Qvc Chartered Msc Opera 1/7/07 To 1/14/07

Pennacruiser

They told me a balcony suite, then when I called they gave me a cabin with balcony number...No they had to pay for theres. The 1 sister in law and mother in law just got a inside cabin before they where all booked. The other sister in law had gotten hers before that. I really am looking forward to this cruise, My husband just retired so its a nice retirement for us..We are both in our mid 50's. I can't wait to meet everyone, going to be so much fun!!!!!!! Sue

Hi Sue,

We don't go on very many vacations. We live near the Atlantic ocean, so we go to New Jersey to the beach, but that's about the extent of our vacations. Our last cruise was about 15 years ago. So we are also very excited about this cruise. I think when you don't get away very often, the times when you do, are really extra special and exciting. Especially when you are going with other people that you know.

Also, being QVC'ers there are many people that'll have a lot in common on this cruise so I'm sure we'll be meeting a lot of very nice people.

Have you gotten your passport yet?

Barb

I know you use that name for another reason - but from the start I have taken double takes - my last name is Penna - so looking forward to the cruise! Newly disabled and this is my stab at independance,

That's funny, the only reason I used Penna is because I'm from Pennsylvania. If I'm not getting too personal, what is your disability? Also, what is your first name?

Barb

That's funny, the only reason I used Penna is because I'm from Pennsylvania. If I'm not getting too personal, what is your disability? Also, what is your first name?

Barb

My name is Jeri - I have had 3 strokes - minor and I look fine, but they attacked my balance - use a wheelchair when I leave my home by myself but for the cruise will use my cane or walker for rough weather. They found a roommate for me that is a recent widow and I think we will be great together - she is 5 foot and I am 5 foot 2. My strokes also took away my multi-tasking abilities - if tired I am a cross between Sophia from Golden Girls and Bernice from Designing Women. I still remember clearly many things, but the immediate past - forget it/

My name is Jeri - I have had 3 strokes - minor and I look fine, but they attacked my balance - use a wheelchair when I leave my home by myself but for the cruise will use my cane or walker for rough weather. They found a roommate for me that is a recent widow and I think we will be great together - she is 5 foot and I am 5 foot 2. My strokes also took away my multi-tasking abilities - if tired I am a cross between Sophia from Golden Girls and Bernice from Designing Women. I still remember clearly many things, but the immediate past - forget it/

Hi Jeri,

I think it's great that you are going on this cruise and taking a "stab at your independence". Are you worried about going off the ship at the different ports? The reason I am asking is because I have a bad knee (need a knee replacement eventually) and have an arthritic ankle (broke it over 20 years ago and has since turned arthritic) and I have a problem being on my feet for an extended period of time. I am worried about doing a lot of walking after we leave the ship, but I don't want to miss anything. I also have a cane that I will be taking just in case I will need it.

Will you be able to do much walking? Are you doing any of the shore excursions? That's really nice that they paired you up with someone for the cruise. Have you spoken to this woman yet or will you just wait and meet her on the ship?

Barb

Bunky and I have talked over the phone and emailed each other quite a bit. Since I no longer work I have haunted the websites and pass the information to Peg (bunky)! Plan on doing as much of the off ship stuff as possible, and can walk pretty well - just cannot handle steps. Really want to horseback ride - but that is a story to share onboard I think. Just get tired and take naps - of course, that makes we awake until the wee hours. So, just planning on going with the flow. Avid Martini drinker and want to see their menu!

Hi Sue,

We don't go on very many vacations. We live near the Atlantic ocean, so we go to New Jersey to the beach, but that's about the extent of our vacations. Our last cruise was about 15 years ago. So we are also very excited about this cruise. I think when you don't get away very often, the times when you do, are really extra special and exciting. Especially when you are going with other people that you know.

Also, being QVC'ers there are many people that'll have a lot in common on this cruise so I'm sure we'll be meeting a lot of very nice people.

Have you gotten your passport yet?

