Maybe no dining room for us next week

We have had a very difficult time with the planning of our upcoming cruise on AOS departing Sunday out of San Juan.

We are part of an informal group of 21 that all booked in smaller groups... but all chose late seating for dinner. A good portion of this group has cruised before together and late seating was our preference... although I know a few of the others had previously cruised and ate early. They decided to go along with the rest and eat late. Everything was settled.

Then, we determined that our dream of staying in a Grand Suite was not going to be affordable. We had to switch to a pair of Prominade rooms so that we could afford the trip. Here's where we got messed up. Did you know that if you switch cabins (at least if you downsize), you lose your dining preference??? We lost late seating and got put in main... and wait-listed for late. And never made it to late. My family is devestated as we have been seperated from our big group. Not to mention we actually prefer late seating. We can't get ready for 6pm dinner. I know me, I know my wife... and I know my kids. It isn't happening.

Now, in the latest twist... my son (discussed in another thread) was just discharged from the hospital last week after a battle with Lyme Disease attacking his central nervous system. He now has a PICC line in his arm and has to administer IV antibiotics... at 7pm daily! Right in the middle of dinner!

A call to RCCL has not helped since seating is "closed".... the list is already on the ship with the dining staff.

And of course we are arriving to the ship on the late side Sunday, so everyone will already have been to the dining room to get situated. We are going to go straight there... but I know what the answer will be. They'll have no room for us in late seating and we will be relegated to Windjammer every night while our group is in the dining room. We love dinner in the dining room with our group. We love formal nights.

Feeling dread right now... I hope it works out... but I sense it not happening. This will be a true test of RCCL performance for me... if they straighten this mess out for us.

I'll report from the ship...

BUZZ

This is not the end of the world, you can make it work for you. Go to the early dinner, yes, your wife and kids can do it. Check with your doctor about why the IV can't be given at 9:00 instead of 6:00, i'm certain it is flexible as long as it's the same time everyday.

You will be fine separated from your group, in fact, it might even be more fun. Plan an arrangement to meet with them after their dinner and spend the evening together.

Your cruise is what you make of it, don't go with a bad attitude or it will be terrible for you and your friends and family.

You are likely to find that the dining room staff will be far more accommodating than the office staff. Just go and see the Maitre d' and explain the situation and I am sure that they can sort this out for you in a good way.

As Sally just said, go with a positive attitude and ask the right questions to the right people...ie those on the ship who generally will bend over backwards to help you if they know that there is a problem.

So don't fret, just go on your cruise, enjoy it to the full and don't let what an officeworker has said sway you from enjoying yourselves. :)

I appreciate your thoughts Sally... but our group is why we cruise. We hang with them, we eat with them, we go to shows before/after with them. We have drinks before dinner with them. We are a very close knit group.

Yes, I'm sure we can change the IV time if need be. But I'll be honest. I don't think I should've lose my late seating by downsizing my cabins. And I don't want to eat early. I don't want to rush in the late afternoon, coming off excursions.

So, the problem existed before the medical issue with my son. That just seemed to be the final kick in the teeth though.

I know a cruise is what you make of it. That's why I booked early and chose late dinner. That's what I made of it. If only my finances had cooperated.

If eating with your entire group is the most important thing for you, then forego the formal dining room and eat in the Windjammer. On our last 7 day cruise, we never ate in the dining room, but ate in the Windjammer 5 nights and off the ship the other two. We had never done that before, but it was very enjoyable eating in the Windjammer - in a more casual and relaxed environment.

Whatever you decide, have a great time. I think the ship's crew will do everything possible to accomodate you.

The same thing happenes to us. I am sepated from my children in one of the other cabins. The travel agent said it is no big deal happens all the time. As long as your reservations are linked with the other cabins you wil lget the same seating.

