Hotel Recommendation in OSJ

cruisesusie

Under $200 may be a problem, unless you are willing to try priceline. But I do recommend the Sheraton Old San Juan. Good hotel, great view of the ships from the roof top pool. If you are sailing Princess or Carnival, it is literally right across the street from the pier.

Thanks RichardK - I tried that, but it seems the search feature wasn't working. I'll try again.

Good. I just double checked and it is working fine now --- i.e., my entry "San Juan Hotels" came up with dozens of threads, many with that in the subject!

My husband and I really enjoyed Hotel Milan when we stayed their this past April. It's got a pretty rooftop restaurant that's best for drinks and great proximity to everything worth walking to in OSJ. It's not the fanciest, but we found it very charming. I think a large (their version of large) front room in April was about $160. For a pre-cruise dinner, I'd also recommend Aquaviva, just down from the hotel on Calle Fortaleza, for excellent seafood served in a mesmerizing ice-blue decor (try the ceviche).

Hands down and absolutely the rght choise is El Convento.

The location is superb

The evenng wine tasting is far better than you would magine.

Sitting on the rooftop by the pool or in the hot tub is great.

The hotel is clean, private, and has great prices if you take advantage of their online offers.

Stayed there just a couple of months ago - rate this one a 10.

(If something goes wrong, they will try to make it right!)

www.elconvento.com

CruiseSusie:

We're having the same problem. We'll be flying in on December 29th for the sailing of the Princess Crown December 30th cruise. I'm finding most hotels want a 2 night stay.

Can anyone tell me if the International Terminal is in close proximity to Terminal 3 & 4. I'm not sure which pier the ship will be leaving from.

Thanks.

Marge,

I called Princess and they told me all the Crown cruises are leaving from Paseo Concepcion de Garcia - Pier #4 East. I'm going to continue to search for hotels and if I find one that will let us stay for the one night, I'll let you know. I know Pier 4 is in Old San Juan, but I'm not sure how far the other areas in San Juan are from the pier.

Susan

Clubber - thanks for the link - it was very helpful.

Marge - The Holiday Inn Express doesn't have a 2 night minimum. Its within 3 miles of the pier and seems ok. I read some of the reviews and none were negative. The price is good, too - from 144 - 152 per night. I'll look around a little more and let you know what I find.

Susan

This past January we stayed at Hotel Milano, right in the heart of Old San Juan, and were very pleased with the location. A simple small hotel, but clean with a very friendly staff. Although the website says minimum 2 night stay - I called the toll free number and was able to book a one night stay prior to boarding the ship. I think we paid about $155 for the two of us (we were overlooking the street - I believe the rooms in the back are a little less expensive, but only have a small window). It's walking distance to the pier - but you would need a cab with luggage. It is rated rated very high with http://www.tripadvisor.com

Do enjoy Old San Juan - we love it and will be returning soon - I hope!

Kaye

Kaye,

Thanks so much for the information on the Hotel Milano. I'll call their toll free number and reserve our room. We were resigned to the Holiday Inn Express - not really a great choice, but the only one we thought would allow us to stay one night. The Hotel Milano is a much nicer hotel in a great location. Thanks again.

Susan

zductive - Thanks for the info on El Convento. I checked their online offers - the price is great, but they require a 2 night minimum stay and we can only stay one night.

Susan

I am staying for one night for the Crown Princess cruise at El Convento in April. You should call the hotel directly as they may ease the restrictions for you. They have a toll-free number on their website.

Susan,

Yes, Hotel Hilano has air conditioning. We were quite comfortable. It is not an upscale hotel as El convento is - I believe El Convento to be a 5 star hotel -with a larger price tag on it. We just wanted a clean place to sleep for one night in Old San Juan. We were only in the room to sleep and have a cocktail on the rooftop restaurant before retiring. We also stopped up in the morning before leaving for the pier for some juice and coffee.

Kaye

From other postings, I'm guessing that your one night is September 23rd?

Using www.orbitz.com I see a number of three star hotels that should work for you at around $150-$175 for that night. Even the Embassy Suites is just $179, with their manager's reception and full breakfast.

If I have the date wrong, or I'm missing something, please post.

gary

Archived