Am I Being Snowed???

Pengawin3

Sorry I haven't responded before now. Thank you to everyone who has chimed in.

Salty...great idea about them holding off actually cancelling.

I will now finish reading everyone's wonderful thoughts.

L

Actually I think your t/a is right. Group bookings earn their free berths based upon the number of cabins that actually sail with the group - early cancellations and no shows do not count towards earning a free berth. So if you have less than 8 cabins that actually sail with the group then you do not earn a free berth. Even though Carnival is already paid for the one cabin that may no be able to go, they still will not count it as having sailed with the group unless the occupants actually show up for the cruise.

Your free berth rebate is being used to lower the price among all eight cabins instead of being rebated back to the group leader after the cruise. I believe when the rebate is used this way, the t/a actuall puts up the $$ to cover the discount for each cabin and recoups their money when Carnival issues the free berth reimbursement a few weeks after the cruise. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding of how it works.

So if someone cancels before the cruise, the t/a will have to adjust everyone else's price and remove the discount because the t/a will no longer be reimbursed for the discount after the cruise is over.

Snowball...this may be what's happening here.

My biggest beef is that I have gone over our contract again, and there is nothing about groups per se. It only notes if there is a cancellation the company (TA) charges $75 per person or 15% of total for the cancelling cabin. I think they should have to hold to that since that's what's in my contract. Also, if they MUST up our rate, they should honor the non-discounted price quoted when we booked or some other nominal fee distributed between all in the group.

Help....I'm sinking in quicksand!!! The rest of the family/group is gonna be sooo p.o'd if they have to pay more.

Okay, Bubbles1209 and Salty Dingo, you two are at the top of the list to take over the cabin...if it comes to that.

I find it odd that the cruise line doesn't consider the cabin "sold" unless it's occupied.

If I purchase a hotel room and never use it, but pay for it, it's MY ROOM. I can show up any time and use it. Why is it different with a cruise cabin?

That last question was slightly rhetorical because I understand the cruiseline doesn't just sell berths or cabins, it sells all the other b.s. onboard AND depends on those extra bodies to spend, spend, spend!

Well, some people do no more than pay for their cabin and tips. They drink the included beverages, buy zero pictures, do not gamble, book tours independently, and stay away from the alternate restaurant.

Sooo, I think our group should only be liable for the tips that would have been generated by the three occupants originally booked in the cabin. That is what's fair. Any other revenue possibly generated was a gamble on Carnival's part and we should not be responsible.

I guess what I think/want and what will be are going to be two different things entirely. :(

I'll keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully this will be a moot point for all involved.

Thank you everyone for your input. I will update you all when I know more.

Snowball...this may be what's happening here.

My biggest beef is that I have gone over our contract again, and there is nothing about groups per se. It only notes if there is a cancellation the company (TA) charges $75 per person or 15% of total for the cancelling cabin. I think they should have to hold to that since that's what's in my contract. .

You're looking at the wrong contract. You have also got a contract with CCL that spells all of this out. It was signed on your behalf by your agent -- that's what agents do, they act on your behalf when dealing with the cruise line.

In that contract it will state exactly what has to happen for the TC credit to be earned. Your group didn't meet those requirements, thus you do not get the credit.

As I said before, it's too bad that the TA set the payment schedule up this way but CCL couldn't care less. So the choices are:

#1 Each group member ponies up the amount that was deducted from their booking but not earned, or

#2 The TA pays the difference.

Carnival doesn't care where the money comes from but they will get their money. I guarantee that.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that Carnival has the cruiser's payment in full, and can now take away the free berth if that person doesn't sail. They've got their money. What does the cruiser actually being on the ship or not have to do with anything? That almost seems criminal that they can do that.

To the poster whose mother was just diagnosed with cancer, first of all, I am very sorry for what you are going through. I will pray that your mother's remaining time will be peaceful. As to your dilemma regarding your upcoming cruise, since your mother was diagnosed after you purchased the insurance, it would not be considered a pre-existing condition and you would be covered if you had to cancel.

TA chiming in with a few thoughts....for whatever it is worth.