This is absurd. There is no reason you dining preference should have changed. Has your TA talked to RCCL ? Since your group will be at the ship earlier maybe someone formyour group can bring up the issue with the matre d'...I ve changed cabins many times and have nver had my dinig preference changed...as someone else has posted you should be able to get this straightened out on the ship...but it should not have occured.

Keep your chin up, and head to the ship with a positive attitude. If memory serves, the Maitre D' is not ready and waiting at 11:00am to make dining room changes...it tends to be later in the afternoon.

Maybe one of your friends would be willing to get in line and hold a spot for you until you get there, but I don't imagine that is even necessary. PLUS, if this doesn't work, keep checking with the Maitre D' daily. People will be making changes the first two nights until they are satisfied, so it pays not to give up.

You are about to go on a big gorgeous ship on a Caribbean vacation. Try to look at this as a hiccup, not a deal-breaker. It will end up being what you make of it. Have a fantastic time, and don't fret. Fretting won't help, but it WILL hurt! :)

In the meantime, you may want to take the next few days, and gradually start moving that IV time to 8:00. That way, it will be workable no matter which dinner seating you get. :)

T

I do appreciate all of the suggestions. :)

We will eat late, whether it is in the main dining room or in the Windjammer. Early just will not work as we want to be on the same schedule as our group. For that reason, I will not shift my son's IV time... it will remain at 7.

We will have a good time. I think I just woke up this morning a little grumpy over the whole thing. We have sailed VOS and had a blast each time... and know that being on AOS will be very similar as it is a sister ship. But having sailed also makes us know what we like, so switching to early just won't work. We'll try with the Maitre' D when we get there and then each day in an attempt to sit in the dining room, and in the meantime eat in the Windjammer. I admit, I'll feel a little overdressed in the Windjammer on formal night, but we are going to the Captain's reception with our friends and I'll be at the Windjammer in my suit and tie if I have to!! OK, maybe I'll take the jacket off and put it on the back of my chair! ;)

To answer a couple of the questions... I was told we couldn't use the same booking number by my TA. We had to rebook. Was that wrong? It is an online TA that gave us free trip insurance, which is a nice perk, but to be honest the service is slightly inferior. Not sure it was worth the trade off. One thing to consider was that we were going from one cabin (grand suite) to two (prominade cabins). So, using the same booking number probably couldn't work as the two cabins need different booking numbers. I still maintain that rebooking shouldn't cost you your dining preference. It's an issue I'll be writing RCI about after the cruise.

Thanks again for all the thoughts. Is it Sunday yet? :D

I wouldn't give up just yet. There is always room for a change in dining. I would try absolutly all avenues before I go. Are you C&A? try them. Call RCI cust svc and beg and explain you medical situation. They make exceptions all the time. If they can't accomodate you on the first night, try back on the second and see if they can. On my last cruise, I changed on the second night after dining with a family of unruly kids the first night.

But I'll be honest. I don't think I should've lose my late seating by downsizing my cabins. And I don't want to eat early. I don't want to rush in the late afternoon, coming off excursions.

This is the heart of the matter for you. Like the other have said, attitude will make or break both your success in getting what you want, and your enjoyment on the cruise...

With that said, you will get what you want...afterall, you had the seating already and...when you diplomatically make your case to the Matre'd he/she will take good care of you...

You may want to try having yor TA link your cabin to those of the other members of your group. If I am not mistaken that would put you in the same dinner service with them. I really hope it works out the way you want it to!

Melissa

There is absolutely NO reason why you had to have a new booking number. People change SHIPS and keep the same number. Getting a new number for a cabin switch is rediculous. Then TAs wonder why people just book directly with the cruise line. The reason you lost your seating was because you were a new booking NOT because you changed cabins. It has nothing to do with "down sizing" your cabin. As I see it this is all your TAs fault.

Hopefully, you will get this worked out to your satisfaction. I can completely understand wanting to stay with your group not only for dinner but the logistics of the rest of the evening would be very difficult to coordinate with different dining times. However, I don't think that you should try to pin this all on your son's needing antibiotics at a certain time. You and I both know that it doesn't have to be at exactly 7PM.

