Anybody cruise with a baby?

browniegirl

All I can tell you is that on my family's first cruise, my sister brought her young child, less than a year old, and it went fine. As far as specific tips, sorry, I'm of little help, but if you're worried at all, I wouldn't be.

Hi,

I am cruising on NCL Dawn July 22 with my 7 year old and 16 mo old. So far the best tip I got was to bring a small inflatable pool or bath tub to use by the pool. From what I have heard NCL is very strict re: babies in diapers in the pools and will NOT let you take your child in even if earing swimmie. I also saw someone recommend an over the door shoe organizer for drying bottles.

Hope some of this helps.

Hi there, we are on a cruise next Jan 28th on the Jewel and are taking out then to be 10 month old baby! Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

Brownie girl

Do you have a Baby Bjorn or something like that? A definite must...better than a stroller, IMO...

smilk16 is right about the pool (she and I exchanged posts about this)...we did that last year on our cruise and it was great! In fact, we found the water in the pool to be kind of chilly for a kid anyway so putting water in a blow-up pool works well also because it warmed up quicker since it was super-shallow (like two inches...LOL).

The refrigerators are packed so if you know you will not use some of the soda, liquor, beer, etc. stocked in it, ask your butler/steward to remove some of the items so you have room to store formula, milk, jarred food, etc.

Also double-check to see if there is a "family room" on the Jewel...the Dawn has a room dedicated to little ones under 2 and you and the baby can play with the zillion toys the ship stocks the room with...this is good so that you do not feel obligated to pack every favorite toy...and we know babies have more than one favorite toy ;)

Finally, have a super time!

We're bringing our 18-month-old son with us on the Spirit July 22nd. Here's a list of things we are bringing (some at the pediatrician's recommendation):

-Band-aids, neosporin, pyrozide, gauze pads

-Children's Tylenol (you could bring the infant drops)

-Pedialyte just in case (a 4-pack of the small bottles)

-10 pairs of pajamas (it's an 8-night cruise)

-2 formal outfits

-6 pairs of regular pants for dinner

-12 button down shirts for dinner (extras just in case)

-11 pairs of shorts

-12 shirts (casual for during the day)

-2 Pack 'n' Play crib sheets (don't know what they wash theirs in and his skin is sensitive)

-Umbrella Stroller

-80 diapers (he uses 5-7 daily so we are doubling)

-A full tub of wipes plus one refill plus one full travel-size case

-Travel Carseat (Tote 'n' Go by Safety First)

-12 pairs of socks

-Sneakers, sandals, dress shoes (one pair of each)

-6 sippy cups (or bottles)

-Travel-size dishwashing liquid

-Sponge to wash bottles/bottle brush

-Drying rack for bottles (you could also lay out a towel, which we will probably do)

-5-6 of his favorite toys to play with (to occupy him in the dining room if necessary, and for the cabin)

-a few storybooks for bedtime

-Gerber Graduates Fruit Puffs (2 containers) and his travel snack cup (for when we are ashore and he needs anquick snack)

-Sunblock

-Desitin, A & D Ointment

-Hats (for the sun)

-Baby shampoo

There are probably other things I forgot to list here. Yes, there is a lot of stuff to bring for a baby. The good thing is that their clothing is so tiny that it fits into an overnight bag with most of the toiletries! We are carrying on the diapers (80 fit into the large Graco diaper bag we have), and checking his overnight bag. I just get so nervous with the diapers. We are also bringing his small diaper bag to bring with us around the ship and ashore. I will probably stick the wipes refills into that along with a few more extra diapers. You will enjoy your cruise! This is my first one bringing the baby, but my sister has brought her kids on a few cruises and has experience bringing babies from 6 months old and up. Her oldest is now 5. I was on 2 of those cruises with her, so I saw how it was, and it was great! She said she loves cruising with her kids, and I am sure you and I will also love it!

Enjoy!