Barb

Barb, I agree with you, Yes I have my passport already and Hubby has his. Mother in law and 1 sister in law has to get theres yet tho...What cabin did you say your in again? I will be in 10040. I went on a 4 day cruise with my Daughters in May to mexico, We had so much fun, that was my 1st. I live in Northern Oregon but will be in So. Ca. after the 1st, so we will fly out of Vegas. Sue

Barb...Thank you, yes, this cruise is a wonderful thing to win...I was so shocked when they called me!!!!!!! It still seems unreal but as time goes on it will seem more real I'm sure. By the way, my first name is Donna, Sue being my middle name. I usually always go by Sue tho......Sue

When I booked the cruise, I asked about the coctail parties and the person on the phone told me they were planning on having them after the last dinner seating. If you do plan on changing your dinner times, just confirm with them about the coctail parties, just in case they changed it.

Barb

Hey Barb! Spoke this AM with my connection at the cruise and he advised me that the coctail parties will be before the dinner seatings, 1 for early, and one for the later. I don't think this will affect your choice, but I wanted to tell you.

Bunky and I have talked over the phone and emailed each other quite a bit. Since I no longer work I have haunted the websites and pass the information to Peg (bunky)! Plan on doing as much of the off ship stuff as possible, and can walk pretty well - just cannot handle steps. Really want to horseback ride - but that is a story to share onboard I think. Just get tired and take naps - of course, that makes we awake until the wee hours. So, just planning on going with the flow. Avid Martini drinker and want to see their menu!

Having cruised Lirica,FYI they usally have two gang ways for exiting ship, at ports. One is steps and other a ramp type,with couple steps at bottom.Check with information desk or crew for which one will suit you. Have a great trip.

Hey Barb! Spoke this AM with my connection at the cruise and he advised me that the coctail parties will be before the dinner seatings, 1 for early, and one for the later. I don't think this will affect your choice, but I wanted to tell you.

Hi Jeri, I'm not Barb but thanks for the info. Are these Coctail parties formal? guess it really doesnt make a difference except for packing a few more dresses haha... Sue

Hi Jeri, I'm not Barb but thanks for the info. Are these Coctail parties formal? guess it really doesnt make a difference except for packing a few more dresses haha... Sue

Since they are just before whatever time you are dining, I think the country club casual will do it. I refuse to do over my list of clothes I am bringing!!!:D

Since they are just before whatever time you are dining, I think the country club casual will do it. I refuse to do over my list of clothes I am bringing!!!:D

LOL you are so right. Thanks a bunch...Sue

Thanks Jeri, it makes sense to have one cocktail party before each dinner seating. I called also to check on it again and they did confirm this, but still told me that everything isn't cast in stone yet, but typically that is how it should be.

Sue, my cabin is 10142, same deck and same side of the ship as you, but down the hall about two elevators down from you.

There will be two formal dinners on the ship. I understand that you are supposed to get very dressed up for these dinners. How dressed up will you guys be getting? Cocktails dresses? Gowns? or just nice dresses.

Barb

Thanks Jeri, it makes sense to have one cocktail party before each dinner seating. I called also to check on it again and they did confirm this, but still told me that everything isn't cast in stone yet, but typically that is how it should be.

Sue, my cabin is 10142, same deck and same side of the ship as you, but down the hall about two elevators down from you.

There will be two formal dinners on the ship. I understand that you are supposed to get very dressed up for these dinners. How dressed up will you guys be getting? Cocktails dresses? Gowns? or just nice dresses.

Barb

Hi Barb..I am taking 1 coctail dress, 1 long dress and jacket outfit, and 2 dressy pant sets. at least thats it for now. ha...Oh and 1 long skirt and top....Oh my, does it ever end? haha..

Hi Barb..I am taking 1 coctail dress, 1 long dress and jacket outfit, and 2 dressy pant sets. at least thats it for now. ha...Oh and 1 long skirt and top....Oh my, does it ever end? haha..