One thing I haven't seen in the thread so far is the fact that with most insurance companies you have to actually CANCEL the cruise prior to departure to be able to receive benefits for pre-departure trip cancellation. Most insurance providers will not offer reimbursements for no-shows. I would call the provider right away and verify if this is the case or not so you know all of your options.

In most cases a group discount is honored by Carnival with 5 cabins or more sailed.

In most cases a group ammenity (wine, onboard credit, photo vouchers) will be honored by Carnival with 5 cabins or more sailed.

HOWEVER...as other have pointed out....this group also seems to be set up by also further reducing the cost by dividing up a TC rebate earned when you sail with 8 or more cabins. The cruise line is quite clear that no TC rebate will be given if a group falls below 8 or more cabins SAILING.

Depending how far off your cruise is, your best bet is to either level with the others in the group or try your hardest to get another cabin reserved. Some group leaders I have worked with have told their groups about the posibility of the prices going up if they didnt find some more "warm bodies" to fill an extra cabin. You'd be surprised how quickly and well relationship marketing works when people are faced with having to pay more out of their own pockets :-)

Hope that helps

Michael

Exactly... with enough advance notice and a little persuasion, it is not hard to find somone who will take a good deal.

If each of the remaining members goes to their social network, workplace, church or gym and starts spreading the word, you will have that 8th cabin, and maybe more!

Better get going!

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that Carnival has the cruiser's payment in full, and can now take away the free berth if that person doesn't sail. They've got their money. What does the cruiser actually being on the ship or not have to do with anything? That almost seems criminal that they can do that.

But the cruiseline won't have the money since the person cancelling intends on filing a claim with their insurance to get their money back. If the person doesn't cancel, so the group can still have that berth... then the person cannot collect from insurance, because they never cancelled. It's cancellation insurance, and without a cancellation, there's nothing to collect.

I have a question about "PERKS". I am looking to book 5 cabins next year using the "Military Friends & Family" discount. I was wondering since there will be 5 cabins would we be entitled to receive any perks in addition to the military discount ? I am just waiting for the "promo" for this & have been assured by a Carnival PVP that it will come out sometime this year again. He already has all our military papers & 2 of the men in our group qualify therefore we will be eligible to get 6 cabins at the military rate. And if need be we have another military person in the group we can use. So we are still looking for some other people to book with us. So my next question would be if we get 8 cabins which would be cheaper the military discount or the 8 cabin discount ? And if the military discount is cheaper would we still be eligible for "perks" with either 5 or 8 cabins ? :confused:

P.S. I ask here because I do not know how to start a new thread . Any help in that dept. would be appreciated also.

You can not get the group amenities while using the Military Rates, regardless the number of cabins booked. IMHO, the price you get with the military discount far outweighs what you could get with a group discount and amenities.

In regards to starting a new post, if you go to the listing of Carnival threads, there whould be a button somewhere at the top of the page that says New Thread. If you click on this you will be given a blank page to start a new thread.

TA chiming in with a few thoughts....for whatever it is worth.

One thing I haven't seen in the thread so far is the fact that with most insurance companies you have to actually CANCEL the cruise prior to departure to be able to receive benefits for pre-departure trip cancellation. Most insurance providers will not offer reimbursements for no-shows. I would call the provider right away and verify if this is the case or not so you know all of your options.

In most cases a group discount is honored by Carnival with 5 cabins or more sailed.

In most cases a group ammenity (wine, onboard credit, photo vouchers) will be honored by Carnival with 5 cabins or more sailed.

HOWEVER...as other have pointed out....this group also seems to be set up by also further reducing the cost by dividing up a TC rebate earned when you sail with 8 or more cabins. The cruise line is quite clear that no TC rebate will be given if a group falls below 8 or more cabins SAILING.

Depending how far off your cruise is, your best bet is to either level with the others in the group or try your hardest to get another cabin reserved. Some group leaders I have worked with have told their groups about the posibility of the prices going up if they didnt find some more "warm bodies" to fill an extra cabin. You'd be surprised how quickly and well relationship marketing works when people are faced with having to pay more out of their own pockets :-)

Hope that helps

Michael

Finally, a professional voice of reason. Listen to Michael folks; he knows whatof he speaks! Thanks!

