from Antigua (raised in Ohio) and having a heck of a time readapting... You don't know the area, it's not exactly Florida's best front. It might not be worth the nerves.

If you do, I'd second the GPS notion - I have one, and LOVE it! Stay on the right if you want to go slow, move left if there is someone in front of you going slower, but don't be surprised if you get stuck behind someone going a little less and someone whips around on your right. Good luck!

and dont forget the single finger salute all the yanks use it!!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

Loved your crosing review.

I've driven in the states, but not Florida, several times but on our last visit I still managed to get into the rental car on the wrong side. Having checked around to make sure no-one saw me I climbed over to the driver's seat.

I had no problems with being in the wrong side of the car, or driving on the wrong side of the road, or having the controls on the other side. The only thing that got me the first couple of times was having the roadsigns on the wrong side of the road! Also noticed (at least in California) that exit signs from the freeways tend to show the name of the street you exit onto, not where it goes to.

I would say that driving on a freeway for the first time is probably easier than driving on a strange motorway in this country. In general, most people stick close to the speed limit and other drivers seemed to be more courtious than here.

One tip: try moving your watch to the opposite wrist as a constant reminder.

Be extra carefull when turning left from a one-way street. You'll be on the left side of the road - where you'd normally be in the UK - and it's very tempting to go to the left side of the street you're turning into. It's when the roads are quiet that you have to watch out.

Question 1) It's about two miles as the crow flies but around four miles by road. Shouldn't be too expensive.

2) No idea. Have you used Google Earth? (earth.google.com - no www) I find it very handy because it overlays roadmaps onto satellite photos making it easier to identify landmarks than on a normal map. Also gives directions and distances as well as estimates of times.

3) If I've picked the right Raddison Hotel, Google Earth gives the distance as 209miles and estimates 3hrs 2mins (seems a little optomistic to me)

Patch,

Ft Laud to Airport is so very easy! It's about five minutes away. Take a cab, take a transfer, take a rental car shuttle (Warning: Avis does not do a shuttle from the port! They stopped it about two years ago!)

As for driving. I have never done the "cross driving thing" but stay in the right lane, which is the "slowpoke" lane. Left lane is where the speediest and weaving in and out will be found. Avoid Rush Hour traffic if at all possible. You don't need to add that stress to driving in an unfamiliar area and manner. Your best bet is probably going to be the Florida Turnpike (Signs are easy to follow) but be aware you will have to stop and pay tolls every so often. (Usually 50 cents or 75 cents, I think. Haven't done it since last fall) Watch for the lanes that say "Speed Pass" That is for people who have a special pass with a magnetic sensor and don't have to stop for the tolls. Orlando is obviously a major tourist destination, so there are signs everywhere! Are you staying "on property" at Disney? Most of the hotels are on International Drive. Lots of restaurants and such, plus Universal is there. Disney doesn't do much discounting. they don't have to!

Judging from my trip to Daytona last month, where I rented the car and flew into and out of Orlando, you will not be the only left hand driver in a right handed world. There were scads of Brits in the line at Alamo.

You should not have a major problem with getting lost. Basically, all signs point to Disney!

Karie,

Who stayed in Orlando BEFORE Disney was built... Ahhh, for the good ol' days. When there was nothing but Orange Groves and Swamps!

Patch -

Well, since we've already agreed to meet each other (me keeping perfectly mum about clever anniversary surprises), we may as well have a chat about Florida and Orlando. (We go every year.)

Too bad you aren't staying on just a night or two in Miami ... we are spending two nights in South Beach before continuing our holiday with a 5-nt trip on Celebrity Century.

My wife's mum lives in Orlando (and a few other relatives as well) and we travel there at least once a year. Will be glad to help you with any advice.

Since you are visiting Orlando (and Disney) for the first time, it will help to know a bit more about you before giving recommendations ... what to see and how long to stay at each place really depends on your age, taste, personality, etc. There is a great deal to see and do.

If you like, please drop me a direct email and I'll be happy to correspond with you. Send to: admin *AT* thewantedplanet-dot-net

Bye for now!

