Tahiti or Tahiti - Hawaii

Cruise Junky

Can't quite make up my mind what we want to do. We're in Vancouver so I figure my chances of going back to Hawaii are huge, but not sure about Tahiti. Two sea days vs. four sea days... Tahiti by itself is cheaper....any suggestions? I'm now leaning towards just 10 days in Tahiti.

Why not try the Papeete to Hawaii cruise or reverse? The best of both worlds in one cruise.

We did it back to back a few years ago and it was wonderful!

Is it the best of both worlds? I'm starting to think that you might miss a good part of Tahiti doing that. We've been to Hawaii a couple of times, but I'm pretty torn about either really focusing on Tahiti or doing the Tahiti - Hawaii. Tough decisions ;)

We have done both, Tahiti by itself for 10 days and Hawaii/Tahiti/Hawaii once and also Hawaii/Tahiti for 12 days one way, and then stops in both from LA to Sydney.

I don't feel we missed all that much of Tahiti on the Tahiti/Hawaii cruises as the first time we also had the stop at Chrstmas Island. Didn't get to stop on the R/T Hawaii/Tahiti as there had been a storm and the tenders couldn't get in.

I'm also in Vancouver and considering a Tahiti cruise for 2008. Personally, I'm going for the 10-day Tahiti only cruise. I've been to Hawaii and should I want to go back, it's a lot cheaper to go there - especially when you consider the airfare - than Tahiti. To me, Tahiti is more a once in a lifetime type trip.

But having said that I doubt you could go wrong with either cruise.

Katherine

We briefly considered doing the Tahiti-Hawaii cruise for our 25th anniversary next summer, then decided we wanted to see as many islands as possible since it will be a long time before we make it back, if ever. We can always do a Hawaii trip later. We will be there for 15 days total and that only leaves us with 1 week of vacation for the rest of next year. :eek:

Maybe after we retire we can do both B2B, like Hulagirl did this summer.

I'm also in Vancouver and considering a Tahiti cruise for 2008. Personally, I'm going for the 10-day Tahiti only cruise. I've been to Hawaii and should I want to go back, it's a lot cheaper to go there - especially when you consider the airfare - than Tahiti. To me, Tahiti is more a once in a lifetime type trip.

But having said that I doubt you could go wrong with either cruise.

Katherine

We think alike...that's exactly the angle I was looking at.

I said the same exact thing the first time we went to Tahiti, a once in a lifetime trip, an anniversary gift for us from a wonderful mother. In fact, I can still remember the ship pulling away from the last island telling myself how beautiful it was and how I would probably never get to see it again. Well, that was 5 trips to Tahiti (one way or another) ago and I would still go back tomorrow.

I hope you enjoy whichever cruise or trip you decide to take.

Wow - what a great gift!!!

We're planning on going in 2008 (hoping for around September) so we'll see what Princess has to offer. I wish they'd offer the same one as HAL, the 30 day West Coast to Hawaii and Tahiti return...how nice it would be not have to fly to Tahiti.

It's funny, I'd been so stuck that we would be doing the Tahiti to Hawaii, but only recently started to question that. Either way, I don't think I can go wrong ;)

Actually, if you fly ATN, it isn't that bad. We were really dreading the flight this last time and the ATN flights, even in economy, are quite nice. Especially if you can arrange to get the two seats across by the window. We did that going down when we could pre-reserve seats and it was much nicer than coming home (where we could not reserve our seats until we got to the airport). ARGH!

Hi Tina: Glad you are going to Tahiti next summer. You will have a wonderful time.

Yes, we did 2 b2b cruises this past July. Spent a total of 25 days on the whole trip, with 22 being on the ship. We did the r/t Cook Islands and then stayed on the ship for the cruise back to Hawaii. Had originally thought we would fly over, do the cruise and then stay for a week after the cruise. After looking at prices, we decided to just stay on the ship and sail back to Honolulu for a much faster flight back to Seattle. Will say that I'm so glad we did this. The 10 days just weren't enough. The time went so fast and we just wouldn't have been ready to fly home. Unfortunately we had rain for a full day in Bora Bora, Huahine and some rain in Raiatea to make me feel a bit cheated. At least we got back to two of the islands and had sun.

The big drawback to the trip back to Hawaii is you spend such a short time in Tahiti seeing the islands. It is pretty split with the time there and in Hawaii. So for the first time I think you would really enjoy the cruise around the islands and then spend a couple days afterwards at one of the hotels relaxing. That last day onboard when the cruise is disembarking while the next cruise is embarking is a bit of a mess and a long day if you are flying home. To me it definitely would be easier to just stay at least a day there and fly home when it isn't so rushed with so many people.