EDIT: I just reread your post where you said you went from one to two cabins. In this case you could have kept the old booking number for one cabin but would need a new number for the second cabin.

When they cancelled their original booking, it opened up the "waitlist" for late seating dinner and put them at the end of the list. I think it is the right way for it to work.

Next time, they'll book the cabin they know they can afford, and not one they hope they can afford.

When they cancelled their original booking, it opened up the "waitlist" for late seating dinner and put them at the end of the list. I think it is the right way for it to work.

Next time, they'll book the cabin they know they can afford, and not one they hope they can afford.

The issue is that they should not have cancelled the booking. They should have changed the cabin number assigned to the booking. However, the new booking number for the second cabin would have been waitlisted as you describe. So if they wanted to keep their immediate family together they may, in fact, have had to relinquish their late seating confirmation on the first cabin.

Actually, we could afford it when we booked it. Without getting into specifics, another set back caused us to have to downsize.

We can agree to disagree on this.

The issue is that they should not have cancelled the booking. They should have changed the cabin number assigned to the booking. However, the new booking number for the second cabin would have been waitlisted as you describe. So if they wanted to keep their immediate family together they may, in fact, have had to relinquish their late seating confirmation on the first cabin.

Keep in mind the number of passengers did not change... we went from 4 passengers in one cabin to 4 in two. Doesn't impact dinner seating at all.

I think once an individual is booked and has a seating, it should hold even if the booking changes. Sally disagrees I guess, but I do think it's something I'll write to RCI about.

We WILL enjoy this cruise, no matter what... no worries!! I'm up and awake now. Grumpiness gone. Cruise in 4 days! Yay!!

WE have changed ships AND cabins and always kept the same booking number. If they couldn't do that, you would lose your onboard credits when you have to pick a cruise different from the one you choose onboard. I think your ta made a mistake and I would let them try to fix the mess.

I agree with the one poster who suggested that since you will be coming in late to have someone else in your group talk to the Maitre' d about changing your seating. Also, since your son needs to have his meds at a certain time, try calling the special needs (?) desk at RCI and explain all of this to them. They may be able to get you to the front of the list.

I am glad your son is doing better. Enjoy your cruise!

Keep in mind the number of passengers did not change... we went from 4 passengers in one cabin to 4 in two. Doesn't impact dinner seating at all.

I think once an individual is booked and has a seating, it should hold even if the booking changes. Sally disagrees I guess, but I do think it's something I'll write to RCI about.

Nope, it doesn't work that way. A new booking number means those previously waitlisted get to move up in the order into those slots. It all goes by booking number and date that the number was generated not by name or number of people. You could have booked a cruise, say, nine months ago. Today you change something and you end up with a new booking number. For all purposes today becomes the date that you booked your cruise. And, if you had an on board credit assigned to the old number you could well have lost that too.

Nope, it doesn't work that way. A new booking number means those previously waitlisted get to move up in the order into those slots. It all goes by booking number and date that the number was generated not by name or number of people. You could have booked a cruise, say, nine months ago. Today you change something and you end up with a new booking number. For all purposes today becomes the date that you booked your cruise. And, if you had an on board credit assigned to the old number you could well have lost that too.

THAT is exactly what I disagree with. Yes, I understand this is how it works now. But I don't think it's a good practice.

If someone books early, remains booked throughout (even if changed), I think the dining preference should stick.

If others disagree, I'm not sure I understand why.

Did I mention I'll be on a cruise on Sunday yet? :D :D :D

I did something similar as I said in a previous post. I had a quad inside room. and 2 months later I saved $500 by going into connecting promenade rooms. I got new booking #'s but my travel agent said if you are linked to someone with a particular seating it is not a problem.

What did your travel agent say?

Archived