Latest Security Situation in Britain

Nickwolf

Well to give my experience, I flew twice yesterday between two UK airports - Nottingham - Glasgow AM and then returned back PM.

The only problem I had was I had a bottle of water in my hand luggage which I had to drink before going through security. They were very strict on the dimensions of your hand baggage 45cm (17.7") x 35cm (14.7") x 16cm (6.2") whioch includes any handles/wheels etc.. People behind who had slightly bigger hand baggage were turned back and had to re-queue to check-in the extra bag so do measure beforehand..

No fluids means that!, one lady had an expensive bottle of perfume which she had to throw away!

Of course most people in the UK share this opinion. The television crews spend lots of time finding someone who will complain in order to make a story. You are being naiive in my opinion.

Jane

x

I think a lot of people think that there is an element of things suiting the government.

After all, how many of these alterts have we had that came to nothing?

It's odd that Blair stays away, leaving Reid centre stage to upstage Brown - when Reid is far more likely to carry the Blairite flag.

I'm not saying that it is a fabricaton. But I do wonder if the government are exploiting it.

Anyone remember the tanks at Heathrow?

Right now, I'm less concerned about what is allowable as carry on and what is not. Rather, I'm very rattled about delays and cancellation of flights. If I were flying tomorrow, one of my flights would depart one hour later (and arrive one hour later) and another flight would have been cancelled (Rome to London). Does anyone want to hazard a guess as to when these delay and cancellation problems will abate at LHR? (I'll be flying out in about three weeks to LHR from LAX).

After all, how many of these alterts have we had that came to nothing? ... I'm not saying that it is a fabricaton. But I do wonder if the government are exploiting it.
It's worth remembering that in the world of intelligence and security, there's a lot of information that can't be safely released to the public. Even today, there are people who literally risk their lives to get vital information to the government about what the bad guys are up to - that isn't something that's confined to historical "Boys' Own" action movies. Alerts that come to nothing often mean only that the alert itself scared off the plotters from executing their plans. Those who advise the government on security threats have absolutely no interest in making things out of nothing, or making things to be more than they are: they have more and much better things to do in their lives.

Does anyone want to hazard a guess as to when these delay and cancellation problems will abate at LHR? (I'll be flying out in about three weeks to LHR from LAX).
I think that cancellations are unlikely to be a problem in three weeks' time.

I'd be more concerned about continuing delays, though. I'm afraid that these are squarely the fault of the DHS. They insist that US-bound aircraft are boarded and pushed back from the gate. Only then can the final passenger manifest be sent to the US, because only then can the airline know who is actually onboard. The DHS then insists that they must clear the manifest before the aircraft is allowed to take off. And that process has been taking them 3 hours or more. Apart from the discourtesy of trapping all the passengers on board, yet still on the ground, during the process, this is why US-bound flights (and, inevitably, the aircraft returns from the US to London) have been so delayed.

It's worth remembering that in the world of intelligence and security, there's a lot of information that can't be safely released to the public. Even today, there are people who literally risk their lives to get vital information to the government about what the bad guys are up to - that isn't something that's confined to historical "Boys' Own" action movies. Alerts that come to nothing often mean only that the alert itself scared off the plotters from executing their plans. Those who advise the government on security threats have absolutely no interest in making things out of nothing, or making things to be more than they are: they have more and much better things to do in their lives.

True.

But their political masters do have axes to grind.

Well to give my experience, I flew twice yesterday between two UK airports - Nottingham - Glasgow AM and then returned back PM.

The only problem I had was I had a bottle of water in my hand luggage which I had to drink before going through security. They were very strict on the dimensions of your hand baggage 45cm (17.7") x 35cm (14.7") x 16cm (6.2") whioch includes any handles/wheels etc.. People behind who had slightly bigger hand baggage were turned back and had to re-queue to check-in the extra bag so do measure beforehand..

No fluids means that!, one lady had an expensive bottle of perfume which she had to throw away!

Question ... Are the 45cm(17.7") wide x 35xm(14.7") long x 16cm(6.2") deep/high dimensions absolute or, can these be totaled for a maxium bag size as is done with many airlines? For example - bag size not the exceed a total of 45cm +35cm + 16cm = a 96cm width/length/deep size. If the dimensions are absolute ... it looks like this is a briefcase size rather than a small carry-on bag. What is being allowed "now" for LGW to USA flights? Thanks - SeaFish

Nickwolf - Thanks for the info. Unfortunately - I believe you are right. Sure can't take my camera, etc., in that (attache) size carry on. And - I dred packing my camera, binos, in my check-in bag. Just have a bad feeling how that may work out. Maybe things will change ... but - we're not counting on it. SeaFish

If the dimensions are absolute ... it looks like this is a briefcase size rather than a small carry-on bag.
It's being officially described as "similar to a small laptop bag". Which is a bit firmer than either "briefcase size" or "small carry-on bag" - my briefcases are much bigger than my carry-on bag!

I took a hard-cased briefcase which was just on the limit, whilst my phone/camera etc could be put into it I doubt I could have got my camcorder in as well..

And yes as mentioned they are absolute, at most airports they have a box near check-in if your bag does not fit inside the box then it has to be checked..

Globaliser + Single Cruiser ... thanks very much for your help. Air travel these days is bad enough without all these restrictions ... proposed attendant strike, etc. However - hopefully all this security IS doing some good. We try to travel light - but...with the new rules a 3rd check-in case is now needed. And - with the limited carry-on bag restrictions out of UK - this size barely covers space for meds, travel essentials, etc. This means finding new carry-on bags that meets this strange size. SeaFish

Seafish,

I believe the sizes are absolute. I have heard the type of bag allowed described as a "medium briefcase".