A group is a group is a group - until it isn't! Not the TA's fault or doing. Carnival (and others) have everything laid out for groups and the amenities/discounts/etc. Once the size of the group falls below the contracted number of cabins, all bets are off. :)

But the cruiseline won't have the money since the person cancelling intends on filing a claim with their insurance to get their money back. If the person doesn't cancel, so the group can still have that berth... then the person cannot collect from insurance, because they never cancelled. It's cancellation insurance, and without a cancellation, there's nothing to collect.

Carnival will still have the money if they cancel...the insurance company is out the money they will have to reimburse, not Carnival.

Okay, thank you everyone for your great advise.

In regards to the "contract" with Carnival and the poster who seemed to admonish me for not knowing the "rules". I never received any contract stipulating the "rules" of groups. These things were conveyed to me verbally, but never put in print. Carnival does not post detailed info on group travel, nor does it print the info in its brochures.

I am NOT a travel agent, just a family member who has cruised alot. We traveled with a family group to Alaska before (02) and booked with the same TA and had no problems, so I (stupidly) didn't require massive amounts of paperwork and assurances from this agency.

Here's the update:

We are now down to 7 cabins as there has been a cancellation. The family decided it was too risky to be away with a close family member terminally ill. The additional charge was a measly $65 per person. Not much to us, but possibly alot for others. We have all paid it, and some have already received docs.

I am now in the process of trying to get some sort of perk from our TA for the "non-group". We weren't allowed to participate in any specials due to our being a group when we booked, so now that we are no longer a "group" I want my PERKS!!! A bottle of wine or champagne, maybe a ship credit, something that says this TA and agency value our business. Keeping my fingers crossed, but not holding my breath!!

I would find out of this sailing if you can indeed book 5 cabins into the group...some sailings thats all you need.

Sounds like you all booked with the same agent with the same price.

When we sailed the Liberty our group needed 16 cabins to get a amenitie- maybe coz it was a newer ship. we got 15 cabins at a lower rate and no amenities.

Well, no perks for our "un-group". Major bummer. Just talked to my TA and she said there are none available for us. Not even a lousy bottle of wine.

This clinches it. No more business from us for this TA. I could have booked us all with CruCon for around the same $$ AND gotten a bunch of perks!! (group or no group).

Live and learn. I really thought the TA we used would be able to find some sort of added amenity for us since this is the second group cruise to AK we've booked, but no love from my TA.

The best part is we leave soon!!! It has been hotter than hades here in GJ. Fortunately we've had a bit of cooling and a tiny smattering of rain. Hooray!, it's 3pm and NOT 100 degrees!!!

Still waiting for our docs. TA had to mail us ANOTHER form that okays the extra charge to my CC. Geez. Don't understand why they can't just charge the lousy $130 to the CC they have on file without the added paperwork. Yes, I understand it's for my safety too, but I want my docs!!! (I know, it's good to want things) ;)

Okay, I'm done whining for today. :)

Well, no perks for our "un-group". Major bummer. Just talked to my TA and she said there are none available for us. Not even a lousy bottle of wine.

This clinches it. No more business from us for this TA. I could have booked us all with CruCon for around the same $$ AND gotten a bunch of perks!! (group or no group).

Live and learn. I really thought the TA we used would be able to find some sort of added amenity for us since this is the second group cruise to AK we've booked, but no love from my TA.

The best part is we leave soon!!! It has been hotter than hades here in GJ. Fortunately we've had a bit of cooling and a tiny smattering of rain. Hooray!, it's 3pm and NOT 100 degrees!!!

Still waiting for our docs. TA had to mail us ANOTHER form that okays the extra charge to my CC. Geez. Don't understand why they can't just charge the lousy $130 to the CC they have on file without the added paperwork. Yes, I understand it's for my safety too, but I want my docs!!! (I know, it's good to want things) ;)

Okay, I'm done whining for today. :)

:( I'm not, now my cabin is gone:( ...........hope you guys have a great time:p

Archived