Theatre Seat Hogs

crossstitcher

Why do passengers think they have the right to save seats 30 minutes in advance of the evening show? Seats are first come first serve but some people just don't get it. I have seen people save entire rows for family and friends only to have several of the seats go unused while other guests end up standing in the back - how rude is that?

Why do passengers think they have the right to save seats 30 minutes in advance of the evening show? Seats are first come first serve but some people just don't get it. I have seen people save entire rows for family and friends only to have several of the seats go unused while other guests end up standing in the back - how rude is that?

Very rude. I think they are related to the chair hogs. Same species actually. I noticed last cruise that ushers were not allowing seats to be held but depends on the usher I imagine.

We were a little late getting out of late seating one evening and made it to the theater just a few minutes before the show was to start. I spotted a couple seats in the middle of a row and headed towards them. Just as we were about to sit down, the lady next to me said, icily, "Those seats are saved!" I said, "Thanks, I appreciate you doing that for us," and proceeded to enjoy the show.

So, if someone insists upon saving seats, just thank them for violating Princess' request because you really, really appreciate the favor. :D

We were a little late getting out of late seating one evening and made it to the theater just a few minutes before the show was to start. I spotted a couple seats in the middle of a row and headed towards them. Just as we were about to sit down, the lady next to me said, icily, "Those seats are saved!" I said, "Thanks, I appreciate you doing that for us," and proceeded to enjoy the show.

So, if someone insists upon saving seats, just thank them for violating Princess' request because you really, really appreciate the favor. :D

Ha ha, good comeback. I imagine they didnt know what to say back to you at that point. If someone can be that nervy as to hold seats and tell you that, they deserve a good dose of attitude!

I agree with most of you but I gotta tell ya that there could be a problem when I go straight to the theater and save a seat for the always demure one while she detours to the Ladies Room for the traditional "last-minute primp and pit stop."

If someone wants to take that seat and they get by me, they'd better be well dug in by the time she gets there. I'm 6 inches taller and 100 pounds heavier than she is and I know better than to tick her off - "demure" takes a vacation and it isn't pretty.

I think there's a big difference between keeping a seat during a potty break for one person and saving several seats. I would leave my wrap on the seat to prove I was there and will be again.

Sigh, problem is, there will always be inconsiderate people who believe that the rules do not apply to them. Saving LOTS of seats is absurd and just begging for a show down. I really love that comeback!

Besides, people shouldn't be talking during a show, so what's it matter if the big group is shoulder to shoulder? Take in the event and go chat about it together later.

Ka Hona,

We've been in the theater when they were announcing a reminder for the theater seat hogs about the "no saving seats rule". The CD said that it's not unreasonable to expect to be able to save a seat for your spouse, or traveling companion, while they are using the facilities. I think it's the folks who want to save 3 - 5 seats or even a whole row or two that are the seat hogs.

Julie

Hasn't (and wouldn't) bother me. I just sit down. Do I hear it? Sometimes! Do I care? No! If they get nasty, I have simply reminded them that seats cannot be saved and if they have a problem, go see an usher who might be able to explain it to them or make an exception in their case.

I do the same thing at the pool area. Now, realizing that everyone has to make a pit stop once in a while, I don't just jump on the first seat I see. But, I keep an eye out. If the chair is empty for 1/2 hour or so, it belongs to me. Period!

I recognize chair hogs for what they are. Sub-human, selfish, "me first", knuckle-dragging mouth-breathers".... They deserve no respect from me and they don't get it.:p

Ka Hona,

We've been in the theater when they were announcing a reminder for the theater seat hogs about the "no saving seats rule". The CD said that it's not unreasonable to expect to be able to save a seat for your spouse, or traveling companion, while they are using the facilities. I think it's the folks who want to save 3 - 5 seats or even a whole row or two that are the seat hogs.

Julie

We were just on the Diamond last week and the announcement was similar. It kindly reminded people that mass seat-saving is not allowed, though you are welcome to hold a single seat for your spouse or travelling companion. We still saw people trying it on, of course.

On our Sun cruise this happened...lady was saving most of row close to the front for her clan/friends. We just walked by and sat down. She was not happy but I simply told her that it was unreasonable to save 10-12 seats when the theatre was filling up. Two more couples behind us climbed in as well. She was not happy. I presume that she was the 'designated driver' until the rest of her crowd showed up 5 minutes before curtain call. She gave me a very nasty look but it fell on deaf ears and blind eyes so to speak.

Good answer. Especially if one person is reserving a whole bunch of seats.

What bothers me is I really do not like rubbing hips with someone I don't know and there have been times when there is maybe enough room for two people to sit and four will squeeze in the space, causing you to have to hold your breath almost to not end up in their laps.

Carol

Stupid newbie question - are these not single seats? Is it bench seating?

I wondered the same thing, based on the comment that there is room for two and four squeeze in. At least on the Diamond, it was single chair seating so I am not sure what that poster was referring to.

I wondered the same thing, based on the comment that there is room for two and four squeeze in. At least on the Diamond, it was single chair seating so I am not sure what that poster was referring to.
It is single seating on the Crown as well. There were people standing in the aisles (SRO) for some of the shows, so maybe that is what the person was refering to.

As far as saving seats go, if Princess allows it, people will do it. On the Crown, there was a lot of saving of seats going on. Later in the week, they put out that it would not be allowed, and the ushers enforced it.

HMMM -- I have no problem with seat hogs. If we see empty seats, we just go sit in them. If anybody says, "Those are saved," I calmly reply, "No saving of seats is allowed. Read your Princess Patter." Why be polite to impolite people? They are counting on the innate politeness of most people to allow them to take advantage of you. That is the height of rudeness and deserves no consideration.

Mike

Archived