HC Accessible Cabins on Carnival or RCCL

cruise4

We recently took a trip on the Carnival Valor. I use an electric scooter to get around in ports, but don't need it all the time. We booked a regular balcony cabin. We had to fold up the scooter to get it in the door sideways (which we knew we had to do when we booked the cabin). Anyhow, we found it to be a hassle to lift the scooter to get it in the door. We thought maybe next time we would book a HC accessible cabin to make it easier to get the electric scooter in and out. We like to book balcony cabins. Does anyone know if there are HC accessible balcony cabins on either Carnival or Royal Caribbean?

yes there are handicapped accessible balcony cabins on both carnival and rccl. how many and deck location vary from ship to ship, but you can go to the site for either cruise company and pull up ships - after locating the ship you are interested in go to deck plans. the deck plans will show you deck by deck exactly what category and where - handicapped cabins are always marked with some symbol. also if you go to cruiseclues.com/photoclubs.htm you will find deck plans for every ship and for some of them you will find a summary of all categories and the varying facilities in each and, in some cases, they list the sq ft for both cabin and balcony.

one exception to be aware of is HAL; they have wheelchair accessible which have extra wide doors,roll in showers, grab bars etc and ramps to the balcony. they also have modified wheelchair (usually suites on their older ships) which do not have widened doors, have a lip up into the bathroom and another in to the shower. the latter are unsatisfactory if you are confined to the scooter - or wheelchair.

in my opinion, your best bet are regular handicapped accessible cabins on the newer ships because they keep making improvements. for instance, the Radiance class ships of rccl have push button hydraulic openers for both the cabin and bathroom doors naking it much easier to wheel yourself in and out without someone else to hold the door open.:)

leoandhugh are correct that both RCCL and Carnival have accessible balconies on all, but their oldest ships. In fact, I am pretty sure that the Valor has accessible balconies. You'll also find that HC balconies are usally larger to accomodate wheelchair/scooter turn radius. However, Carnival no longer indicates HC cabins on their plan. You or your TA need to call them to find which, if any, are available.

One caution though. The ease of accessibility to the balcony in HC cabins varies. We have never experienced a real problem, but have read that others have. In addition, my husband found it much easier to access our balcony on the Brilliance of the Seas than on the HAL Zuiderdam. Access to the balcony on the Brilliance was ramped on the inside under the carpet while the Zuiderdam had a ramp outside on the balcony making it more difficult to turn when exiting the balcony.

yes dale ,and we found on both the amsterdam and the westerdam that the ramps in and out to the balcony were so steeply inclined that the scooter would often hang up because of insufficient clearance - 2", but on both ships they did a makeshift rebuild to make the incline less steep, but that cut down on the turning space outside on the balcony. we are back to radiance class rccl this year on a back2back mediterranean/TA cruise this fall. of all the many cruises we have taken,those ships are the most handicapped friendly we have found.:)

I've been reading some of these posts for awhile, as I sometimes travel with my Mom - almost 90 and still loves to cruise - and she needs a handicapped cabin for both her wheelchair and walker.

I stumbled across - by accident - how to identify handicapped accessible cabins on Carnival ships ...

On their website, click on FAQs - from there scroll down to Guests with Special Requirements and click on that -then follow that page to "click here" - and the page that comes up lists all Carnival ships. Click on the one you're interested in and that brings up a map of the ship showing all the decks and accessibility routes as well as all the HC cabins highlighted in blue.

From there, call your TA for availability.

We were booked on a HC suite on the Carnival Liberty for an uppcoming cruise and found out from the above mentioned map (at the end, on the last page of notes) that our reserved suite had a whirlpool tub and shower inside the tub only - no roll in shower!! As soon as I found out, we were able to switch to a balcony cabin instead. I was told by a Carnival rep that some cabins are "modified" and some are "accessible". That was the difference between them.

Hope this helps some of you.

Norma

Thanks so much for all of your help. I will check into the suggestions mentioned here. For now, I think we will need to look into a "modified" cabin. Our main concern is getting my electric scooter in the door without having to carry it in. But all that you have mentioned will definitely help!

