A couple of comments about RC

I’d like to start by saying that I cruise with both Carnival and Royal Caribbean and I enjoy them equally.

Just a small thing but something that’s always bugged me about RC is that somebody, usually the CD, always trashes Carnival at least once during the cruise. On one cruise it occurred way too often. Stuff like, “oh please don’t get me in trouble, I don’t want to have to go and work for Carnival” or “if you do that your next cruise will be on Carnival”. On my last RC cruise last week both the CD and a comedian made statements like this. All in good fun of course but why do it? If you believe you have a good product you shouldn’t need to trash the competition. RC seems to have the attitude that if you’re on one of their ships then you automatically are not a Carnival fan.

On all the Carnival cruises I’ve been on not one person has ever made a negative comment (joking or otherwise) about Royal Caribbean. They don’t need to. They believe they have a good product and I agree with them.

One other thing I’d like to mention is that I often read negative comments about unruly kids running around on Carnival ships. I just got off the Navigator and I have never seen so many kids running around uncontrolled. Don’t get me wrong, I have three kids of my own who cruise with me. On one occasion I was walking down the hall to my cabin with a cup of coffee and about 5 kids ran by. I had to flatten myself against the wall to avoid wearing my coffee.

Just a couple of small points that I thought were worth mentioning. I look forward to cruising with both companies in the future.

Stu.

Hi, Stu...

Well, I have only been on one cruise and that was on RC (next one in Fall) and the only time I heard a reference to Carnival was during one bingo session when there was a really loud noise off one side of the ship. When the caller came back, he said, "Don't worry, folks, we were just shooting off a cannon at a Carnival ship that was passing by." (or some words to that effect). The way he said it was really quite humorous and put us all at ease, although we never did find out what that noise was :eek:

I don't think making disparaging remarks about any cruise line is called for, but I think, I alot of times comments are made in the spirit of fun and just the competitive spirit.

Anyway, comments like that would never turn me off to trying any cruise line in the future. Happy cruising!;)

If you wanted to hear negative comments about other lines, look no further than our Celebrity Constellation repositioning cruise from Bayonne to SJU last November. There were several events for frequent cruisers held; as RCI platinum we got to attend. In every one of the get-togethers the Captain savaged RCI with really nasty comments, not the good-natured comments quoted here about RCI people knocking Carnival. And most of the audience ate it up (sniff sniff, nose in the air, sniff sniff). The one comment made by the Captain about Carnival had to do with banana boats.

Real nasty stuff. Funny comments about shooting cannons at a Carnival ship are just that, harmless jokes. What went on on the Connie was really un-called for nastiness, totally different tone.

Grenowoods, you are absolutely right. We get tired of all the Carnival bashing and wish it would stop. I guess it makes people feel superior if they can run something down. We cruise for the relaxation and enjoyment of it. We have never had a bad cruise, but attitude is important.

I'm going to make a wild guess here and say that maybe other lines make fun of RCCL. I honestly don't care as long as everyone makes fun of each other equally. :D

Seriously, now, the comedian made one joke about Carnival on the Navigator. But I'm going to take a wild guess that he changes the cruise line mentioned in the joke depending on what line he's performing on.

We were on a Crystal Cruise where the comedian kept talking about Carnival as being the "Walmart" of cruising (HUGE APPLAUSE), but also the mention of those paying over $15M on the current Crystal for the cruise, you got a $20 plastic travel bag as a booking award. Yep, I have one!

I'm going to make a wild guess here and say that maybe other lines make fun of RCCL. I honestly don't care as long as everyone makes fun of each other equally. :D

Seriously, now, the comedian made one joke about Carnival on the Navigator. But I'm going to take a wild guess that he changes the cruise line mentioned in the joke depending on what line he's performing on.

Remember that I said that not once have I heard a negative comment about RC on any of my 6 Carnival cruises. I think the Walmart reference is excellent.

A couple of years ago I showed my brother some pictures I had taken on a Carnival cruise - he couldn't understand why the pictures looked so good - he had assumed that Carnival ships were all run down.

Once again, please remember that I am not trying to put down RC - I love cruiseing with them.

Have a great weekend,

Stu.

