Do We Have To Leave Luggage Unlocked?

We're driving to the pier, so we won't be dealing with airport security. Am I correct in assuming, however, that, just as if we were flying, we cannot lock our checked luggage unless we have the special TSA locks?

You should have no problem locking your luggage. I am only aware of the problems at the airports. Since we have to fly in we purchased the TSA approved locks. Our luggage stays locked from the time we leave home until we unpack on the ship.

I don't believe that is true as far as shipboard security is concerned. However, we never pack anything valuable in our luggage (only in our carryons) so we don't lock our luggage anyway. In my mind a lock on the luggage seems to signal that there are valuables inside, and I doubt that very many locks deter professional criminals. If you prefer to lock your luggage, go ahead. It shouldn't be a problem.

we just returned last night, and I locked my luggage the entire trip with the zip locks. apparently if anyone opens them to inspect, they have to replace them and leave a note. since you are not flying, that wouldn't matter.

I felt safer locking my luggage, especially the night you leave it out in the hall and it sits in the terminal.

I don't believe that is true as far as shipboard security is concerned. However, we never pack anything valuable in our luggage (only in our carryons) so we don't lock our luggage anyway. In my mind a lock on the luggage seems to signal that there are valuables inside, and I doubt that very many locks deter professional criminals. If you prefer to lock your luggage, go ahead. It shouldn't be a problem.

No matter what you do you wont stop the professionals if they want something. The locks will deter the casual ones that are looking for an easy hit.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm just trying to decide which of our suitcases to use, only some of which can be locked. All our valuables will be in our carry-ons, so that's not an issue. I'm more concerned (probably needlessly) with a suitcase suddenly popping open if it's not locked.

In the last ten years we have traveled all over ..... at least 2 vacations a year ..... we never lock our luggage. Of course we usually fly first or just fly. I have never had one item turn up missing. If they want to get in..... they will. Even better you could end up with the whole suitcase missing.....

We too never put our medications, jewelry, id's etc. in our suitcase.... just clothes/shoes etc....

we just returned last night, and I locked my luggage the entire trip with the zip locks. apparently if anyone opens them to inspect, they have to replace them and leave a note. since you are not flying, that wouldn't matter.

I felt safer locking my luggage, especially the night you leave it out in the hall and it sits in the terminal.

Zip locks are a deturant how? I can see the theif now leaving a note that says. "Thanks! So much easier to steal (inspect) with plastic ties rather than steel locks. Sure makes life great."

I used zip ties to "lock" our bags, it just made me feel better...especially when you leave them in the halls last night. just remember to put a small scissor or nail clippers in an outside pocket to open them when you get to your cabin!

We always lock our bags with TSA locks, and today our rate of having bags looked at is at about 30 percent. It used to be as high as 80 percent. There is a color code on our lock that turns from green to red if TSA gets into the bag. TSA also leaves a note stating that they have inspected the bag. SORRY FOR THE INCONVIENCE! Bla bla bla.

It's true if someone really wanted to get into our bags, they would figure out how to pop the TSA lock, but we have never had that happen.

Rick

I also use the TSA locks. It isn't so much a fear of someone taking anything out but a fear of someone putting some illegal substance inside. That would be fun to try and explain at Customs.

Each of my last three cruises, my luggage has been opened by Homeland Security and I have never had a note placed inside. The only way I knew, besides the broken handles and zippers :mad: was the sticker left on the outside of the bag.

LNF

I always lock my luggage. A lock is only to keep honest people honest. If a crook wants into your luggage bad enough, a lock isn't going to stop him.

Anyway, there shouldn't be anything expensive in your checked baggage anyway - only in your carry-on.

Like you, I wasn't flying, so I just used the cheap little locks that came with the suitcase. I just didn't want to make it easy for anyone to get in, plus it did keep the zipper closed.

Just came back from a trip to Costa Rica, and my bag was picked for inspection at the airport in San Jose, so I had to unlock it so they could paw through it. When he was done, he was just going to zip it back up but I stopped him and arranged the things inside a little better (I had some stuff that was possibly breakable, that I wanted in the middle surrounded by clothing), and then locked it up again. Just got the TSA locks, so I haven't had any US experience with them being opened.

cruising. There is no reason to leave them unlocked. If you are driving to the port your stuff should be locked, they will scan it before it gets to your room and if there is a problem they will call you to open it. You don't know who is walking down the hall the night before you leave and decides to open your suit case, would you leave your bags outside your house the night before you leave for your cruise and think they would be untouched the next morning, chances are NOT.

Starspangle1,

I was more concerned with embarkation day, since that's the only time the bags are inspected/xrayed, and I wouldn't want an inspector to be breaking open a bag because he couldn't unlock it. That's not an issue on the last night, so I'm not worried about locking up the bags.

When we drive to the port (we live in Florida) we always use small locks that fit thru the holes in the all the zippers to lock our luggage.

If we fly, we use the plastic zip ties.

When we fly overseas, I put a pocket knife in one of the outside pockets of the suitcase and leave it unzipped. Never had it stolen and, so far, our luggage has not been searched. But, other than the pocket knife, all we pack is clothes. Everything else is in our carryons.

In the Southern Hemisphere (where I live) there is a well-publicised case where a young woman is serving a life sentence in an Asian jail because marijuana was discovered in the outside pocket of her surfboard case - she claims it was placed there after she checked in her baggage and without her knowledge.

True or not, I now choose to make sure all pockets on my luggage are locked.

I use the TSA approved lock on the main zip and will put plastic zip ties on all other zips.

My thinking is this: While no lock will stop a determined thief, and someone may break into my case if they have enough time, my precautions should stop an opportunistic person from opening a zip and either quickly pilfering my clothing or depositing illegal substances without my knowledge.

Celle

We're driving to the pier, so we won't be dealing with airport security. Am I correct in assuming, however, that, just as if we were flying, we cannot lock our checked luggage unless we have the special TSA locks?
You may lock your luggage and if ship security wants it opened they will summon you to open it - at least that's what happened to some friends of ours when security thought their corkscrew was a knife. They got back to their cabin & there was a phone message from security asking them to come down and open their bag.

I never really considered locking luggage until after reading the thread where so many peoples SHOES were being stolen :eek: (from enchantment of all places) and other ship sailing to the caribbean.. and I am going on enchantment in approx 2 weeks.. I do not intend to have MY shoes stolen..so I did buy TSA locks fro all luggage this time around. :)

Archived