Most RCCL ships have wide doors for their suites ( RS,OS, and GS) Voyager and Freedom Junior suites (JS) also have wide entry, but not bathroom, doors..... If all you need is to get the scooter thru the front door JS would be closest in price to balcony cabins (with extra perks)... if you know what ship you want you can confirm door widths with RCCL directly or others on this board...

Good luck...

We just returned from Navigator of the Seas (RCI) balcony HC stateroom #7600, was totally wheelchair friendly and large enough for two wheelchairs. Threshold to the balcony was the flip down type and was no problem at all. Bathroom was great and roomy, no problem with storage space or accessibility. Only problem was that the closer on the stateroom door didn't automatically catch, so we had to be sure the door was shut firmly whenever leaving the stateroom. Probably just needed a small adjustment, but we didn't think to mention it to the attendant.:)

I have a small scooter and found that I was able to find a spot to park it overnight-usually around the elevators. I have done this many, mnay times and had no problems what so ever. I could then bring the battery in the cabin at night to re-charge it. I hate to see someone take a handicapped room just to store a scooter.

We had a lovely balcony cabin on RCCL Vision of the Seas, several years ago. It is now one of the older ship, but the room was the largest and the nicest, even better than suites we have had on Celebrity. Very easy to roll out to the balcony.

I have a small scooter and found that I was able to find a spot to park it overnight-usually around the elevators. I have done this many, mnay times and had no problems what so ever. I could then bring the battery in the cabin at night to re-charge it. I hate to see someone take a handicapped room just to store a scooter.

Agree with you totally, Juliab! :D

Thanks for speaking up Umbarger! I have a wasting muscle disease and love to cruise. I put off taking a handicapped room as long as I could, but now need one so I book it without shame! I wish others would do the same. I get the feeling that the OP is going to book a handicapped room. Saddens me.

There-I have said it and am glad!

Happy cruising!

Juliab

Seriously, I don't know what we're going to do on our next cruise. We were told by the cruise line that under no circumstances were wheelchairs or scooters to be stored in the hallways or anywhere outside of the room. That's why I was asking about HC cabins. I have had MS for 17 years and my health is slowly deteriorating. This last cruise really made me face the truth as far as I can't get around the way I used to. Guess I'll just have to see what kind of shape I am in when we cruise the next time, and what the cruise line says about the scooter. I would never take HC resources away from someone who really needs them!

Which cruise line told you that? I am curious because I have been on Disney, Celebrity,Princess and have seen multiple scooters, wheelchairs in the corridors and never had any complaints about mine. Unless this is something new-my last cruise was in April-it is another of those things that they tell you but never enforce. For example they tell you on the tickets not to arrive to board before say 2pm and if you follow those directions you will find that most everybody else was on the ship by 11AM! As I said, I usually leave mine by the elevator. I am going on a RCL cruise in 2 weeks-will let you know what I see. If it really is true, then you have no other choice but to book a handicapped room. I agree you shouldn't have to break out a scooter each time you go in and out of the room.

Happy cruising Juliab

Unfortunately I have been told no skooters in the hallways or by the elevators by both RCCL and Carnival. Now Carnival did let me park my skooter at the pursers desk one time but there was very little room there for parking and then I had to make it back to the room without it.

We were told this by Carnival, and we just sailed this past June. We have sailed on RCCL and HAL, but didn't have the scooter then. I talked to someone directly at the Carnival Special Needs Department a week or so before we left for our cruise.

I have seen wheelchairs and scooters parked out in the hallway many times. I can see why the cruise lines wouldn't want them parked there in case of an emergency, however, I still see them. When we cruised Carnival last year ,and were thinking of bringing a scooter, I was told by the special needs dept that we could park my moms scooter at the pursers desk. It turned out there were 3 parked there. I was also told that perhaps my room steward would find a little place to put it out of the way but close by. I know that sounds inconvenient but it can be done. There are so few handicapped cabins.

