Guido the guide in Florence

Jeter and Lisa,

I'm so excited for you!!! Please let me know how everything goes. I will check back here on the Europe Board for your reviews. Have a wonderful, wonderful time!

Please give my best to Guido when you see him!

I contacted Guido yesterday but have not heard from him. Do you think this is unusual?

Guido will get back to you ... but keep in mind that this is really the busiest time of year for tour guides / drivers. The good ones are booked everyday and for Guido that means day-after-day of long 12+ days. He'll be in touch as soon as he can.

Dorothy-

You have gotten me so excited about our cruise that I just emailed Guido to check his availability for next July. I know it's early but I'm a planner by nature. If you have any other suggestions on drivers, tours, etc. I would love to hear them.

Did you ever think of being a guide? I think you would be wonderful!

We used private drivers throughout the Med ... and Guido was one of the highlights of our vacation. He is absolutely wonderful ... a native of Florence and knows the city (and countryside) like the back of his hand. And, one of the benefits of being a resident of Florence, he can drive you right up to the doorstep of the famous cathedrals, museums, etc. ... where other tour drivers and buses drop you off somewhere on the outskirts of historic areas. This saves lots of time ... plus you feel so "special" driving right through these piazzas crowded with pedestrians!:D

He emailed me back and we have a customized itinerary, basically what we wanted for Sept 20. And we are looking forward to the specialDavid tour and wine tasting as Antonella's(spelled ?)

We also booked with Nello in Naples....LSS

I'm sorry I haven't read the board in a little while. I have been attending a seminar. July, I would love to be a guide, and was tempted to move to Italy and study to become one. Our guides at the Vatican had done exactly that. They were all Americans that once in Rome, decided to move there. They love the country and the history and were wonderful guides for us.

July, I can certainly recommend each of the guides it used. I wrote a review on each and if the contact info isn't there, I am happy to provide it. The rules of this board, you must ask for it, before I can give it.

ISS, I'm excited that you will be with Guido and that he is taking you to see Antonella. I just received an email from her yesterday. She said Guido had brought in 6 people who read about her from this board. She is so thrilled. When we first met with her, she was telling us this was her passion. She loved talking to people about the wine in the region and entertaining them in her shop. She made us some wonderful bruschetta and served cheeses from the region as well. She has a map of Tuscany and describes the types of wines that come from each area. She definately knows her wine and everything she served us was excellent. Because the wine is all estate bottled, you can be sure you are drinking only the purist wines. A lot of people don't realize there are added chemicals to a lot of wines. I received my case of wine from Antonella's shop. I ordered an entire case. It is all excellent, but beware of the shipping charges. Although, the wine is some of the best and not very expensive, the shipping charges are astromonical. If you can purchase and bring it home on the ship and plane it would be much cheaper. I found wine tasting at Antonella's to be a way to save time for other things to do. If you went into the Tuscan Countryside it would take all day, however, you can drink wines from many different wineries in the region all from Antonella's shop and have plenty of time to do everything else in Florence and Pisa.

Enjoy Guido and Antonella. They are lovely people and I hope to visit with them next year for a week before my next cruise Venice to Greece.

Dororthy-

You're reviews make me want to fly to Italy today! I was able to find your reviews along with the drivers you used. I do have another question for you and I hope it doesn't sound too ignorant. After reading a lot of postings I've come to find out that the museums are closed in Florence on Monday's and that is when we're going to be there. I'm sure there are many other sights to see but now I am rethinking our cruise and maybe looking for another line that will stop at the ports on more convenient days. What is your opinion on this?

thanks-Brianne

Brianne,

Thanks for all the kind words. My opinion, if it were me in your shoes, since you planned on using Guido, I would email him and ask him. Before making any decisions, ask Guido about what is closed on Monday's and to be sure there are no national holidays during your time there. If you have a specific itinerary in mind, ask him if it would be possible to tour everything on your list on that day. Guido would know for sure. He is very kind and open to answering these questions to help you determine what you want to do.

P.S. The reason I mention the national holidays, the day after our stop in Florence was going to be a holiday for them and he mentioned we got lucky coming the day we did because everything would have been closed.

The reason you're having problems, that isn't his website. He was having problems with it last month and now it appears someone else has taken over his URL. The website you are seeing is a page for signing up for internet service.

If you want to get in contact with him, email him directly at:

pierguido.sarzani@email.it

Meanwhile, I will email him myself and let him know (he may already know) the problem with his site.

He already emailed me and he's not taking any reservations for 2007 yet. From his just his email he sounds very charming. I hope we will be able to book him for our trip. (I also better steel myself against the charms of the Italian language before we go :) !)

I got an email from Guido too. He tells me he is having problems with his server again and is working on it. The best way to reach him is just to email him directly.

BTW, others have asked if Guido works alone or not. He tells me he does, but if he gets busy, he has 4 other drivers (also natives of Florence) that he calls upon. He says there are other companies out there that will claim to have him as one of their guides, so they can get the business. So beware, if you want the original Guido, you must contact him directly via his email address.

We have booked Guido for the October 23rd stop of the Jewel in Livorno touring Tuscany. We have been to Florence and plan to use his skills in Tuscany.With all the great reviews we are looking forward to a great tour.

I'm so glad to see so many people utilizing Guido. I think you all will have a great time. He is so knowledgable about Florence and where to go and what to see and do. After all, he is 3rd generation in his family growing up in Florence. It is his hometown and he knows it like the back of his hand. Please post a review on your time spent with Guido when you return.

Archived