QE2 August 10th 2006

KarenR_UK

Well, I finally booked - got my self a 'cupboard' down on deck 5 (someone elses description which seems to have stuck - I would usually use the 'S' word - but dont want to upset anyone:) ) - as its only me it shouldn't be too bad (do the upper bunks go up at all when only occupied by one?)

Any one else going?

I have been looking at the clothes I will need - In the brochure it says that formals will be sea days - except (I think) the last (I make that 6 then) - casual will be sailings after 6, and informal those before 6. BUT we have 2 sailings at 6, so should I expect these to be informal or casual?

So is it 6 formal, 6 informal, 1 casual, or 6 formal, 4 informal and 3 casual, or some other combination altogether?

I.e. do I need to shop (much;) ) more - or will last years collection do :D

TIA

Karen

Hello, suggest you try ringing Cunard. However, having rung them twice and been given two different answers (on our 12 day Med cruise, QM2, 4 formal, 2 (or 1??) semi-formal and 6 (or 7??) casual) be a little sceptical. The good news is that this means you now have to shop to cover every eventuality.

Enjoy, Mary

Hi Karen, both myself and my girlfriend (hopefully soon to be fiance, see another thread) are on this one too. The last time we where on the QE2 (in 2004) we were on Deck 5, some of them aren't that bad (more like walk in wardrobes than cupboards :) ) Only Kidding!! We had an outside cabin, sorry can't remember the number, and the view from the porthole was great, as well as being able to fit the pair of us in quite comfortabley.! As I remember, one deck 5 cabin I saw had three beds, one a bunk, which definitely went up so that the configuration was just the two single beds. As far as the formal/informal/casual, well, on that trip the brochere mentioned the split being something similar.

However, there were NO casual nights during the trip. All formal/informal depending upon whether they where sea days. I would say continue the shopping!! (It can be good fun!);) . Is this your first trip on the QE2 or are you a seasoned veteran (in the nicest possible way of course)? Just let me know if you require any other info about cupboards or wardrobes (I sound like I work at B&Q don't I)! If I can help out I certainly will.

Well, I finally booked - got my self a 'cupboard' down on deck 5 (someone else's description which seems to have stuck - I would usually use the 'S' word - but don't want to upset anyone:) ) - as its only me it shouldn't be too bad

An MI? I've been in quite a few in the past (even some on 5 deck:eek: ) and they're not small. OK you won't have a walk in wardrobe, a bath, lots of window space, etc, but you'll find it comfortable enough - you'll find that you don't spend that much time in your cabin when you're not sleeping.

So is it 6 formal, 6 informal, 1 casual, or 6 formal, 4 informal and 3 casual, or some other combination altogether?

I would think that it'd be formal for your days at sea (except the last); informal on all the other days except for one which will be casual (that could be your day in Sardinia but I'm not sure). So that's 6 formal, 7 informal and 1 casual.

I wouldn't worry too much about the difference between informal and casual (if there is a difference) - you won't feel out of place if you're dressed better than the average passenger. Do you have anything that would do as either formal or informal? If you can pack a couple of outfits that will be either dressy informal or casual formal they'll do if the breakdown of nights isn't exactly what you expect.

In my experience and as I understand the guidelines sailings at 6pm imply a informal night.

On my last QE2 cruise there was one late sailing and thus one casual night but almost everyone nevertheless wore jacket and tie respectively something dressy as lady.

Hi Karen, both myself and my girlfriend (hopefully soon to be fiance, see another thread) are on this one too.

Perhaps we will meet! I am looking forward to it - I thought I wasn't going to get a cruise this year due to insurance issues - but as soon as that was cleared up I booked.

Is this your first trip on the QE2 or are you a seasoned veteran (in the nicest possible way of course)? Just let me know if you require any other info about cupboards or wardrobes (I sound like I work at B&Q don't I)! If I can help out I certainly will.

Its my first trip on QE2, but not Cunard - my first ever cruise a whole 4 years ago was on Caronia. The famous single seating for all put me off QE2 (& QM2) for a while as I did not like the sound of the '2 class experience' with the 2 seating dinner :)

Since then however I have been on P+O with 2 seating dinner found its not all that bad and have 'modified' my view somewhat, so when P+O were all 100% single supplement & QE2 came up cheaper, I decided to give it a go:D

No doubt I will have more QE2 questions in the next 4 weeks!

