Pacific Star - disaster

rack62

There are 2 pools, both of which were filled with freezing cold sea water,

No pool on any cruise ship is ever filled with sea water. For a start the corrosion on the pumps from the salt water would be too much, let alone all the health and safety issues.

No pool on any cruise ship is ever filled with sea water. For a start the corrosion on the pumps from the salt water would be too much, let alone all the health and safety issues.
Although I have no idea how it's done, many ships have saltwater pools on board. I can't speak for P&O specifically.

Although I have no idea how it's done, many ships have saltwater pools on board.

Salt water maybe (although I have never come across it on any of the ships I've sailed on) but a swimming pool needs all sorts of hygeine treatment so they wouldn't just scoop water out of the sea and put it in the pool. Pools are regularly tested for disease and cleanliness so using just seawater wouldn't be an option.

Salt water maybe (although I have never come across it on any of the ships I've sailed on) but a swimming pool needs all sorts of hygeine treatment so they wouldn't just scoop water out of the sea and put it in the pool. Pools are regularly tested for disease and cleanliness so using just seawater wouldn't be an option.
Seawater, no. Salt water yes.

Again I have no idea about the process but I'm quite sure the saltwater in pools would be created on board, not brought in from the ocean. And for the very reasons you cite; hygiene and health.

Sorry, it was salty water, and not sea water...but it was very cold...and salty.

I'm not the only person who is unhappy about the standard of this cruise, but obviously those other people don't post on this board.

Our friends on the cruise were on deck 5 (we were on 7), and they were lucky if their cabin had been made up before dinner!

Our cabin bin contained 2 used cotton buds and the head of a disposable razor....yuk!

We enjoyed our cruise because we were there with some very good friends. The entertainment was superb, but sadly the accommodation and food was very average, in my opinion.

The good thing about boards like this is that you get a diverse range of opinions to allow each and every one of us to make their own minds up.

I personally wouldn't travel again with P&O. If you like informal, then try NCL's freestyle cruising. We travelled to Alaska last year on the Norwegian Spirit. It was outstanding...took the posh frock with us, but way too relaxed to be bothered. That's the great thing about this ship...so much choice and very few rules. Nine restaurants, five of which are included in the cruise price.

Enjoy your holidays....

Kath:)

Our cabin bin contained 2 used cotton buds and the head of a disposable razor....yuk!

On a recent trip to Melbourne, I stayed in a very expensive, 5 star hotel. Upon entering the room, I found rubbish still in the bin and crumbs on the table. So, if it can be overlooked in a place like that, it can be overlooked anywhere. I simply called the desk and had it fixed.

I believe that Australia's P&O ships are fantastic. Please if you are considering going on a cruise, don't change your mind because of negative reviews.As others have said it is what you make of the cruise! It really depends what kind of holiday you want.

I have always found great service, beautiful food, clean rooms, excellent shows and stunning and interesting different islands. P&O Cruises Australia is great and not at all bad like others have suggested. Also I find it hard to believe that the food could be average or like canteen food. I love the food. it is one of the reasons I enjoy cruising!

People can make up their own minds but I believe you can't really judge until you have been on Pacific Sun or Star.

Anyway, everyone's entitled to their own opinions and i hope people will want to cruise with P&O still. :)

I agree with you strawberrypatch. I had only one complaint about our cruise & that was it wasn't long enough. The cabin couldn't have been any cleaner, the food absolutely fabulous and the serice impeccable but at the same time casual & relaxing. I know there are cruise lines out there that offer more but from the impression I get they are not as relaxing & informal as P&O Aust. Many other cruise lines casual nights are like our formal nights. Not my idea of a holiday but I know it appeals to many others. I also think that as far as a family holiday is concerned, the more casual the better. And P&O Aust certainly cater for families and as I have no intention of holidaying without my kids until they are "off our hands", P&O Aust suits us just fine. Would also like to add that at the time we booked our last cruise they were the only ones that catered for a family with 3 children. That alone gets a big thumbs up from me.

