Crown: Sue first-ask questions later

drjohn4

Lawsuits filed by individuals who have been injured as he result of preventable human error are not, prima facie, “frivolous.”

Fortunately, the constitution of the U.S. guarantees individuals to the right to a trial by jury to consider the facts of cases, and to make determinations about responsibility and restitution. Such decisions are not, thankfully, decided by cruise message board posters who have very fervent opinions about lawyers and courts, but know virtually nothing about the specific facts surrounding individual cases. That’s what courts and juries are for.

Trials require lawyers--through the retention of legal counsel, individuals may be able to assert all of the rights and privileges they are entitled to under the law. If you don’t want to assert your rights under the law, you are not obliged to do so. Others, however, may make a different decision and are free to do so.

While not for one second minimizing the validity of certain upcoming litigation as to the incident on the CP I respectfully take exception to your previous comments in what common day americans see as "frivolous".

Although proper filing procedures by licensed attorneys may constitute non frivolous I know from my own experience I've been the recipient of more than one what i would consider frivolous lawsuit. I could give certain illustrations of these but I will not lengthen the message I'm conveying. I'll be glad to oblige if asked to do so. Anyone can sue for anything at anytime with an atty of no conscience or low ethical standards.

The state of South Carolina as explained to me by my attorney has signed into law disallowing such suits named 'frivolous' that are cause without merit. He also forewarned me he wouldn't pursue a counter claim on my behalf in fear of his license being revoked from the newly inacted law.

Whereas I appreciate and respect the laws of our country protecting our citizenry involved in various alleged issues I'm of the opinion the general public is fed up with being held hostage through business and everyday life transformed into a 'defensive' posture if things were different in our court system. The court docits are backed up with mere foolishness and starry eyed envisionaries wanting their ill conceived day in the sun.

While most suits may not be dismissed in the court as being frivolous when a judge or jury hands down their verdict,, please don't tell me there's not a lot of eye rolling on why a particular suit was brought before the courts to begin with!!

We were on a cruise and had the transformer blow. We were without ac for about 8 hours. WELL some passengers first words were "We are going to own this ship". .

I would have told them:

After you own the ship.......and when the ac goes out again.........those passengers will own your ship.....:)

Unfortunately as Chief mentioned,we (the future passengers) will end up paying for this law suit.

There's no one else to receive the bill...it's just another risk related factor to be considered when we choose to cruise.

And these lawyers in New York- that is why NY has a bad rep for exactly what is about to occur.

I hope that Princess, RCCL, Nor. all pull out of that port. Here these cruise liners are trying to hlep out by eliminating the airfare down to FL to get on a ship and this is the way they are treated.

As in Europe= this is what they call the ugly american. Which is so sad.

Glad that all those lawyers know more about the ships than the marine industry ... am awaiting their explaination as to what the failure was, and then after they have sat in deliberation we can sack all those fine fellows at the NTSB who are working hard it.

As you can tell I have no time for lawyers, and I wish that they would leave the professionals (i.e. NTSB / MAIB) to get to the route cause of the problem unimpeded, thus making all cruise vessels a safer place - instead of wasting the regulatory bodies time in appearing as expert witnesses, etc in civil cases.

And these lawyers in New York- that is why NY has a bad rep for exactly what is about to occur.

I hope that Princess, RCCL, Nor. all pull out of that port. Here these cruise liners are trying to hlep out by eliminating the airfare down to FL to get on a ship and this is the way they are treated.

I think servicing an area with a large population to increase profits was a greater motivation than the cruiseline desire to "help out" through eliminating airfares to FL. For that reason alone, we can expect more rather than fewer cruiselines operating from that port.

In many cases, people and lawyers do what they do because they can...thus the call for tort reform.

I don't get the menatlity. I've reported that there was a man in the hall, not ten minutes after the incident asking people (inlcuding me), "How much do you think we can get in a suit?" He was dead serious too. I pretty much told him off, because we did not even know what was what yet.

Everyone hates lawyers .... until they need one.:rolleyes:

And I have had many a fad cat about to be skinned, downtrodden women with no one to help them, and just the plain in need as clients. Like I said .... until you need one.

My newest case ... daughter is being sued by her Dad. Seems Mom made her the beneficiary of a life insurance policy. She's dead; Dad's not happy. Oh, BTW, Dad also wants visitation with his grandchildren.

We don't make the cases, they're made by our clients.

Just food for thought.

As I agree that the cases are brought on by "clients", isn't it also the responsibility of the attorney to NOT file a frivolous lawsuit? Not that all of the suits that we come out of this tragic experience will be frivolous, but a great majority of them will be.