Juliab,

I have limb-girdle Muscular Dystrophy(in other words my muscles are dying) One day I know I will be in a wheelchair :( .....but not yet. :D

I frimly believe in not asking! You will find a spot for your scooter.

Juliab

Umbarger, I have IBM (inclusion body myositis) a rare auto immune disease. It is under the umbrella of the MDA.

• 4 weeks later...
We just returned from Navigator of the Seas (RCI) balcony HC stateroom #7600, was totally wheelchair friendly and large enough for two wheelchairs. Threshold to the balcony was the flip down type and was no problem at all. Bathroom was great and roomy, no problem with storage space or accessibility. Only problem was that the closer on the stateroom door didn't automatically catch, so we had to be sure the door was shut firmly whenever leaving the stateroom. Probably just needed a small adjustment, but we didn't think to mention it to the attendant.:)
Onelegcraig - v interested in your thread. Wife & I thinking of cruising in NOS next year ex-Southampton UK. Any info on 7600 welcome, particularly layout of bathroom and bed height. We are first time cruisers so any info welcome.:)

I've been reading some of these posts for awhile, as I sometimes travel with my Mom - almost 90 and still loves to cruise - and she needs a handicapped cabin for both her wheelchair and walker.

I stumbled across - by accident - how to identify handicapped accessible cabins on Carnival ships ...

On their website, click on FAQs - from there scroll down to Guests with Special Requirements and click on that -then follow that page to "click here" - and the page that comes up lists all Carnival ships. Click on the one you're interested in and that brings up a map of the ship showing all the decks and accessibility routes as well as all the HC cabins highlighted in blue.

From there, call your TA for availability.

We were booked on a HC suite on the Carnival Liberty for an uppcoming cruise and found out from the above mentioned map (at the end, on the last page of notes) that our reserved suite had a whirlpool tub and shower inside the tub only - no roll in shower!! As soon as I found out, we were able to switch to a balcony cabin instead. I was told by a Carnival rep that some cabins are "modified" and some are "accessible". That was the difference between them.

Hope this helps some of you.

Norma

Thanks Norma! I just followed your direction and saved it to my computer! This makes it much easier to plan for my sister on our cruise on the Miracle. Thanks for the tip!

We just returned from a cruise on the Rhapsody of the Seas. We had an inside HC that was very accessible and roomy. There were plenty of public HC restrooms. Both levels of the dinning room was accessible. One "bad" thing---the wait-staff fought over who would get to assist us. The theater allowed wc's in the isle, so we could set any distance we desired from the stage. We chose to set at the back for quicker, easier exit. The elevators were good, although a little slow for everyone. Inaccessible areas were the hot tubs, the upper level of the Viking Lounge and the upper sun deck. Tendering in Belize went well. For the trip to the island we used the roll-on tender. It would accommodate any type of chair or scooter. For the trip back, we used the non HC tender. The crew handled the chair with no problem. Only three steps down. At the ship, a single lift by hand to the platform and then the ships crew carried Lynn up about fifteen steps to the entry way without any discomfort to her. Don't try it with a power chair or scooter. My recomendation: use the deck level tenders. Also they are faster on the water. We are planning our next cruise to the Panama Canal with RCI.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, all, I'm glad I found this thread and I think it's interesting.

juliab- My dad also has IBM, and I've watched his progress over the years. It saddens me, but I'm amazed at how he keeps his spirits up. He's permanently in a motorized chair now, and can't travel anymore.

QUESTION FOR ALL - My wife and I have booked a cruise on RCI's Freedom of the Seas for our anniversary next year. She has significant back problems, but not severe enough to be in a wheelchair. We're currently booked into a handicapped room, but I'm wondering how exactly these rooms are configured. Is it just more access space and ramps for wheelchairs, or are there other things, too?

Is everything at a lower height specifically for wheelchairs? I'm wondering if my wife and I will have to bend over to use sinks, mirrors, etc. That could totally defeat the purpose of us being in the room. And if that's the case, I wouldn't want to take the room from another disabled person that may need it. That would be a double whammy!

Thanks in advance for the info, just I can make the best decision.

Archived