- Spike

Well, as luck would have it, I will be flying into Orlando tomorrow... And renting a car to drive to Daytona. (Not by choice, though)

My father was taken into Hosipce this afternonn. They say that is for folks under 5 days. When My father's wife said something about that, I told her I didn't think they would shoot him if he lasted 6!

So Ask and I'll check as I am driving back to Orlando, if there is anything you need from that direction.

I will try to stay up with things while I am there. I am due to come back the day I get laid off. Think the world is trying to tell me something?

I have applied for FMLA (Family Med Leave) which is supposed to keep you from losing job or benefits while you are taking care of personal or family medical issues. What I don't know is if this stops the already ticking clock on my layoff. I hope so. But I have to go anyway. It just means now I have no time to pack my stuff at the office or anything. Though I have arranged for access to a company building in Florida so I can log in and go on the company site looking for positions. I will have Blackberry laptop and cell phones with me. Will keep working till they show me the door!

Karie,

Who can honestly say she loves what she does

Patch,

enjoyed the reviews - looking forward to our first transatlantic in just a few weeks- getting to that fuzzy feeling when you're suddenly think that not all has been done! We just didn't fancy driving- a bit too long in the tooth- so are Amtraking and thankfully have friends to drive us around!

Our USA visitors a few years ago, arrived rather stunned having driven from the Midlands to the North West - roundabouts were Jim's particular worry. When he saw our mini roundabouts - he visibly whitened!

We have driven in France a few times with no problems - but that was with an English car. You soon get used to it. At least in Florida you're not having to translate the road signs!

You're young, flexible and able- go for it and have a great time!

best wishes

heywood

Karie - Have a safe journey, I hope that you achieve what you want and what is for the best:)

Thanks,

I rearranged our flight. We will now be flying into Daytona tomorrow night (Sunday) and flying out of Orlando on Thursday noon. It was the best they could do for me and Delta waived the change fees. I was finalizing today's flights (their system went down while I was getting ticketed last night- I am using frequent flyer miles for this one) I got the beep - call waiting and did not answer. This was about quarter to 12 noon. It was my brother-in-law calling. My father had just passed. Since there was no reason to rush down there, and I really was a basket case and not of a mind for dealing with airports, airlines, security, renting a car and driving, we made some changes. So we're going down tomorrow. I talked to the funeral home. The director turned out to be someone I went to high school with and marched in the Rose Parade with (Rose Bowl- Tournament of Roses) I had a crush on his brother in Jr. High. Marc and I went out somewhere for a bite tonight (risky, I know I wasn't sure I could hold it toegther- but I had not eaten all day) We ran into old friends, and talk over old times and people. We ended up laughing and having a good time. Something I really needed as I had been on crying jags and sobbing all day (and didn't sleep much thinking about things last night.) They were what I needed. They knew (It's kinda like the Cheers Bar. Everyone knows each other. I even ran into someone from my Florida High School that now lives up here!) It was good to forget a little while, as reality is going to hit pretty hard in the next few days and way beyond.

I did think about our Independence day cruisers, and how sad it is for them getting off the ship this morning.

Well, I have to finsih getting everything repacked and get some shut-eye.

Thanks everyone. You been my strength through this.

Just plain (sad) Karie

Oh Karie,

I have been thinking of you all these times even though I did not post - you are so open and frank about your situation. no one knows how you are feeling but we can sympathise and comfort you- lots of memories will keep you going and as you have already found out - there is still time to laugh. You wil be thankful that you have had your dad well into your 'grown up stage' and all this is there to ease your heart.

Love and prayers

Kath (heywood)

It was my dad's 27 year anniversary this week - he was a big influence on me. - where do the years go!

Karie,

We are very sorry for your loss and you will certainly be in our thoughts. Please know that there are many of us who have never had the pleasure of meeting you but who enjoy reading your posts and who do care about you.

Randy & Mary

Many thanks to all for all the advice. I haven't been ignoring you, just reading it all and then referring back to the maps that I have.

I'm not too bothered about being on the wrong side of the car as I'll still be on the 'outside edge' so to speak what with me being on the wrong side of the road. I must admit to some butterflies about the left turns and I'm already repeating "Left/Long" to myself over and over again in readiness.