First, I don't think where the ship is docked is relative to whether or not anyone files suit.

I agree that Americans (and I am one) are quick to sue. I've worked for/with lawyers for 20 years -- I've seen it all. And I've seen people who should be suing who don't.

Not all lawsuits that come of this incident will be frivilous -- remember what might be to you may not be to someone else. If you weren't there, and I wasn't, then I don't think it's fair to speculate how someone else is feeling or what they went through. And, even if they tell us how they feel and how hurt they got -- we still cannot really know, we're not in their shoes.

But, don't point fingers at New Yorkers. They aren't the ones who caused the ship to list and the ship didn't have 3100 New York passengers.

(as a side note, I am a dis-placed New Yorker and I get the accusations as well.)

Just as an aside. I am a midwestern girl. Born and raised in Michigan. I have to be honest I was a little nervous about traveling in a ship filled with any group from one area. What a waste of emotion! I found the New Yorkers to be nice, polite and wonderful. Except for some mentions of my, "funny accent" (hysterical) and some rather obnoxious chair hogs (and I mean OBNOXIOUS) it was great to travel with them. Put me in a ship full of "rude" New Yorkers anytime. I was charmed and delighted. I tell you what, in a crisis those are the folks you wanna be with. They've been there and done that. They were SO calm!

Navychief, I agree 100 percent with you, however the cruiselines ARE marketing cruise vacations like a week at the Waldorf and that's what people are expecting. These massive floating amusement parks (offensive in my opinion) are attracting a crowd who in many cases do not have an appreciation of a sea going vessel and it's dynamic environment.

Navychief, I agree 100 percent with you, however the cruiselines ARE marketing cruise vacations like a week at the Waldorf and that's what people are expecting. These massive floating amusement parks (offensive in my opinion) are attracting a crowd who in many cases do not have an appreciation of a sea going vessel and it's dynamic environment.

Yes and that's unfortunate. But there is hope, and that's where we who have experiance at sea pass our knowledge off to our fellow casual cruisers by use of this forum. I just hope that my experiances with the 1800+ Sea Days (Port visits not included) in the course of my professional Naval career can aid in the understanding of ship's movement and life experiances in the tradition of the "All Weather Mode" U.S. Navy. I am more than happy to share these experiances (I refrain from telling too many "Sea Stories" here though, they can get some cruisers a bit on edge :D). Happy cruising to all!

There are always people that are complete jerks and trying to take advantage of accidents. But, I don't think that any court would consider an injury suit from this accident to be frivolous. Princess has insurance to cover accidents. So, the passengers that had broken bones or other injuries will be compensated.

Other claims will be evaluated by juries. Next time you serve on a jury insist on doing the right thing. Without knowing the facts it's pointless to discuss the merits of any particular suit.

The point of my original post was not to suggest that passengers on the Crown should not get full compensation for their injuries and losses. If a Princess employee was responsible for the incident, people who were injured should have all of their medical expenses paid by Princess, and should probably get a reasonable sum for pain and suffering. The point is that they should give Princess a chance to do the right thing before running down to the courthouse. They might actually see some money faster that way.

The point of my original post was not to suggest that passengers on the Crown should not get full compensation for their injuries and losses. If a Princess employee was responsible for the incident, people who were injured should have all of their medical expenses paid by Princess, and should probably get a reasonable sum for pain and suffering. The point is that they should give Princess a chance to do the right thing before running down to the courthouse. They might actually see some money faster that way.

AMEN!

Not only will they see money faster, they will get to keep more of it!

Clearly people were annoyed, they were frustrated, and now feel the need to blow off steam. Intelligent people think before they act. Emotions often get in the way of logical thinking....

It's normal to feel angry or frustrated when after several days, enjoying your fabulous cruise then all of a sudden, you've been let down by this unfortunate circumstance.....But anger and frustration don't justify violent action liking jumping into suing....Often we allow ourselves to get all worked up about things that, upon closer examination, aren't that big of a deal...Other people have been through worse and live to tell about because they DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF.....

chasetf -- Fantastic.....

I wonder how the first set would deal with a real catastrophe like a major earthquake, hurricane Katrina, tsunami,.WAR.. where people end up killed, homeless, or in dire straights. I have met many from that second group, and they are my friends and neighbors with whom I have experienced earthquakes, typhoons, and landslides. These people will rise to the occasion, offer help, and pull together. The first group are the ones calling their lawyers.

Let's see who will rise to their occasion days, weeks, months after the incident...Time will tell....

And the passengers who were on board, let us know what type you choose to be....

None of you will be traumatized for life unless you let it happen.

Great statement - cruise38.....

Archived