It happens and I think it is unfortunate. It may be an easy way to get a cheap laugh but it is usually just that, cheap. But it happens on these boards as well. For some reason, there are people who believe that it proves their superiority to denigrate other people, cruiselines, political figures and parties. It is used against certain chain stores and restaurants and has become sort of a code to imply something low class or negative. The cheapest form of argument is an ad hominem attack, and basically these kinds of jokes and remarks are a form of that. :o

Remember that I said that not once have I heard a negative comment about RC on any of my 6 Carnival cruises. I think the Walmart reference is excellent.

Weird - I think it depends on what kind of staff you get. The above poster who has sailed RCI many times never heard this.

Regardless, who cares? They might be cheap jokes, but they're chep jokes on a cruise, which is all that matters! :D

Have a great weekend too!

It happens and I think it is unfortunate. It may be an easy way to get a cheap laugh but it is usually just that, cheap. But it happens on these boards as well. For some reason, there are people who believe that it proves their superiority to denigrate other people, cruiselines, political figures and parties. It is used against certain chain stores and restaurants and has become sort of a code to imply something low class or negative. The cheapest form of argument is an ad hominem attack, and basically these kinds of jokes and remarks are a form of that. :o

Bill, you are wise.

Stu.

Sorry...Have heard it many times on Carnival also..

Some that come to mind..."I see we are in port today with the RPITAs(said as rapeetas" Royal Pains in the Ass."

"Dont worry ladies and Gentlemen..."They are not Cuban refugees...Just Royal Caribbean Refugees"

"And one last note,please do not feed the beggers from the barge to our left"

And one remark from a Captain about a Rudder,a Rubberband and a whale that I never quite figured out:rolleyes:

Maybe by DW and I should start attending more of the evening entertainment. Sorry.......I have not heard a word about CCL.....good or bad.......on the trips that I have been on.. Are these competing trips in the Caribbean?...........or Alaska?

We all pick our cruise lines.........and some of us have made friends with certain lines an choose not to move. My brother has only cruised with Crystal, Windstar and Radisson. He would not think of cruising with X or RCCl, because of branding. Woa...........Windstar is part of Carnival!!

Me thinks that the original OP on this thread needs to look at what he said........because it is very hard for me to find anyone (save for the comedian......or and off the wall remark of the CD) to put down CCL.

Rick

Weird - I think it depends on what kind of staff you get. The above poster who has sailed RCI many times never heard this.

Regardless, who cares? They might be cheap jokes, but they're chep jokes on a cruise, which is all that matters! :D

Have a great weekend too!

Oh I completely agree, who cares. As one poster said, I let it go in one ear and out the other. It doesn't affect my cruise at all - as I said, it's a very small thing, I just thought I'd point it out.

However, it confuses me that I have been on four RC cruises and heard this stuff every time and somebody has been on twenty RC and heard nothing?

I really, really, really don't want this to get blown out of proportion - this is just a very small thing. I love RC and also Carnival.

Stu.

I was on my 1st cruise 6/30 on the Explorer and went to every show and heard 2-3 Carnival references ( 2 from the comedians and one from CD). It did make an impression for me to note & remember it. I took it as a humoruos rivalry but it really isn't necessary and could reflect negatively on RCCL.

I've never heard a reference to another cruiseline on any of my cruises - except from the passengers. Does that mean that it doesn't happen or that it is appropriate? No.

As to the rudder and the whale, I think that is a reference to an RCCL ship that a few years ago while coming into an Alaska port, ended up hitting a whale.

I think it goes on all the time on all the ships and other places. Whenever there are comedians they have to POKE fun at someone or something or else they would not get any laughs..whether they are talking about cruiselines,airlines,hotels etc.... it's all in fun...don't think it should be taken to heart...but if it bothers you maybe you should steer clear of RCI.

This attitude comes from the VERY early days of the cruise industry. For the complete story of the rivalry between Carnival and Royal, check out the book "Devils on the Deep Blue Sea". It's a very well written history, giving some rather interesting insights.

Joe

This attitude comes from the VERY early days of the cruise industry. For the complete story of the rivalry between Carnival and Royal, check out the book "Devils on the Deep Blue Sea". It's a very well written history, giving some rather interesting insights.

Joe

Thanks Joe - that sounds like a fascinating read. I just ordered it from Amazon.

Stu.

Joe

I too ordered the book and am looking forward to reading it. I was able to find it for $1.00 plus S&H from Half.com. I am sure there are a lot of interesting things that we know nothing about.

Archived