What medication do you take to relieve flight anxiety?

Ocruise

Hi all. As you know, i'm flying tomorrow. My ear still hurts & i'm anxious about flying with that, but I get very panicy when I fly even in general. Just thinking about being so high up there frightens me.

Last year when we flew home from our Paradise Miami cruise to NY, I took 1 pill called "aloprazam" (my doctor prescribed it for me when I told him I need something when I fly. I know the name sounds wierd, it was the generic version on something.) Well, 1 pill did nothing, I was tight as a drum with nervousness my whole flight. The directions said to take 1 to 3, but I only took one since I had never taken a tranquilizer before.

This year, I got 2 different prescriptions for my flying anxiety and I was wondering if anyone takes them and how much. I don't want the same thing to happen last year when 1 pill did nothing to calm my nerves.

The 1st one is "Diazepam 5mg" (it says substituted for valium), it says take 1 tablet every day as needed.

The other is "Lorazepam" 1 mg. It says take 1 tablet every 6 hours needed for anxiety panic attack / no more than 5 tabs daily.

If anyone has tried either of these, let me know what you think. I feel so silly to be posting this, my rational mind knows that flying is much, much safer than driving. It's just that for no reason, when I was in my 20's I got terrified of flying. I love to travel, so it's something I need to get past.

Thanks for any advice,

Marina

Valium I have tried but it takes more than 1 to get on that plane. Xanax worked the best for me - and I am a terrible flyer. Usually just puts me to sleep. Good luck - just keep thinking "soon I will be cruising".

When we flew home from Vegas in March, I took a severe asthma attack. Since I was flying again in May, I was nervous about getting on a plane. My doctor prescribed ativan (lorazepam) .5 mg. I took one pill (underneath my tongue) about an hour before the flight and it totally relaxed me. In fact it pretty well put me to sleep.

Good luck on your flight

Toni

Take a valium 2 hours before flight, take 1/2 of the ativan 30 minutes before flight (regular way with water) if you are still in panic mode (which I doubt you will be) and need fast help, put the other 1/2 of the ativan under the tongue once you board.

Geez, don't you guys know how to mix drugs? LOL!!!

(Of course if it was me, I'd have a glass of wine, but that's because I know my tolerence, wouldn't recommend it to anyone else!)

My goodness, all I see is people suggesting that you take some drug...please, please, relax, flying is a whole lot safer than any other method of transportation. I don't recommend drugs, they can be addicting and also cause numerous side effects and please, if you every choose to take drugs don't mix with alcohol. The best advice is to relax and trust your flight crew, believe me, no one wants an accident to happen, just as you are concerned about safety, so are your flight crew members. The media has instilled so much fear into people's minds that it is out of control. I realize that there are people whose fear of flying sometimes hinder their lifestyles and restricts their ability to enjoy life more...please don't become a victim of such. There are many books and self-help options available. One of my favorites is a book written by an airline captain titled "This is your captain speaking." This book was written specifically for people who suffer from anxiety before and during their flight. The Captain who wrote this (his name is Ray Stark) works for Southwest Airlines and knows first hand about passengers who suffer from fear disorders when they fly. So relax, get this book or any other publication that will help you overcome this unnecessary fear and enjoy life and flying more!!

P.S. I am not an authority on this subject, I am just married to an airline captain and have been involved in aviation for over 26 years.

Good luck!

Espi

Mesa, Arizona

The 'drugs' are doctor prescribed and as she's flying in the am I doubt she has time to 'cure' herself in the next 8 hours. I don't think taking medication for her condition the few times a year she flies will lead to addiction. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be comfortable and not angst ridden during her flight

and the choice of how that state is obtained is a personal matter between her and her physician. Please don't make her feel guilty on top of every thing else.

No one, and I mean, no one is making anyone feel 'guilty' about anything. Your misinterpretation is grossly out of context. First of all, the message was not intended for you. Secondly, anyone with a bit of intelligence understands that indeed drugs are prescribed by medical professionals. Thirdly, any intelligent mind knows that drugs modify behavior and physical conditions. Flying and drugs do not mix, not for passengers nor for crewmembers, not for anyone, any medical professional knows that. In the event--God forbid--there is an immediate aircraft evacuation, how do you suppose a person who is heavy on Valium, Xanax or any other drug of this nature will function? Do you really think that the other passengers are going to take responsibility for someone who is overcome by alcohol and drugs...NO. For this reason and for numerous other medical reasons, it is best to be alert and cognizant, whether you are flying, driving or engaged in any other activity. Our society is unfortunately plagued by the constant availability of behavior modifying drugs, making life seem "easier" and more tolerable for those who suffer from psychological/behavioral disorders. Has it ever occurred to you that disorders can and have been conquered by alternative methods? You see, those of us who are closely connected with the aviation and medical fields are well aware of the situation originally posted on this thread. I certainly understand that person's dilemma and I hope that she/he will find more meaning in her life by overcoming her fears completely in the healthiest possible manner, rather than by a temporary chemical approach.