KAren

I agree with you strawberrypatch. I had only one complaint about our cruise & that was it wasn't long enough. The cabin couldn't have been any cleaner, the food absolutely fabulous and the serice impeccable but at the same time casual & relaxing. I know there are cruise lines out there that offer more but from the impression I get they are not as relaxing & informal as P&O Aust. Many other cruise lines casual nights are like our formal nights. Not my idea of a holiday but I know it appeals to many others. I also think that as far as a family holiday is concerned, the more casual the better. And P&O Aust certainly cater for families and as I have no intention of holidaying without my kids until they are "off our hands", P&O Aust suits us just fine. Would also like to add that at the time we booked our last cruise they were the only ones that catered for a family with 3 children. That alone gets a big thumbs up from me.

Karen QUOTE

I agree with you Karmac, the beauty to me of cruising with P&O Aust is the casual and fun environment on board the ship. I'm the same, I wouldn't want to cruise on a ship that is formal all the time.

]

Hi Guys,

Where do you get the impression that other cruise ships are 'formal all the time'?

That certainly isn't my impression....

...and with P&O, on formal night you have to go formal or have the buffet (canteen food), or pay in the only other restaurant..

On any other cruise ship I have been on, there have been many choices....and no need to take posh frock if you don't want to...

Enjoy the Pacific Sun/Star...but also know that there are other cruise ships out there offering much more choice on new ships, with flexible dining, great entertainment ...and kids clubs....

Hey have fun....but don't dismiss what else is out there...

Kath :)

Hi Guys,

Where do you get the impression that other cruise ships are 'formal all the time'?

That certainly isn't my impression....

...and with P&O, on formal night you have to go formal or have the buffet (canteen food), or pay in the only other restaurant..

On any other cruise ship I have been on, there have been many choices....and no need to take posh frock if you don't want to...

Enjoy the Pacific Sun/Star...but also know that there are other cruise ships out there offering much more choice on new ships, with flexible dining, great entertainment ...and kids clubs....

Hey have fun....but don't dismiss what else is out there...

Kath :)

Well firstly the impression about how formal other ships are I get on these boards. Secondly, you DON'T have to be formal on P&O. You can go to dinner casual on formal nights if you like. Thirdly, there is no buffet for dinner on P&O (certainly wasn't on my cruise anyway).

I know there are other choices out there if I want to travel to another country to cruise & believe me there is nothing more that I want than a cruise to the Scandinavian Fjords but as a family of 5 living on 1 income we don't have a lot of choice and I'm very happy with the choice we have.

Karen.

That is simply not true.

Yeah, sad how standards are slipping on the other lines.

Hey guys, just a word from someone who has never been on a cruise and is very much looking forward to it.

We are on the Pacific Sun end of August. Reading so much on the boards is great and you do get a fair idea of what to expect - a BIG thankyou to all for all the "silly" questions we may ask.

Now from what I understand is that the P&O ships here may not be in the lap of luxury cruising but nonetheless are still very good, and from what 99.9% have said are very up to standards. Yes I know they are not the newest ships and possibly may look a bit tired to those who have sailed in the newest and the best but they are what we have here and it seems you are all having a great time - ISN"T THAT WHAT IT"S ALL ABOUT!!!

We get on them to enjoy and it doesn't really matter how dressed up you get or how many restaurants there are or if the food wasn't 6 star - there are places you go for these things and I don't think anyone is kidding themselves that our ships are 5 star.

I did a lot of research beforehand and am daily talking of cruises in my line of work. I love to eat out and we often do it in style and we stay in nice places AND I am SO looking forward to this cruise cause it WILL be great, I will make it great. I think less negativity in thought would go a long way to enjoying a cruise

Absolutely fine....and pleased that you are all happy with the Pacific Star.

I won't bother to post any of my opinions or findings in future, as they seem to be not wanted..or taken on board...that's fine...I was merely trying to add value to a discussion, with another dimension maybe.

I don't live in a world of make-believe. I am a Mother of 3 year old and have a career which is full on and full-time.

From my experience of other cruise lines, I found the Pacific Star very disappointing. To me, these issues were such that we made the decision not to cruise with P&O again.

Enjoy the Pacific Star and I will keep my mouth shut and enjoy the cruises I feel that meet the standard.