Whatever you chose though, you will love this cruise. I was worried that the ship would feel so small and that would get old, but it never did. Even my 16 year old daughter loved it and said she could have spent a few more days on the ship and have them be just sea days. It is just a wonderful experience.

Have a good trip next when you go. I know you will love it.

Hulagirl

We just came back from the July 12th Tahiti to Hawaii cruise, we were on Hulagirl's 2nd part of their b/b. It was our fourth cruise to Tahiti and first cruise to Hawaii, although we've been to Oahu and Maui a few times.When we

started planning this trip, I was all set just to do the 10 day Tahiti/Cook Islands. My husband wanted to go somewhere different for a change(Not me, Tahiti and Her Islands are my favorite places to go, I don't really want to go anywhere else). So, I figured, we'll go on the Tahiti/Hawaii 12 day cruise and at least I'll still get to Tahiti and Her Islands. We flew in to Tahiti 3 days early and this time stayed at the Tahiti Intercontinental. Then stayed 4 days in Honolulu, our longest trip, yet! As much fun, as we had on this trip(mainly due to all the wonderful CC friends we met before hand) we both felt, it was to rushed to have 1 day at each of the islands in French Polynesia(actually in the Hawaiian Islands too).

When we go again(notice, I didn't say if I go again), we will either do a land trip or the 10 day cruise to Tahiti and the Cook's and hopefully stay a few day's at the beginning as well, as the end. It was perfect, when Renaissance owned the ship, the ship just stayed around the Tahitian islands, so you had two days at each island(1 in Huahine) and the cruise was 12 days.

Like Hulagirl suggested, since this will be your first trip to Tahiti, I would make the most out of it and spend as much time there, as possible. The islands are truly amazing, I can almost guarantee, you won't be ready to leave, when the time comes.

Just for your information, word has it that French Polynesia, is like Hawaii was a 100 years ago.

Good luck with your decision, like Hulagirl said, you'll have a wonderful time with either decision!

We have done both Tahiti itineraries and have been to Hawaii also. Tahiti is so much more beautiful than Hawaii and is not as commercial as Hawaii has become. Of course, if you have never been to either place I would do the Tahiti/Hawaii (the flight isn't as long from Hawaii to the mainland as it is from Papeete) to see which one you prefer and then look forward to another cruise just to that location at a later time. :D

Last year around this same time my DW and I had the same thoughts. We eliminated Hawaii for the same reasons, been there done that, plus the air-hotel packages are so cheap to Hawaii. Then it was which Tahiti cruise and which boat, TP or PG. Believe it or not, when I posted that question here I got no replies. We picked the TP for value and allowed us to stay post-cruise in a OWB. I'd love to sail on the PG, but have yet to read a comparison post from cruisers that have done both. We chose the Cooks by luck, because it was only last week I read the coolmotheranddaughter(sp) review (they have done both, Cook and Marquesas). To summarize their review the Cook's route has more water activities and the Marquesas' more land activities. Both routes are beautiful beyond belief, just a matter of what you want to do. It's a lot of fun reading through the posts and the travel books. Have a great cruise whatever you decide. We leave next week so I'll let you know if we made the right choice.

Susan, we are flying in a day early. I followed that thread on RCI about the woman whose flight was canceled DEN - MIA, and followed her plight all afternoon (her friend was updating the thread). Everyone was giving suggestions on how to shave minutes and she was able to board just before the gangway was closed. I would never consider traveling the day of my cruise after reading that...I was exhausted!

We do plan to stay 3 nights post-cruise on Moorea. After flying 3.5 hours to LAX then 7.5 to PPT, I want to make the most of our time there so we're biting the bullet and using 2/3 of our vacation time for this trip. I'm just afraid that I've been dreaming of it for so long that it will be anti-climactic when the day finally arrives and we step onto the Tahitian Princess. Oh, such problems!

We have done both Tahiti itineraries and have been to Hawaii also. Tahiti is so much more beautiful than Hawaii and is not as commercial as Hawaii has become. Of course, if you have never been to either place I would do the Tahiti/Hawaii (the flight isn't as long from Hawaii to the mainland as it is from Papeete) to see which one you prefer and then look forward to another cruise just to that location at a later time. :D

We just returned from Tahiti after doing the Hawaii to Tahiti cruise on the TP. It was great!!! We tried to do the Tahiti to Hawaii but it was full (almost a year ago). I liked the the Hawaii to Tahiti better because the Islands just kept getting better and better. Hawaii is always great but Tahiti was beatiful beyond belief. So maybe going the other way would have been a letdown. I was so vacationed out that on the return flight I slept 6 hours! The service on ATN was great the US airlines so take a lesson from them. Any way you do it these trips are the best. I hope to do it agian.:cool:

We just returned from the July 24th sailing (Hawaii to Tahiti). We had visited most of the Hawaiian Islands before on extended land vacations, but this was a first for Hawaii by cruise (or Tahiti). It was a FANTASTIC trip, the Tahitian Princess is just a WONDERFUL WEE LITLE SHIP (Iain & Moiria - that's for you). We made some wonderful friends from Cruise Critic and can't wait to return.