-Bonnie

we brought our 2 month old on the jewel in march and he is going again when he is almost 9 months next month on the jewel in europe...

we dried his bottles on a towel (upside down) and that worked great.

on the jewel, and some of the other ships there is a laundry if you run out of clean clothes for the baby and/or need to clean some smelly stuff

on the jewel, also in case you run out, they sell diapers, wipes and other essentials

for europe, we are carrying on the plane all his food and diapers just in case the bags go missing on the ship or we get them very late

finally, make sure there is a covered space if you take them outside (i.e. those sun shades for infants they sell) - we were in the courtyard villa which was great because there are covered beds there.

if you have any questions - please let me know. we actually had a wonderful and relaxing trip with our newborn and hope we can repeat that next month (though we are bringing the grandparents as reinforcements this time!)

Wow, you guys are awesome!!!! Thank you so much for all of the wonderful ideas and lists and the pool idea just has me grinning from ear to ear because I was so worried about that!!!!!! Oh I am so tickled with all of your suggestions, I can't wait to go!!!! Thanks sooooooooo much again! If you have any further suggestions, my email is leahandbrian@shaw.ca, thanks again!!!!

Leah

• 4 weeks later...

Going on the Sprit in Sept myself....first time with my TWIN 16 month olds! I am nervous about this with two babies on a cuise. My wife and I have cruised three times before (in fact, out last cruise on the Carnival 'Miracle' is what 'caused' the twins in the first place *wink*)

When we went on the Disney Cruise last year, our grandkid was only a year old, and basically stayed with my daughter-in-law most of the time. But the Flounder Nursery was a blessing, as she could drop the baby off there for a few hours. That gave Mitzi a good break.

We took our son last year when he was 6 months.... this year we're going with our two sons who will be 18 mo and 3 mo. We booked a suite for the extra room (for the stroller, pack n play, etc) I would definitely recommend doing that for the extra room! Oh, and get the early seating for dinner! Last time we had the late seating and our son was tired. This time we got the early seating which is way before his bed time!

the last cruise i saw a young woman boarding the ship with 8 month old twins!

God LOVE HER !! I never saw her after that-always wondered how it went.

The idea of a small inflatable pool is a great one. Speedo sells agreat baby pool cap-to prevent sunburn

Have a lovely cruise

Nadine

Just returned from 7 night cruise with our 18month old and other 6 children. I'd recommend the Sit and Stroll carseat/stroller combo especially if you are flying. I purchased a travel vest ( and the better one at that) for my 3yo and we all hated that thing. No problems getting the sit and stroll on planes, busses, rental cars, diningroom chairs etc as needed. I couldnt imagine putting the 18month old in the travel vest. The cheaper one doesnt buckle in tightly no matter how hard you try. The more pricey one was too big for even my meaty sized 3yo. She was very uncomfy and upset whichis very unlike her. You can see the sit and stroll as well as the better quality travel vest ( totally different design than the one you can buy in stores) at elitecarseats.com I can guarantee you wont regret the sit and stroll though ! Items we brought and used alot were the little blue bags to dispose of diapers and pullups ( you dont want to share a fanless bathroom with even the stinkless of diapers overnight). Its also kinder to your cabin attendant. Also disposable bibs and those huggies washclothes that you just have to add water to.

I was wondering what you can do all day with the children when they are young like that? I am asking because we are booked on the Mariner of the Seas for December and we have just aquired 3 little ones...2 yr 11 mo and 9 mo when we sail. This trip is MY familys gift so I dont want to change that, and my own dd are 13 and 17. Hopefully we will be adopting the 2 younger children and we want to take them as well.

Carnival does have a program that the 2 yr old can go to and RC does not. So my question is can anyone give me ideas as to what you can do all day with the little ones? I didnt want to switch ships if the Mariner of the Sea would work for my 2 yr old.