Happy cruising,

Kath

Hey guys, just a word from someone who has never been on a cruise and is very much looking forward to it.

We are on the Pacific Sun end of August. Reading so much on the boards is great and you do get a fair idea of what to expect - a BIG thankyou to all for all the "silly" questions we may ask.

Now from what I understand is that the P&O ships here may not be in the lap of luxury cruising but nonetheless are still very good, and from what 99.9% have said are very up to standards. Yes I know they are not the newest ships and possibly may look a bit tired to those who have sailed in the newest and the best but they are what we have here and it seems you are all having a great time - ISN"T THAT WHAT IT"S ALL ABOUT!!!

We get on them to enjoy and it doesn't really matter how dressed up you get or how many restaurants there are or if the food wasn't 6 star - there are places you go for these things and I don't think anyone is kidding themselves that our ships are 5 star.

I did a lot of research beforehand and am daily talking of cruises in my line of work. I love to eat out and we often do it in style and we stay in nice places AND I am SO looking forward to this cruise cause it WILL be great, I will make it great. I think less negativity in thought would go a long way to enjoying a cruise

Well said, Mystte, and you will have a great time on the Sun, unless illness bugs you, I cannot understand how anyone would not enjoy themselves. Keep your positive attitude and you will love it!

Myste, if you dont want to hear the good and bad then stick to reading P&O brochures, they will of course only tell you the good. I also think that your maths is bad as 99.9% would mean everyone excpet maybe one. I started this thread and I concur with Kathr, the P&O ship was a motel not a hotel and the food was canteen not restaraunt. You and I pay lots of $$ to go on cruises, and buying a product for lots of $$ one expects to get value for money, I did not.

I hope you enjoy your cruise and that your experience is better. I also hope that you share your journey with others on this board as I and others have done. I will respect your view as I expect you to respect mine and kathr's, even if you dont agree!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Kath, did I miss something?? I read the previous posts, and can't find anywhere where people didn't take your discussions on board.

I haven't cruised on P&O, through personal choice, but feel this is my 'home' as the other boards are too "Americanised". This is a public forum, so feel free to post your opinions and ideas!!

People do know that there are other lines out there, but for many reasons they choose not to go on them. I have been privelaged to be lucky enough to cruise outside Australia. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love to but can't!!

Karmac, if i win the $21million this Saturday, you can cruise the Norwegian fjords, just don't hold your breath:p

I'm only 22, and am hooked for life, as many people are. I would like to cruise the Pacific, but it is not on my priority list, but I am sure I will get there one day.

Personally, I do like the big ships of America, I find them absolutely amazing.

I'm like most Australian's, and love to be laid back and casual. Find a cruise line that suits your personal needs and nature, and have fun!!

I just hope KathR that you decide to stay on these boards, and enjoy them as much as everybody else does.

Bon Voyage and Happy Cruising

Hey AuzzieCruiser...

Thank you soooo much for your response....much appreciated...

I have to admit that coming onto this board after a less than pleasing cruise has been hard. Why bother to post your opinion? Well have had 5 cruises that have more than exceeded expectations...

We love cruising, have done the Med, Panama Canal, Far East, Alaska, Thailand to Aus.

Pacific Star just didn't hit the mark in my very humble opinion and no comparison to previous cruises. To summarise

• cabin bathroom smelt of urine (and bin not emptied)
  • tenders to shore took around 3.5 hours to complete
  • cabin make-up was of poor standard and in some cases was not completed until after dinner in the eve
  • attitude and respect from security staff was not as expected
  • food standard was really average

I won't bother to post any of my opinions or findings in future, as they seem to be not wanted..or taken on board...

That's a bit unfair, it as it would seem that you are equally as unwilling to take on board any views or opinions that differ from your own.

As I have said previously, everyone's cruise experinece is different - and it's only through seeing both sides of the coin that people can make up their minds about what sort of cruise they would like to do.

That's a bit unfair, it as it would seem that you are equally as unwilling to take on board any views or opinions that differ from your own.

