Notebook PC's on board

shuggee

I'm thinking of getting a notebook PC to take on my cruise next April. It would be handy for downloading digital pics (for safety) and also sending and receiving personalised emails to the family at home. I know RCCL do internet packages whilst on board so that you can connect in your stateroom and use it as much as you want. Has anyone any tips on doing this especially as far as the connection side of things go. Also what about internet accounts, would you have to get a special one for use with a notebook or could you use the same one as your PC at home?

• 6 years later...

I wouldn't think of going on a cruise without my laptop.

Just be aware that most stateroom safes will not hold anything much larger than a MacBook Air. Some won't hold even that. So take a laptop cable lock with you. Although it's been a long time since I bought one, as I recall, those cable locks only cost around $30, give or take.

I can usually find something to attach it to, that is near a drawer, so I can put the laptop out of sight, but keep it locked.

When purchasing an internet package, keep in mind that you can work offline.

I connect, download my email and immediately log off. Then I read my email and compose all of my responses offline. When all of my responses are complete, I reconnect to the Internet and send all of the responses at once. While the email is being sent and received, I check any websites that I need to visit. That way, although I may spend 15 or 20 minutes at a time on the computer, I usually spend less than 3 minutes connected to the internet, at each setting.

Think about how long you really need to be on the Internet, before buying an Internet package onboard.

We bring a laptop mainly for photos and video. We use the ships computer to access emails. etc. We have never had a problem with leaving our electronics in our room. we use to leave them in plain view, but with the stewards leaving the cabin doors open when they are cleaning an area, we now "hide" the electronics within the room, and not in plain site.

Please be aware that internet service on-board tends to be expensive and slow.

By "internet account," I assume you mean email? If so, you can use your normal address(es). Most lines will issue you a ship-board only email address, but you don't need to use it if you don't want to (I never do).

As mentioned, it is a good idea to compose your emails off-line rather than eating up expensive on-lime minutes. If you use Outlook or some other stand alone email program, you can simply compose the emails while off-line and then send them when on-line. If you use web-based email (send/read email from within your browser (e.g., Internet Explorer), you can compose the body of your messages in NotePad or similar and the paste them into the web-based email.

A laptop/netbooks is handy for more than just pictures, but also sufing the web and such in airports and on airplanes.

Not sure if you are aware but connection time charges are the same whether you use your on PC or the ships. The internet usage is pricey and what is worst it is SLOW.

While on the ship they will charge your personal account by the minute. Once online you can access almost everything including your personal internet email etc., but like I mentioned its dreadfully slow.

I'm thinking of getting a notebook PC to take on my cruise next April. It would be handy for downloading digital pics (for safety) and also sending and receiving personalised emails to the family at home. I know RCCL do internet packages whilst on board so that you can connect in your stateroom and use it as much as you want. Has anyone any tips on doing this especially as far as the connection side of things go. Also what about internet accounts, would you have to get a special one for use with a notebook or could you use the same one as your PC at home?

I have always found the RCCI internet connection very reliable.

1. If you are travelling with a partner, and only one machine between the two of you - only open one account, this will save on having left over minutes (which are not refundable).

2. If you connect at home on your PC via an email software like Outlook, then you will need to set the same account up on your notebook at home before sailing. Also do a test run before leaving home.

3. If you use a web host like hotmail, then you will be able to access from your netbook without any configuration.

4. Work off line as much as possible, this will save you money.

5. Understand the connection will not be as fast as your home connection, so if sending pictures you are advised to reduce them in size first - which will speed things up for you.

Enjoy!

Each cruiseline handles internet access differently. You should probably ask this question on the RCCL board for the best answers.

In my experience the internet on ships is expensive and the quality of the connection is slow and intermittent...

Archived