St Pete, Russia Tour-Desperate! Help!

smvthecpa

I'm on the Constellation leaving Dover July 29, in St Pete Aug 2/3. Thought I had Denrus 2 half day tours (catherine's palace/hermitage) on Aug 3. Just told Palace sold out when tried to confirm. (Taking ship's all day jewish tour the first day) What do I do now? Denrus & Red October want to sell me the exorbitant 2 day tours and subject me to fancy lunches at approx $265 pp., $600 total. (I'm suppose to "tip" the guides as well?) Am I stuck? Any other St Pete tour options? How do I contact the alternatives?

First, you probably still have tours through the cruise line you can fall back on for Day 2.

Second, go to the Baltics Forum, and you will find the names of other recommended operators.

Third, I really think you need to get on the phone (I suspect you've just been emailing) and talk to a live person at Denrus and/or RO to become better educated about your options. I can't imagine either of those companies NOT having a one-day touring option for you that will meet your needs, interests and budget. (Note, the standard tour lunches are not an expensive component of the tour price. You will definitely want to tip the guides and drivers, as they will make your visit to SPb fabulous and memorable!)

Fourth, it is difficult to appreciate from your post what the issue over Catherine's Palace might be. I will just say that unless you have a specific reason why you *must* go to Catherine's Palace, you should research Peterhof and give it strong consideration as an alternative if, indeed, going to Catherine's is not a viable option. At Peterhof, in addition to the splendid palace--which to the average tourist is very similar to Catherine's--you have the magnificent outdoor fountains, gardens, boat dock, etc. to admire.

It'll all work out! Have a wonderful trip.

I'm on the same cruise and am working on some stuff with Red October. E-mail me at tordon"at"sympatico.ca and I'll send you what I have. We are booking a two day tour but I'm sure RO would allow you to just go the first day. The first day we do:

1 hr sightseeing

Peterhof

Hermitage

Peter and Paul Fortress

By the way, have you visited the roll call?

Here is the link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=221582&page=5

Both Palaces (in Peterhoff and Pushkin) are worth visiting.. Each of them is unique, but if I had to choose, I'd pick Peterhoff, because of the park...

First and formost beware, if you do not take tours with the cruise line you will need a Russian visa to go beyond the pier on your own.

We took the Moscow tour the first day, it was hectic and expensive but well worth it. Toured the Kremlen, red square, and had a great dinner in a Russian rest. As I recall tour goes from 8:00am arriving back on the ship around midnight. The trip from St. petersburg to Moscow and back is by flying, that alone was an experence taht we still laugh about.

The next day we had a private car, driver and guide (all arranged by the cruise line) He took us to the jewish sights (we requested it), one of the palaces because of construction did not have time for the other palace. We also stopped in the Hermitage.

There is so much culture and history in Russia taht 2-days is not enough.

First and formost beware, if you do not take tours with the cruise line you will need a Russian visa to go beyond the pier on your own.

To clarify, you will NOT need a Russian visa to tour with independent operators that are authorized by the Russian government to extend the same special visa waiver to cruise pax that the cruise line-sponsored tour company is authorized to extend. You may confidently make tour arrangements with Red October, Denrus and Alla...the three operators most-discussed on the Baltics forum...without securing your own visa. The only limitation is that you must stay with your tour guide at all times.

Have a great visit to St. Petersburg!

We did the Red October tour three years ago and it was worth every penny. It does seem at first like a lot of money but you will find that in most of the European cities, all tours (ship and private) run a lot more than you may have experienced before on other cruises.

We did save money by combining with other people from our cruise. They did have a box lunch alternative to the sit down lunch but everyone in your van would have to agree in advance.

I think this was the highlight of the Baltic ports so consider that when you figure out if you want to spend this much money for two days.

Remember also that you are in the prime time of European vacation season so some things may be sold out if they only offer so many tours a day. Catherine's Palace is very organized and stages the groups from room to room so I could see where they could sell out in advance.

We used Red October 2 years ago and I highly recommend them. We saw so much more than you can imagine by going with them There is no standing in line anywhere. There were 11 of us and we felt the price was more than worth what was charged. We did a two day tour and wouldn't even consider doing it any other way, especially if it's the first time there.:)

Personally, I thought that the Peterhof Fountains were the most amazing sight of that trip. I enjoyed them more than Catherines Palace.

I'm on the Constellation leaving Dover July 29, in St Pete Aug 2/3. Thought I had Denrus 2 half day tours (catherine's palace/hermitage) on Aug 3. Just told Palace sold out when tried to confirm. (Taking ship's all day jewish tour the first day) What do I do now? Denrus & Red October want to sell me the exorbitant 2 day tours and subject me to fancy lunches at approx $265 pp., $600 total. (I'm suppose to "tip" the guides as well?) Am I stuck? Any other St Pete tour options? How do I contact the alternatives?

Archived