As I have said previously, everyone's cruise experinece is different - and it's only through seeing both sides of the coin that people can make up their minds about what sort of cruise they would like to do.

Umm, isn't KathR the one who has "seen both sides of the coin" here and is therefore qualified to make up her mind?

Umm, isn't KathR the one who has "seen both sides of the coin" here and is therefore qualified to make up her mind?

Yes, she is, and I meant that as encouragement for her to stay around and share her experiences - good or bad.

But I also meant to point out that it goes both ways..... Those who've had a good exeprience should recognise that not everyone will have the same good experience, but those who didn't have a good experience should also respect the views of those who did.

Hey AuzzieCruiser...

Thank you soooo much for your response....much appreciated...

I have to admit that coming onto this board after a less than pleasing cruise has been hard. Why bother to post your opinion? Well have had 5 cruises that have more than exceeded expectations...

We love cruising, have done the Med, Panama Canal, Far East, Alaska, Thailand to Aus.

Pacific Star just didn't hit the mark in my very humble opinion and no comparison to previous cruises. To summarise

• cabin bathroom smelt of urine (and bin not emptied)
  • tenders to shore took around 3.5 hours to complete
  • cabin make-up was of poor standard and in some cases was not completed until after dinner in the eve
  • attitude and respect from security staff was not as expected
  • food standard was really average

KathR - I have to agree with you about certain aspects of the cabins service. While we were more than satisified with our cabin service, the other two cabins in our group experienced mixed service - one cabin regularly wasn't made up until late in the day - and the other normally had the cabin stewards knocking on the door at 7.00 AM wanting to clean the cabins!

The tendering process was a bit slow at certain ports - but I think that had more to do with the ports rather than the crew. When we were at Yasawa-I-Rara the tide was going out and one of the tenders got beached at the pontoon - and they had to send tenders over half full to keep the weight down. This strung out the tender process... but we were always kept up to date, and they worked hard to get everyone ashore that wanted to go ashore and get them back again. Because of the stuffy condition of the tender boats in the tropical climate - the crew were handing out bottles of water to anyone who wanted it for the trip back - to try and make the tender rides more bearable.

KathR and Rack62, I apologise, I hadn't meant to be rude. I really enjoy reading the reviews.

No Rack I didn't mean 99.9% of the population, just the people on this board, a much smaller population, sorry if i was not clear. I will just have to see for myself re the food as mostly I have only heard good from here and i am not prepared to judge without first hand knowledge. And yes I do respect your opinions, I listen and I make up my own mind.

And Kath please don't stop posting, I also am a mother of 2 and work full time so I can empathize with you.

I am looking forward to this cruise and would love to try another down the track possibly overseas like Mexico. But this is all I have for now and lucky to have it.:)

Kath you may have to advise me where the next one shouldbe, cause there certainlywill be a next. And I would love to try other liners - a friend is about to go on the Superstar Gemini around Asia and another is going to Alaska on Royal Caribbean (that does sound funny, I hope I got that right)

Anyway to all, please keep on with the posts, all information is important and if thee is a loss in standards it should be spoken of.

Myste, if you dont want to hear the good and bad then stick to reading P&O brochures, they will of course only tell you the good. I also think that your maths is bad as 99.9% would mean everyone excpet maybe one. I started this thread and I concur with Kathr, the P&O ship was a motel not a hotel and the food was canteen not restaraunt. You and I pay lots of $$ to go on cruises, and buying a product for lots of $$ one expects to get value for money, I did not.

I hope you enjoy your cruise and that your experience is better. I also hope that you share your journey with others on this board as I and others have done. I will respect your view as I expect you to respect mine and kathr's, even if you dont agree!

I'm amazed at how serious this has all become. You are quite welcome to make your contributions as we all are. I think that what most are trying to say is that not all experience the same things. Your opinion of the food is canteen, my opinion of the food on the Sun ( that's all I have been on) was really great and the restaurant was first class. You have your views and I have mine but there is nothing that says either of us are wrong. You should continue with sharing your experiences with us because we all need to hear the good and the bad. Most of us are here for others experiences and sharing ours but in a more lighthearted manner without upsetting each other.

Archived