Travelex or Travel Guard

Has anyone used either one of these? I'm trying to decide which would be the best coverage for our Oct. cruise. We mainly want coverage in case the trip is canceled for any reason. Is it too late for us to purchased our insurance since our cruise is a few months away?

I've used both, but prefer Travelex Travel Lite policy. It's primary coverage and the prices are very reasonable. We had to submit a claim and they were very prompt in paying and their customer service was fabulous.

If pre-existing conditions need to be covered (and that would include yourself, traveling companion, business partner, family member, etc.), then you need to purchase insurance within 21 days of making deposit. Pre-existing conditions can be as simple as medication changes, so I find it's best to always buy the insurance within that 21 day window to avoid any problems down the road.

Thank you for your reply. We put and deposit on the trip several months ago and have to pay the balance by next month so not sure how the pre-existing condition will work. I have high blood pressure and have been on the same medication for several years and it's under control. My dad has high blood pressure and diabetes and he's also on medication and on the same medication for awhile. Will we still be covered?

I now use Travelex Lite rather than some of the company plans that we have used in the past.

One of the items that I like about Travelex is that they act as your primary carrier during the trip. This means that should you have a medical issue you can send your bills to them rather than first sending it to your health insurance provider to see what they will pay and then onto Travelex for those items that your insurance company didn't cover.

As mentioned by jerseygirl and is the case with some of the other companies, in order to be covered for a pre-existing condition you needed to have purchased the Travelex policy within about two or three weeks (I had thought it was two weeks but it might be three weeks as jerseygirl mentioned) of the time you first made the deposit for the cruise. The other benefit they provide is that if you buy the insurance right away they will cover you should the cruise line go bankrupt.

At this point since you didn't purchase it right away (sometimes we do but many times we don'tas we don't as we don't have any pre-existing condidions) you can purchase the insurance anytime prior to the beginning of your cruise. I wouldn't cut it down to the wire. What I would do now is go to there web site to figure out there cost based on the input you provide. While you can order the policy throught their web site I would recommend calling them since this is your first time with them just to make sure you do everything correctly. They will e mail you your policy information as an enclosure to an e mail.

There are likely other good company policies out there and each person has their favorite and normally I don't offer advice on which company to pick as it is a personal decision but since you asked about Travelex I wanted to say that of late we've had good success with them.

Keith

I have used Travelex and Travel Guard, but have only had to file a trip cancellation claim with Travel Guard. They were very prompt in paying it. I had a check in hand within 6 days of their receipt of all the paperwork.

Are you aware of insuremytrip.com? At this site, you can compare the policies offered by many companies.

Archived