Karen

An MI?

No an M6 - they had run out of single rooms so I have the cheapest double

I wouldn't worry too much about the difference between informal and casual (if there is a difference) - you won't feel out of place if you're dressed better than the average passenger. Do you have anything that would do as either formal or informal? If you can pack a couple of outfits that will be either dressy informal or casual formal they'll do if the breakdown of nights isn't exactly what you expect.

I seem to have 3 dress codes - formal sometimes tending towards informal, informal/smart C and Smart C last and first night.

My concern is some of my informal outfits tend too much towards the Smart Casual. Finding more could be a problem - I had a quick look saturday (when I was dealing with t-shirts and deckwear!) and there was not a lot I liked (that would fit :) ) Ah well have 3 or 4 more weekends to try!

Thanks

Karen

In my experience and as I understand the guidelines sailings at 6pm imply a informal night.

On my last QE2 cruise there was one late sailing and thus one casual night but almost everyone nevertheless wore jacket and tie respectively something dressy as lady.

Even my casual tends to include 'sparkly' but with 'plain' but smart trousers (smarter version of the ones I wear to work:D )

Thanks

Karen

No an M6

I've only ever seen one M6 - cabin 2103 (although the brochure shows it as an MI it definitely had bunk beds). It would be small for two people but would be quite manageable for just one:)

I seem to have 3 dress codes

Try and cut it down to just two options - formal and informal. It would be difficult to be overdressed on a formal night. For a woman the same thing applies on an informal night (just think pearls instead of diamonds!).

My concern is some of my informal outfits tend too much to wards the Smart Casual.

If you remember that jeans and T shirts are not normally suitable attire for dinner and that the accessories can make a very informal outfit look formal (especially in the Med in summer) you won't go far wrong.

If your latest sailing will be at 6 pm all days will be either formal or informal. There is no casual on the first and last night - that's (I understand) a Scary Mary thing.

As has been said you can't overdress for formal. Smart lounge suit for informal is what I wear, but you can get away with a little less. I'd wore a blazer on the one and only casual night I've had on the QE2 - which was an overnight in Quebec.

Perhaps we will meet! I am looking forward to it - I thought I wasn't going to get a cruise this year due to insurance issues - but as soon as that was cleared up I booked.

Karen

Hi Karen, would be great to meet up!! We will have to arrange a time and place over the next couple of weeks, not long off now :) !! If you're into sparkly-sparkly things then I'm sure you'll get on well with my girlfriend! I'm sure she'd have one of those disco sparkly ball things with her if she could get away with it.

Have you seen a guy in "white tie" (ie tails) I never have, has anyone (recently)?

Well, since you specified "guy", and I do not subscribe to the "guy" nomenclature, I will not answer in the absolute affirmative.

But on the 3 January Panama cruise I did wear White tails. I had sewed a marvelous large pink sequined flamingo (by hand, in my cabin on a previous cruise-ouch! sore fingers) on the back. My tails are getting a bit worn, and the sleeves are a little tight on me, so I will be getting a new jacket (finances permitting) soon. Maybe for the 2 Sept Labor Day.

But I am pretty sure I remember seeing gents in tails- And I do also remember seeing gents in morning coat.

Maybe not this last time, although I could not be certain.

Karie,

who looks, Oh, so elegant in white tails.

Now if I only had a pink carnation, I could do the "White sport coat and a pink carnation"...or something.

Have you seen a guy in "white tie" (ie tails) I never have, has anyone (recently)?

I don't think that I've ever seen a man on board wearing white tie and tails - If I have then it's not recently. However KarenR_UK does not sound like a man and as Karie says a lady is fine in tails:)

Hi Karen

I will be getting chucked off as you are getting on!

If I see anything that may affect your wardrobe dilemmas the week before I will send you a priority message, having been on her before we saw some fascinating style disasters, in fact there is a certain table in the chart room where you can sit and watch them all making their grand entrance for dinner, you get to see them from about half the length of the ship so you can recover a straight face before they get to you, incidently the only step on a corridor on the ship is there too, and it is great fun watching everyone fall down it, especially one guy on a mobility cart who had got quite a bit of speed up before making his dramatic jump before our eyes! that one was difficult to hide our reaction, sorry to that man (it was funny though, and he was not hurt). so do watch that step karen, it does have lots of signs and things warning you but noone ever seems to notice them.