I'm glad we selected this itinerary - although, I will not repeat it again. We will sail the TP again to try the other 10 day cruises just out of Tahiti. Just wanted more time on each island.....and prefer land vacations in Hawaii. We loved the five sea days - including our stop at Christmas Island - and needed the down time after the whirlwind visits to Hawaiian ports. The Society Islands were by far the most beautiful places I've ever seen, surpassing all expectations. The captain and executive staff were - in one word - OUTSTANDING.

I will post a complete review soon - but you will love the Tahitian Princess - whichever itinerary you choose.

To my CC Friends: Hope everyone got home safely and are recovered from the return to reality. (school starts Thursday ) :-(

Sandy

Hulagirl - we are thinking of doing Tahiti next year....we have a 16 year old daughter also. How did the TP work for your teen? Did they have a teen center and how many other teens were on board?

When we travel with our daughter, we have to be sure she is having a good time, so we can have a good time too!!!

Thanks for your thoughts...

Having done the TP 4 times, twice when it was Renaissance, in Tahiti and heading back for B2B in October for 20 days. I would choose the 10 day. We have traveled all over Hawaii and enjoyed it, but Tahiti is a world by itself.

Hillslife: I had to laugh when I read your post. Truly, I completely understand what you are saying. Can't tell you how many times I've said over the years that when she is happy so are we.

This was our daughters 14th cruise with Princess, so she does pretty well no matter. But I was really concerned about this ship with it being so small. There were definitly some teens on the ship, I think it was 22 - 25 of them for both sailings. Can't remember exactly. Ours is pretty quiet, so she doesn't join in much, but I think they all had a good time. I did see several together, so don't worry. Best advice is definitly go during our summer months so there will be other teens onboard. Princess does put people on the ship in charge of kids programs when there are enough to need it. No dedicated teen area at all, but they seemed to manage.

If you do the r/t Cook Islands, you will be pretty busy, so it won't make a lot of difference either.

Have a wonderful time. All of you will love the whole experience.

Hulagirl

Thanks Hula girl......we usually travel in the summer due to scheduling - so I was hoping that would boost our odds of teens. She has been on 7-8 cruises and is very social...so that is a big part of the cruise for her - even if we have a 6am shore excursion!!! :) Appreciate your info.

You will have no problem then!!! She will have a great time. I was worried about the ship being small, but it was so nice and we loved it.

Have a wonderful cruise on the Crown. It looks like a beutiful ship.

Hulagirl

We just returned from the July 24th TP sailing from Hawaii to Tahiti (Hi Sandy, Gary, Ken, Nancy, Iain, Moira....and all others) and, though we enjoyed this cruise and all our new CC friends, we have decided that it will be a long time before we go back to Tahiti again. If we do, it will definitely be on a combo Hawaii/Tahiti cruise b/c we enjoyed Hawaii far more than Tahiti.

By the way, everything (and I do mean everything) on the TP was perfect and top-notch - we did not have a single complaint. Our experience on this cruise was outstanding and exceptional. We love Princess cruises and we've already signed up for a Mediterranean cruise next year! We find it to be an excellent cruise line and a great value for the expense.

While we found Tahiti breathtakingly beautiful, our biggest gripe was the level of service we received once we disembarked the cruise in Tahiti and stayed a few days post-cruise in both Moorea and Papeete. The service at the Sheraton Moorea (we stayed in pricey overwater bungalow for 3 days) was just horrible! For $700 per night, we were appalled that we were treated like second class citizens. Early on, it became apparent that the hotel staff catered to the French guests over the American guests. Many of the American guests at our hotel shared our sentiments - they, too, felt the level of service did not meet their expectations. We experienced rude service throughout our stay as well as substantially long check-in and check-out times, numerous requests and a three-hour wait for clean towels, "no-shows" for repair requests in our bungalow, blatant refusal for late checkout consideration, missing reservations, bad seating in the restaurants, etc. While the Sheraton Tahiti in Papeete was slightly better, they still forgot to make our dinner reservations as well as our hotel transfer reservations during our four-stay at the hotel prior to our flight. Good thing we allowed plenty of advance time to get to the airport or we would have been in worse shape for flight check-in. Maybe this is a Sheraton issue and we certainly intend to report our guest service experiences to Starwood Preferred Guest but, unfortunately, it has not inspired us to visit Tahiti again....at least for a very long while.

Kimberly

Archived