Please dont tell me not to take them or to stay home....I cant do that to my family. The children are not hellions, they are well behaved and happy. Its a shame the rough start to their little lives they have been given :(

Those of you posting about taking the little little ones...can you offer me suggestions and tips? PLEASE. You have already given some good ones, and I am wondering where I can pick up a small inflatable pool this time of year. My local Kmart/Walmarts dont have them anymore. Any ideas? And when you bring the pool how do you go about using on the deck. We have 2 ocean view rooms connecting.

Thanks a bunch!

Stacy

Those of you posting about taking the little little ones...can you offer me suggestions and tips? PLEASE. You have already given some good ones, and I am wondering where I can pick up a small inflatable pool this time of year. My local Kmart/Walmarts dont have them anymore. Any ideas? And when you bring the pool how do you go about using on the deck. We have 2 ocean view rooms connecting.

Thanks a bunch!

Stacy

What about google.com- type in small inflatable pools,you will be able to order one on line i am sure. Just fill a little water in the pool, on your deck.Or take it to a quiet spot on the outside of the ship and put it there.

Good luck

Nadine

Stacy -

The toy stores should still be getting rid of their summer stuff - if not, the internet is a good suggestion from a previous poster. You can either use the ice bucket from your room, or tip the bartender to borrow one (or a pitcher) - you don't need much water for the kids to enjoy a little splashing around.

Nadine - Were you on the Sapphire? I took my year-old twins in February, and we had so much fun, we're going again in Sept. Don't be worried about how to spend the days Stacy, they fly by. My girls loved listening and dancing to the music on deck, and after dinner we would go to the disco before it opened, where the music would be playing and they would run or crawl around the dance floor and chase the lights from the disco ball - great way to run out there energy before bed time. They might also consider a portable dvd player for the cabin for quiet/nap times or when they're getting ready for dinner.

Knighthawke - I took my twins on my own (I'm a widow), and it went great, so I'm sure your family will have an amazing time. In fact, there were two other sets of twin toddlers on board.

Best to all,

Mia

Having cruised twice with a 10 month old (two sons, just happened to go when they were each 10 months) I can say the best advice I can give you is get disposable everything! They even make disposable bottles now, if you use Avent. You can throw the whole bottle away and not have to wash it. Unfortunately you still have to wash the nipple and collar and the adaptor. But it is also easier to pack them, they stack into each other. Also, if you use sippy cups, the take and toss are good too. They also make utensils. The other posters have given great advice too!

Stacy -

The toy stores should still be getting rid of their summer stuff - if not' date=' the internet is a good suggestion from a previous poster. You can either use the ice bucket from your room, or tip the bartender to borrow one (or a pitcher) - you don't need much water for the kids to enjoy a little splashing around.

Nadine - Were you on the Sapphire? I took my year-old twins in February, and we had so much fun, we're going again in Sept. Don't be worried about how to spend the days Stacy, they fly by. My girls loved listening and dancing to the music on deck, and after dinner we would go to the disco before it opened, where the music would be playing and they would run or crawl around the dance floor and chase the lights from the disco ball - great way to run out there energy before bed time. They might also consider a portable dvd player for the cabin for quiet/nap times or when they're getting ready for dinner.

Knighthawke - I took my twins on my own (I'm a widow), and it went great, so I'm sure your family will have an amazing time. In fact, there were two other sets of twin toddlers on board.

Best to all,

Mia[/quote']

No, i was on Celebrity. I am so sorry that you lost your husband. Please accept my sympathy.

sounds like you had a great time with your litle ones. Enjoy your Sept cruise

Nadine

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions. Did you take them to the shows also? How about dinner? I certainly am not a rude person and would never let them scream and carry on while others are watching a show or eating dinner. If that happened I would take them out of the dining room.

I must admit tho, they are good little ones. I got lucky :)

As for the pool....I didnt know how to fill it or how they woudl feel if I carried it out on the deck near the pool. On the Victory in December I didnt see any thing like that, of course I really didnt know to look for it.

Does anyone know what Camp Carnival does with the 2 yr olds in the camp? I know they can go there potty trained or not if they are 2, RC is 3 and potty trained....but I was wondering what they do there with them or is is basically a 'free for all' kind of day and they just roam around in that room. I have never used the camps before.