Well, according to my spread sheet, (wish I was kidding - started mine the day I booked the cruise) a long velvet dress and a long skirt with a sequin top. My daughter is so frustrated with me - now I am looking for "formal" cane. Sequins anyone? Or how about Gold Lame'? :D

Well, according to my spread sheet, (wish I was kidding - started mine the day I booked the cruise) a long velvet dress and a long skirt with a sequin top. My daughter is so frustrated with me - now I am looking for "formal" cane. Sequins anyone? Or how about Gold Lame'? :D

LOL...thats funny, YES a formal cane is a MUST!!!!!! haha, how about a crystal cane with rubies and diamonds? OR a gold twisted chain cane? Oh My, the possibilities are endless. :p Sue

LOL...thats funny, YES a formal cane is a MUST!!!!!! haha, how about a crystal cane with rubies and diamonds? OR a gold twisted chain cane? Oh My, the possibilities are endless. :p Sue

Insomnia is a terrible thing to waste - Last night on the web I found a lucite cane that opens and your can fill it with whatever - pearls, crystals..

Go out shopping now and you will find winter clothes - January will be late spring!

An observation/ Cruise Credic has so many hints for us - but most of the people here seem to be very used to it all - we seem to be a group of people who just want to have fun - like it this way;)

Insomnia is a terrible thing to waste - Last night on the web I found a lucite cane that opens and your can fill it with whatever - pearls, crystals..

Go out shopping now and you will find winter clothes - January will be late spring!

An observation/ Cruise Credic has so many hints for us - but most of the people here seem to be very used to it all - we seem to be a group of people who just want to have fun - like it this way;)

There is a Dept. store around here call Boscov's. They have a section in the store that carries cocktail dresses, gowns, etc. that seem to be both winter and summer clothes all year round. I think I'll try there first.

Sue you might like shopping, but I myself hate shopping. You are probably one of those slender people that no matter what you put on everything looks good. Not me! :( :eek: Anyway, maybe I'll check things out today. I work 1/2 day today so a shopping I will go!

Jeri, I know what you mean, but I have learned a lot from all those veteran cruisers. Cruise Critic has been very interesting. I wonder if any other people from our cruise will find us here. I would of never even found this place if it wasn't for my sister, she told me about this site.

Barb

There is a Dept. store around here call Boscov's. They have a section in the store that carries cocktail dresses, gowns, etc. that seem to be both winter and summer clothes all year round. I think I'll try there first.

Sue you might like shopping, but I myself hate shopping. You are probably one of those slender people that no matter what you put on everything looks good. Not me! :( :eek: Anyway, maybe I'll check things out today. I work 1/2 day today so a shopping I will go!

Jeri, I know what you mean, but I have learned a lot from all those veteran cruisers. Cruise Critic has been very interesting. I wonder if any other people from our cruise will find us here. I would of never even found this place if it wasn't for my sister, she told me about this site.

Barb, I like shopping but not for clothes, I hate trying them on!!!! I LOVE this site, It will be so much fun to meet everyone!! I will be leaving Oregon on the 2nd of Oct. we spend the winters on the desert of Ca. thats why we are flying out of Vegas. But I will keep checking here from my sis in laws computer.

I feel like we all have already made a bond and looking sooo forward to this cruise. :D Sue

Jeri, Yes, that cane is a must!!!! haha...:cool: I am sure we can find something to fill it up hahaha...Sue

By the way, another tidbit, My sister took a cruise to the Caribean in Jan 2 years ago, she said the Days are beautiful but the nights can get a bit Chilly so be sure to take a sweater or shawl. I will take one but probably not wear it, but just in case.....;) Has anyone decided on the shore excursions yet? So Many to choose from....Sue:confused:

Sue, I've been reading these threads about the shore excursions. I read definately not do the Bacardi Distillery and everyone says the whale watching is a must. So I will be doing the whale watching for sure in Caya Levantado and maybe the Jeep Safari. That sound like fun.

As far as San Juan, I think I might just do that on my own. I read the shops are right near the port and they say take a taxi to the forts and walk back. The forts are apparantely up hill all the way, then I might just go to one of the beaches near the port.

I don't think the excursions are posted yet for St. Thomas.

Barb

P.S. I'll be in Portland next June. Do you live anywhere near Portland?

Archived