Enjoy your cruise

Mark x

Hi Cunard Fan

Hi Karen, would be great to meet up!! We will have to arrange a time and place over the next couple of weeks, not long off now :) !! If you're into sparkly-sparkly things then I'm sure you'll get on well with my girlfriend! I'm sure she'd have one of those disco sparkly ball things with her if she could get away with it.

Yes, it would be good to meet up - we have plenty of sea days to choose from! (Until I get the shore excursions booklet (see http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=7146775&posted=1#post7146775) can't say yet when I am likely to be free on port days, LOL.

Karen

Hi Mark

incidently the only step on a corridor on the ship is there too, and it is great fun watching everyone fall down it, especially one guy on a mobility cart who had got quite a bit of speed up before making his dramatic jump before our eyes! that one was difficult to hide our reaction, sorry to that man (it was funny though, and he was not hurt). so do watch that step karen, it does have lots of signs and things warning you but noone ever seems to notice them.

That'll be me then, after my 1/2 bottle of wine for dinner - either falling up or down - just get the cameras ready everyone!

Karen

Started making the lists yesterday (last time I wrote the list on the PC it was a 7 day one so lots of changes!) and raiding the wardrobes

Found 5 formal outfits (a repeat of at least one dress with different jewellery is usual for me anyway - last time cos I had just bought the new jewellery and wanted to show it off, usually cos the 'last' dress no longer fits!) and about 20 informal/smartcasual outfits (but not all quite as formal as I would like LOL)

Looks like I will need a new suitcase at this rate (not to mention the new wardrobe to store it all in!)

Looks like a shopping day on Saturday:D

My new camera just arrived so off to play now

Karen

As will I icon10.gif

Hi Annette

I noticed on another board that you will be on the same cruise, except you are doing the one before us too, you lucky thing.

I dare say we will see each other in the commodore lounge at some point

hopefully the chucking off will not be as uncerimonious as on my last couple of non cunard cruises, we will probably amble off with our cases as we can drive home from southampton.

Ciao

Hi Annette

I noticed on another board that you will be on the same cruise, except you are doing the one before us too, you lucky thing.

I dare say we will see each other in the commodore lounge at some point

hopefully the chucking off will not be as uncerimonious as on my last couple of non cunard cruises, we will probably amble off with our cases as we can drive home from southampton.

Ciao

The Norway one was my choice, I really wanted to visit Norway and I understand a cruise is the cheapest way to do so! We originally thought about the 10th August Med cruise, but then I came up with the idea that we do both the Norway one for me, then the Summer Getaway for my husband, who likes the weather hotter. Our 14 year old will just have to be happy with whatever :p

I'm not sure I know where the Commodore Lounge is, having only been on a 3 night taster I'm looking forward to having more time to explore the ship this time round.

It would be fun to meet up though all the same :)

The Norway one was my choice, I really wanted to visit Norway and I understand a cruise is the cheapest way to do so! We originally thought about the 10th August Med cruise, but then I came up with the idea that we do both the Norway one for me, then the Summer Getaway for my husband, who likes the weather hotter. Our 14 year old will just have to be happy with whatever :p

I'm not sure I know where the Commodore Lounge is, having only been on a 3 night taster I'm looking forward to having more time to explore the ship this time round.

Hi

The commodore is the one at the front with the massive model of the ship behind the bar, they are fine about the kids too, my niece loved it and they made a big fuss of her, Paul made her special non alcoholic drinks that looked as good as ours, she felt really special, she is only 10 and not been in a cocktail lounge before, i'm sure your daughter will love it too.

Mark

oops just re-read your message and you did not say whether your 14 was a girl or a boy, sorry for assuming they were a girl on last reply. I did norway last year, very nice, I hope you get better weather, it rained all day and we went to see the ski slope, stood next to it and couldn't see ANYTHING, the fog was so thick we couldn't see our own arms, it was quite funny. The park with the statues is fabulous, we didn't have long there but it is well worth a visit.

You were right to assume that our daughter is a girl :)

Well, I thought I had worked my way around the whole ship, but since I don't recall being in a bar at the front with a ship behind it, I think I may have missed that one.

Let us know when you're likely to be sat in there and I will try and pop along.

Oops, I think we've hijacked someone's thread here - maybe we should make one of our own, just in case others may be on this cruise?

Archived