You guys are GREAT! Thanks for the help and not biting my head off about this topic.

Stacy

The tips are great...we are leaving on 9/3 to Alaska on Celebrity and I will have my 15 month old son w/ me. I can't tell you how much we need to bring with us for him but I think the more prepared we are, the easier it will be for us.

I think it will be too cold for the inflatable pool but are there public spaces where we can sit and lounge and play with our son? He is well-behaved - no tantrums, no bouts of crying so we won't want to stay in our room the whole time - tips?

Is this off topic but is there whole milk on cruise ships? Also, will they steam carrots and veggies for him if we ask? He eats most of what we eat but I know we will be eating "bad" things on the cruise! :D

Thanks!

Lucy

Stacy - As for dining, I was on Princess, which I didn't expect to be very "baby-friendly", so, since the twins were always going to be with me, I planned to eat at the buffet for all my meals. The very first night, one of the head waiters came up to me and when he heard my plan, he insisted that I sit in the dining room for all my meals so that I could be served. It turned out wonderfully - our places would be set when we arrived with high chairs and it was glorious to have someone waiting on me (and actually much easier than dealing with juggling the buffet and babies). I was also very sensitive about the babies not bothering anyone, so I asked to be near the exit for a quick getaway, but only needed it once when one was a little fussy. We ended up using the dining room for all our meals - breakfast, lunch and dinner - because it was much easier there than anywhere else. I brought a bunch of those toys that can clip onto a high chair so the girls could amuse themselves - though they got so much attention from staff and passengers that we hardly had a moment to ourselves.

I'm not a show person, so we never did that, but I know a lot of the parents just brought their sleeping children in strollers.

You've gotten some great advice - I forgot about bringing disposables. I used disposable bibs, which was great.

Also, for diapers, I just taped a luggage tag to a box of diapers, but you will also be surprise how many will fit into the pockets of luggage. Just make sure you bring more than enough so you're not spending port time searching for them.

I don't know if you're flying to your ship or not, but since I drove, I also brought our bouncie chairs (also just taped luggage tags on those and checked them with the rest of our luggage). They napped and watched tv in them. I also brought a bunch of inexpensive little toys for the cabin. A ship is actually a very safe place for babies since there are no sharp edges on any of the furniture!

Have fun!

Best,

Mia

My local Kmart/Walmarts dont have them anymore. Any ideas?

I just found that out - I'm so mad about that because we were looking to get a baby beach tent and all the summer stuff is GONE! HELLO it's still SUMMER! Geez. There was Halloween stuff all over the place at HomeGoods and someone said that Macy's already has CHRISTMAS out!

Anyway I would suggest looking on ebay for baby pools, etc. Look for ones with reasonable shipping.

I was wondering what you can do all day with the children when they are young like that? I am asking because we are booked on the Mariner of the Seas for December and we have just aquired 3 little ones...2 yr 11 mo and 9 mo when we sail. This trip is MY familys gift so I dont want to change that, and my own dd are 13 and 17. Hopefully we will be adopting the 2 younger children and we want to take them as well.

Carnival does have a program that the 2 yr old can go to and RC does not. So my question is can anyone give me ideas as to what you can do all day with the little ones? I didnt want to switch ships if the Mariner of the Sea would work for my 2 yr old.

Please dont tell me not to take them or to stay home....I cant do that to my family. The children are not hellions, they are well behaved and happy. Its a shame the rough start to their little lives they have been given :(

Thanks a bunch!

Stacy

We got ours at the local dollar store for $3.00. It was just the right size

for our 18 mo granddaughter.

Enjoy your cruise!!:)

I was lucky, they were just clearing out all the baby pools when I got mine, I actually bought 2.... tee hee... one has a sunshade on top but my DH almost stroked out when I told him he'd have to blow it up..... tee hee..... so I bought another one without the shade and easier to blow up..... men! Have a fantastic cruise!

Leah

Archived