hat etiquette for women

bonbon663

Ok, I wear baseball caps A LOT!!! Is it considered bad form to leave it on at breakfast or lunch if I'm inside eating? Should I take any type of hat off when I'm indoors, or does that just apply to men?

Thanks in advance

event.png

This is just my opinion ...

I would not wear a visor, hat or cap, baseball or otherwise, in the dining room of the ship. If I had been out in the sun and was all sweaty and icky, I might leave it on in the Windjammer - but never in the dining room.

I do wear ladies' cut ball caps around home, and I know they can cover up a multitude of hair sins, especially on a hot day, but in my mind they don't seem appropriate in a dining establishment.

The hat etiquett informations that I've looked at seems to be as follows.

If a had is a unisex style then the same rules apply to women as men.

If it is a decidedly feminie style then it is OK to follow the traditional women's rules.

And finally, ther its the Hat Head factor.... if your hat head is more of a goof than the hat, then leave the hat on.

On a recent cruise, the "infamous" Red Hat ladies were having a convention. They wore their hats 24/7 and it seemed totally appropriate.

With that said, I'd say if a hat is part of your outfit then it would be fine; however, if you stick a hat on your head to cover up your hair then it would not be appropriate in the dinning room.

I've solved my hat head problem!! I bought a wig!! This is going WAY outside my comfort zone, but I thought, what the heck! I'd rather have people looking at me admiring my beautiful albeit fake hair, then looking at my stuck to my head hat hair.

Whether I really get the nerve to wear it on the ship, that remains to be seen.

On a recent cruise, the "infamous" Red Hat ladies were having a convention. They wore their hats 24/7 and it seemed totally appropriate.

With that said, I'd say if a hat is part of your outfit then it would be fine; however, if you stick a hat on your head to cover up your hair then it would not be appropriate in the dinning room.

We had the red hat ladies too. I never saw so much red and purple before in my life!

We had the red hat ladies too. I never saw so much red and purple before in my life!

Oh, my gosh...no kidding! Nice ladies, I'm sure and nothing at all against them, but they were a little overwhelming! IMO, the red/purple could be toned down a bit. I do think they had a great time on their cruise, though!

As far as the OP's question, I would have to say, if you're just eating at the buffet, I don't think that's a big deal, but if you are eating in the dining room, no hats or visors. Most of the time, if we ate at the Buffet or the Grill, we just got our food and took it out on the Lido deck and ate at the tables around the pool.

I grew up (as a child) when all ladies wore hats - it was part of your outfit. Hats for ladies were allowed to be worn indoors while men were required to remove theirs. Even the rules for the American flag and singing of the national anthem requires only men to remove their hats.

I was taught that the only time a lady should remove her hat is when it blocks someone's view - like in the movies.

Ok, I wear baseball caps A LOT!!! Is it considered bad form to leave it on at breakfast or lunch if I'm inside eating? Should I take any type of hat off when I'm indoors, or does that just apply to men?

Thanks in advance

event.png

;) I think I would take it off while eating inside...however pool or barside your aok !!!

Archived