You might need more than one Valium since they're only 5 mg strength. I usually take 10 mgs and I'm not out of it or drugged, just relaxed enough to doze off a little bit.

Stephanie

ocruise

I used faint on flights when hyperventilating due to anxiety attacks. I tried every kind of tranquillizer and none seem to hekp. Finally my doctor prescribed Xanax and VOILA! At last I can travel witrhout anxiety! I no longer await any bump along the way. It goes without saying that one would not miz alcohol with Xanax.

Good Luck!!

I really don't think that telling occruise that she shouldn't be drugged in case of emergency evacuation really helped matters any. The whole thing is she has anxiety about flying - so IMHO, there is no problem with taking something that is DOCTOR PRESCRIBED for an occasional flight. I highly doubt that she will become an addict from it.

As to your point about an emergency evacuation - I understand what you are saying completely - I thought about the same thing the last time I flew - which was just last Sun. returning from our Alaska cruise. We live on the east coast (long flight). I have severe nerve damage to my lower back from a spinal fusion 3 years ago and I'm on a mixture of Dr. prescribed medications. Well, as I'm taking the medication which will enable the nerves in my back to relax (which also make me very sleepy) so that I can sit like a sardine for 4 1/2 hours on one flight and 2 hrs. on the second - I did think about the fact that if the plane went down, I may not have all my wits about me. Being able to sit comfortably won out over the small chance that the plane may go down and I will need to have all my wits. I'm sure that the same applies to one who suffers from anxiety over flying. Now if she flew as a flight attendant and needed some little pill to help her relax, then I would say that she should seek professional help to work on behavior modification.

I think we just hit a 'sore' spot with 'someone'! LOL!

Soapbox city! Maybe she feels better now. :rolleyes:

I hope Ocruise had a great flight and is getting ready to board her ship about now! :D

Ocruise, Alprozam is the generic version of Xanax and it doesn't work for me either. I don't care how many pharmacists tell me that there is no differance, there is. I found that out the hard way. Our Eckards automatically fills the precriptions with the generic. Before every cruise I call my doctor and he prescribes the Xanax to cover all the flights. I have since learned to ask for the strongest dose, 10 and cut them into quarters. They are the same price as the lowest dose 2. I take a quarter of the pill while I'm getting ready and take another quarter as we reach the airport. When it's time to board, I'm relaxed and ready. I am not comatose, just relaxed enough not to get into a frenzy and make my husband miserable having to deal with me. If you are afraid of flying, you are afraid of flying period and no one is going to talk you out of it.

I did find a very helpful website by typing in "Fear of flying". Written by a pilot, it actually helped me to relax for a 9 hour flight (along with the Xanax). He had a book for sale but actually gave a crash course for people who were flying within a few days. I remember being invited into the cockpit many years ago (the good old days) as we were flying over Canada at sunrise. I wasn't even afraid of flying back then but the Captain said "We want to get home safely as much as anyone on this plane".

Have a good flight.

Sorry, I could not resist. And you were so serious in your answer. I could have used a whole bottle of medicines a few ywears ago. Flying from Yellowstone to Salt Lake City in a twin turboprop 15 passenger plane, we encountered a very severe thunderstorm, which spawned tornedos. Now that was an"E" ticket ride that I could have just as well not gone on. :rolleyes:

Bill

Bill, my board just went all out of wack. Yes I was serious when I wrote that because I thought maybe for once I could be helpful. I know the feeling all too well. We booked a cruise out of Boston. My husband even asked, drive or fly? Me being the brave one, Fly. When the time came I was just beside myself. I was lying on the couch with a blanket over my head. Funny thing, it only affects me on the flights to the destination, not coming home. I guess by that time I feel that I've subjected myself to all sorts of dangers and nothing can happen to me now. :p

Gee, let me guess. Frontier Airlines?????? Actually I was never afraid of flying until a flight from Atlanta where we encountered a major thunderstorm. One of the flight attendants threw up it was that rough. The plane finally started to decend and someone said, that's not our airport and sure enough the plane took off skyward back into the weather for another 15 minutes. The poor man across the aisle from me gave me his had to hold and he was bleeding by the time we landed. This obviously is not a proper post to this thread but Ocruise is happily on her ship by now so it shouldn't matter. I need to read dates before replying.

Hi, no that is a real step up in class and comfort. This is a little airline called SkyWest. It is really quite good. I think they are the only airlines that flies into West Yellowstone.

Archived