QUEEN VICTORIA... Liner or Shoe Box??

SSNORWAY

I haven't seen much discussion about the Victoria, although i'm feeling lazy and not done a search:o , so there's probably loads about it.

Anyway I cant make my mind up about this ship, part of the whole experience I really like is the sailaway and the ships I have been on without the tiered sterns have their sailaways in the middle up top, which I find soul-less. I am sure it will be gorgeous inside, but I am a bit worried its going to be a bit of a shoe box like all the other ships around these days.

It doesn't seem to have a promenade either.

All that aside I really wish I had booked the maiden voyage and can't now cos it's fully booked so there must be a fair amount of general anticipation.

What are your views?

I haven't seen much discussion about the Victoria, although i'm feeling lazy and not done a search:o , so there's probably loads about it.

Anyway I cant make my mind up about this ship, part of the whole experience I really like is the sailaway and the ships I have been on without the tiered sterns have their sailaways in the middle up top, which I find soul-less. I am sure it will be gorgeous inside, but I am a bit worried its going to be a bit of a shoe box like all the other ships around these days.

It doesn't seem to have a promenade either.

All that aside I really wish I had booked the maiden voyage and can't now cos it's fully booked so there must be a fair amount of general anticipation.

What are your views?

Hi SSNORWAY

Well I shall take a cruise on her after a couple of years in service.

However, she is not a liner. She is a cruise ship. And unless the interiors turn out better than the artists impressions, a pretty tacky one too.

IMHO

Looking forward to it. However, that being said, it appears I am one of the few who are! Its hard to be negative about something that's not even here yet.

Will I sail her? Perhaps some day.

I definitely will, I thought the QM2 was like a block of apartments sitting on top of a ship when I first saw it (in fact I still do really, but don't tell anyone!) but I really liked it and am excited about going back on her this Christmas.

I definitely will, I thought the QM2 was like a block of apartments sitting on top of a ship when I first saw it (in fact I still do really, but don't tell anyone!) but I really liked it and am excited about going back on her this Christmas.

Enjoy your Christmas cruise. To tell you the truth I actually do think the QM2 is rather an ugly ship (on the outside - I like the pics of the inside). That being said though it has a certain charm all its own and its definitely one of a kind. There is no sister ship on the high seas. So I understand completely what you are saying. I am doing the QM2 for the first time in December (early though) and really looking forward to it.

Doing the QE2 for the first time in 2007 and also looking forward to it but for totally different reasons.

And I think you and I realize the point here. All three ships cannot really be expected to be the same.

I hear a lot of negatives against the QV for what it is not rather than what it is. I'm willing to wait to see what ship is actually launched before I can say anything. I'm one of the few who actually liked HAL's Vista class ships so I figure I'll be one of the few who would be anticipating the QV. I won't judge a ship by a bunch of drawings however.

Again, all the best on your future cruises. May Cunard live long and prosper.:) Okay, so that line is a rip-off. he he he

I hear a lot of negatives against the QV for what it is not rather than what it is. I'm willing to wait to see what ship is actually launched before I can say anything.

Bramcruiser - a lot comes from people whose 'history' of Cunard is very narrow - confined to the glamourous, but minority, express liner fleet. Cunard has had very few of those - and in general only a couple in service at any one time - most of the rest of the ships were smaller and slower. So, I beg to differ with Pepper - if the Queen Vic is used on 'liner' voyages, you can argue she is a 'liner' - although certainly not an express one - hence the seven night tandem crossing with the QE2 in 2008, whereas the QE2 used to do it in 5 nights, and even at her (exceptionally) advanced age still manages it in 6. The Queen Vic is of course being designed to perform cruising - but she may well make off peak crossing - 'liner' voyages, just as MAURETANIA (II) did too - and many preferred the slightly less hectic, slightly more comfortable ride of a slower crossing. The QE2 was designed and built as a liner/cruise ship - just as the QM2. I suspect a fairer description of the Queen Vic would be as a cruise ship, capable of making line voyages (though at speeds last seen in the Cunard express liner fleet in the early 1900s....)

Peter

I agree that you can't judge a ship by it's (brochure) cover, and I bet it will be lovely, cruiser, liner or hybird. BUT I agree with Pepper on the drawings...TAAAAKEEEE! Is that a fiber optic plant in the corner of the Queen's Grill? What's with the wrought iron?

Dare I say it -- it looks very kinda Carnival interpretation of Victorian. Mind you, I'm only talking about the drawings. Who knows how it will really turn out?

I haven't seen much discussion about the Victoria

I for one am worried about what Cunard will do with three ships. They sound to be having difficulty filling the Mary and I suspect that once the initial fuss dies down they will the Victoria as well. I wonder what will happen to the QE2 - as she gets older she must be costing more and more to keep going.

. I suspect a fairer description of the Queen Vic would be as a cruise ship, capable of making line voyages (though at speeds last seen in the Cunard express liner fleet in the early 1900s....)

Peter

Peter,

I agree with that description 100%.

With very best wishes

I don't see why Cunard can't have more than three ships. Princess, HAL and Carnival amongst other lines can survive with a number of ships on the seas and sailing in various parts of the world.

However, I do tend to agree with you phnmark on one thing. The QE2 is an old gal and Cunard knows it. It has a huge following and that is what is currently keeping it going. However, the time will have to come for a retirement. I don't think they can afford another massive refit from stern to bow next time around. The QV is undoubtedly the replacement once that dreadful day arrives. A poor substitute I will agree but no one will build a second QE2 anymore.

I don't quite believe the QM2 is difficult to fill. Yes, it tends to offer deep discounts for many sailings but that tends to be the way the cruise industry operates here in North America. Cunard has long ago decided to have the QM2 as their ship for the North American market and thus its marketed exactly the same way any other cruise line would market their ship here. Heavy competition and deep discounts are a way of life in most waters around here. The QE2 is, from my own observations, a decidedly British ship with a legacy behind it and its going to go out that way. The marketing of both ships are so different which explains why there is so much confusion about what Cunard is really all about - is it a cruise line or a transatlantic liner company? Is it a mass market competitor or is it a luxury end throwback to the glory days of cruising?

It'll be interesting with the QV in the mix. I suspect the move is more towards 21st century cruising ala QM2 but it also appears that the QV is going to be based in Europe and not be considered a North American market ship. Thus, who knows where its going to go?

I believe Cunard is likely to be a mass market experience more streamlined with the "grill" set and the average joe filling out the rest. Is it a bad thing? NOt really. I agree with Guernseyguy in that Cunard was not completely a line of old classy gals and people in fine clothes in the past so why are we pretending that it was. Hopefully it will be a higher end mass market experience to differentiate itself enough. I think the transatlantics are a given as this is the one strong point Cunard has in its favour.

We'll give her the benefit of the (significant) doubt.

However, given that she is a glorified Vista (?) ship, then presumably if they cannot carry her for the rest of QE2's life, then she can move away from Cunard and have a repaint to standard apartment block white?

Archived