THIS is probably a pretty good guide to what is allowable from LGW.

Nick.

We flew from LGW on August 20th.....they are absolutely firm on this policy:

The cabin bag should be no bigger than 45cm wide x 35cm long x 16cm deep/high (17.7" wide × 13.7" long × 6.2" deep/high), including wheels, handles, side pockets - equivalent to a small laptop bag or rucksack.

They had boxes this size and if your carryon did not fit in it....they made you go back and check it....no exceptions.

We were patted down twice, x rayed, and everything was hand searched. We flew American....our 2:30 flight was cancelled......do not know why......but they got us on an earlier 10:30 flight to Dallas and another earlier flight to SD.

Question ... Are the 45cm(17.7") wide x 35xm(14.7") long x 16cm(6.2") deep/high dimensions absolute or, can these be totaled for a maxium bag size as is done with many airlines? For example - bag size not the exceed a total of 45cm +35cm + 16cm = a 96cm width/length/deep size. If the dimensions are absolute ... it looks like this is a briefcase size rather than a small carry-on bag. What is being allowed "now" for LGW to USA flights? Thanks - SeaFish

The dimensions are absolute....and you have to check it if it exceeds any of the three dimensions....because it will not fit in the box indicated in my post above.

The dimensions are absolute....and you have to check it if it exceeds any of the three dimensions....because it will not fit in the box indicated in my post above.
Flying from London City on Saturday, there was no particularly strict size checking.

Flying back from Edinburgh yesterday was a different matter. There were template boxes all along the security queue. Bags that looked suspect were being checked by the queue-combers, who were also taking prohibited items from people who still had them. There were, as usual, people who thought they could get away with it and as a result were getting the full dismantling after the X-ray scanners.

Wow! Did I miss this one on the initial read through or was there a subtle change in the security guidelines.

According to the latest reading of the guidelines, passengers who take a liquid prescription in their carry-on have to take a sip of it in front of the security officers. The same with baby milk and baby food. One of the parents must take a taste of the milk or baby food in the presence of a security officer. Was this stipulation in the original security measures or is this a change?

This is one of the original changes. One of the people charged with conspiracy to murder today is a mother of an 8 month old baby and the suggestion is that a baby's bottle might have been used.

Jane

x

I guess I better remember not to grimace when I taste the baby food.

• 5 weeks later...

An announcement was made today that restrictions will be eased a bit on Friday 22 September:-

From Friday 22 September:

All passengers starting their journey at a UK airport and those transferring from international flights at a UK airport will be required to meet the following requirements:

Cabin Baggage

ONE item only of cabin baggage will be permitted through the airport security search point, the dimensions of this item must not exceed: a maximum length of 56 cm, width of 45 cm and depth of 25 cm (including wheels, handles, side pockets etc.). Other bags, such as handbags, may be carried within the single item of cabin baggage. All items carried by passengers will be x-ray screened.

Mobility aids

No change. Pushchairs, walking aids and wheelchairs are permitted but will be screened.

Liquids

No change. Restrictions remain in force, meaning that no liquids of any type are permitted through the airport security search point, other than the following items:

• Essential medicines in liquid form sufficient and essential for the flight (e.g. diabetic kit), as long as it is verified as authentic. Medicines in solid form continue to be permitted.
  • Baby milk and liquid baby food (the contents of each bottle or jar must be tasted by the accompanying passenger).

To help their progress through search points, passengers are advised not to include items capable of containing liquids (e.g. bottles, flasks, tubes, cans, plastic containers etc.) in their cabin baggage.

NOTE: The definition of liquids includes gels, pastes, lotions, liquid/solid mixtures and the contents of pressurised containers, e.g. toothpaste, hair gel, drinks, soups, syrups, perfume, deodorant, shaving foam, aerosols, etc.

Large electrical items / Laptops

No change. Laptops and other large electrical items (e.g. a large hairdryer) will still have to be removed from cabin baggage and screened separately. (Note: a laptop bag will be regarded as your one item that is allowed in the cabin).

In addition to the above, passengers boarding flights to the USA and the items they are carrying, including those acquired after the airport security search point, will continue to be subjected to secondary search at the gate. Any liquids discovered will be removed from the passenger.

Musical instruments

Musical instruments which do not fit in the permitted cabin baggage size (maximum length of 56 cm, width of 45 cm and depth of 25 cm (including wheels, handles, side pockets etc.)) will be allowed as a second item of cabin baggage, and will need to be screened. Larger instruments (e.g. cellos) are also permitted into the cabin following screening. However, passengers should check with their airlines if special arrangements (e.g. purchasing an extra seat) for these large instruments need to be made.

Oversized baggage

All other items of oversized luggage will be required to be placed in the aircraft hold.

Flights to the US

Passengers boarding flights to the USA and items they are carrying, including those acquired after the central screening point, will be subjected to secondary search at the gate. Any liquids discovered will be removed from the passenger.

• 2 weeks later...

A further relaxation has been announced today.

Passengers on flights from the UK to the US can now bring on board liquids that they buy after the security checkpoint. This brings US-bound flights into line with flights to other destinations.

You still cannot take liquids through the security checkpoint.

And there is an exception: NW flights from Gatwick, on which liquids are still not allowed.

Archived