I've had advice from work mates who are regular visitors to Florida that the best route to take, albeit it longer in time and distance, would be to take highway 27 (as more of a 'beginners' road) past Highway 4 and then taking the 192 into Orlando.

I've had a look at that one on Google Maps and it seems a fairly straightforward route, although for some bizarre reason on Google Maps the 192 'transforms' into the '530' as you Zoom in ... any idea's on that one?

Many thanks to all for all the advice. I haven't been ignoring you, just reading it all and then referring back to the maps that I have.

I'm not too bothered about being on the wrong side of the car as I'll still be on the 'outside edge' so to speak what with me being on the wrong side of the road. I must admit to some butterflies about the left turns and I'm already repeating "Left/Long" to myself over and over again in readiness.

I've had advice from work mates who are regular visitors to Florida that the best route to take, albeit it longer in time and distance, would be to take highway 27 (as more of a 'beginners' road) past Highway 4 and then taking the 192 into Orlando.

I've had a look at that one on Google Maps and it seems a fairly straightforward route, although for some bizarre reason on Google Maps the 192 'transforms' into the '530' as you Zoom in ... any idea's on that one?

Patch,

We are leaving Daytona for Orlando in a few minutes. My Step Mother tells me to go down 95 to Cocoa and hit 528. You could do the same from FLL. 528 goes into the Beeline which drops right at the airport in my case. Less traffic from here. I-4 seems a bit too far north for you to go from FLL, as that takes you all the wway up to Daytona-

Ooops. I think you are not going onto I-4, which is probably right.

Well, as far as road number change, sometimes they do change, sometimes they just become the same road- two routes following the same road for a way, then split off. Don't worry too much. there should be adequate signage. I'll have to look at maps from your direction later and see if that looks right for you.

Karie,

Who is heading back to Hartford (Colchester) with much sadness in her heart.

Karie,

I just read your post. I am so sorry about your father. I know the cards have been on the table for awhile, but it's always a shock when it happens. I lost my mother (89 yrs) last year after a length illness. I can feel your sadness. Even though your dad is no longer physically here you will always have his memory with you. They say you live on in the people who remember you. I think that is true.

Hang in there. Time will ease the pain somewhat. If you never forget him he will live within you forever.

God bless.

Sue

Patch,

Karie,

Who is heading back to Hartford (Colchester) with much sadness in her heart.

Karie,

So sorry to hear about your loss. You are in my thoughts and you know I'm not too far away (and not a psycho - really - I'm not ;)) If there is anything I can do to support you, let me know - my email address is mskillian @ gmail well I'm sure you know the rest.

Sending you some ((((HUGS)))))

Thank you all. I didn't mean to hijack the thread. It's been a rough week. And still not out of the water yet on my job (getting laid off on Tuesday), but I got a call last night from the union- There is yet hope. I haven't been truly able to grieve, because I have been having to keep up appearances (always, when you are the family, and have to be there as much for the other mourners as they are for you) and having to keep my head straight and try to salvage my job of over 27 years!

Marc's father is going on our Sept 2 cruise.And a dear, dear friend, who is on this board- And Maria shall remain nameless <G> has assured me that my father will be there with us... In spirit, and we will toast to him!

You people are the best. Honestly. I haven't even told my "other" friends yet. Your support has meant so much to me. People "warn " about the types you find on the internet. Well, I guess it all depends on where you look. I have never been let down by the friends I have come to know first in groups I "belong" to on the net.

You guys, spanning the continents, bring the whole world closer together.

Thank you.

Karie

Karie,

We are very sorry for your loss and you will certainly be in our thoughts. Please know that there are many of us who have never had the pleasure of meeting you but who enjoy reading your posts and who do care about you.

Randy & Mary

Hi Karie

I couldn't put it better than the above quote, you must spend HOURS on this board! your personality certainly shines through every post and I feel like I know so much about you after a few of our exchanges, i've still not sent you the picture of my banana...sorry

My thoughts are with you, lots of love from Mark in Manchester UK x

Archived