Latest Security Situation in Britain

Nickwolf

Britain's security level has been raised to "critical" by the government (i.e. imminent threat of terrorist attack).

There are massive security operations at the airports which are expected to cause serious delays, particularly to flights to and from The US.

There is more information HERE .

If you are due to come here in the next few days you will need to monitor the situation.

Nick.

Just so you don't need to hit links, flights in the UK will not allow ANYTHING but the most ESSENTIAL items to go on-board with you, these so far are limited to passport, wallet, glasses but no cases, medicine required for the flight.

I am so sorry to hear this guys. the news here said 21 people were arrested who were planning mid flight bombings-so I guess more suicide/terorrist attacks from the air.

All the flights targeted were from London to the US.

This will not stop us from coming next year. Heck we live in a dangerous world we could just as easily be attacked right here at home.

My parents are currently flying into London this morning. First they had a LOOOOONNNNGGG delay out of Atlanta, and now this... I don't think they will make their cruise on time (Golden Princess). Does anyone know what cruise lines do for late passengers?

My parents are currently flying into London this morning. First they had a LOOOOONNNNGGG delay out of Atlanta, and now this... I don't think they will make their cruise on time (Golden Princess). Does anyone know what cruise lines do for late passengers?

It's usually up to the passenger to get oneself to the next port. But in this situation, where MANY people will be late, I would hope the ships would delay their departure by a few hours.

If Princess sold the air travel and transfers to your parents then the cruise line should take the responsibility to get them to the cruise ship.

We're scheduled to fly out in a few weeks for a land vacation, come heck or high water we'll be there!

It's going to be hard not to pack shampoo and such out of habit but it gives me an excuse to pick up some LUSH bath products we can't get at home.

Britain's security level has been raised to "critical" by the government (i.e. imminent threat of terrorist attack).

There are massive security operations at the airports which are expected to cause serious delays, particularly to flights to and from The US.

There is more information HERE .

If you are due to come here in the next few days you will need to monitor the situation.

Nick.

It sounds as if the law enforcement agencies in the UK did one heck of a job. Saved thousands of lives. Those of you in the UK should be very proud of them. There are many grateful people.

It sounds as if the law enforcement agencies in the UK did one heck of a job. Saved thousands of lives. Those of you in the UK should be very proud of them. There are many grateful people.

I echo this sentiment, and just wanted to say that I thought of you guys instantly when I heard the news this morning. I had to come here to see if y'all were ok...

I agree too:) These people are so hard to find. I commend the British government for their success.

We're scheduled to fly out in a few weeks for a land vacation, come heck or high water we'll be there!

It's going to be hard not to pack shampoo and such out of habit but it gives me an excuse to pick up some LUSH bath products we can't get at home.

As I understand it, these products will have to go in the hold. You will not be allowed to carry liquids of any kind in your hand luggage.

I can see this becoming the normal state of affairs from now on.

Nick.

As I understand it, these products will have to go in the hold. You will not be allowed to carry liquids of any kind in your hand luggage.

I can see this becoming the normal state of affairs from now on.

Nick.

Thanks Nick.:)

Since you saw this, I was wondering if you could tell me how Gatwick is regarding luggage theft? We are trying to decide if we should ship our video camera and ipod before we fly or if it would be safe in the luggage.

Any comments from Brits as to if we should ship our valuables ahead of time?

I agree too:) These people are so hard to find. I commend the British government for their success.

It's a pity most people in the UK don't seem to share this opinion. All we're hearing here seems to be people complaining about their holidays being inconvenienced, never mind the fact they could have been blown up.

It's a pity most people in the UK don't seem to share this opinion. All we're hearing here seems to be people complaining about their holidays being inconvenienced, never mind the fact they could have been blown up.
They are definitely a small minority. Reports from "the front" on Thursday and Friday suggest that almost everyone was calmly and quietly putting up with the chaos and inconvenience. The vast majority of people understand why it's necessary.

It is an amazing feat that the UK government was able to defeat the plot. I think we appreciate it even more in America because the clues here were missed prior 9/11. These people are so hard to find, our guard was down. It is absolutely commendable that individuals from your government were able to perpetrate the terrorist cell in time to save us from a catastrophy.

I am having a hard time understanding how citizens can turn on their own people and try to harm them. They are given far better opportunities in the UK then they ever would have received in their own native land. I understand that some are poor but guess what, a lot of 3rd and 4th generation immigrants grew up extremely poor also, that's no reason to try to kill your own people. I just don't understand it, it's so sad. No reason to try to deliberately try to murder civilians. We as individuals have no personal control over what our government does and as they are living in the same country they should understand that.

That is just sad. I guess life is cheap if you are inconvienced??????

well you know we said before this happened--that we would come and we will go on the tube too-there was a person on our roll calll thread for the Jewel of the Seas Sept 10, 2007 TA-that canceled out because of their fear of London being bombed again. Ofcourse all of us got cancled as that TA is not happening now-but I thought when they changed their cruise to a Hawaii one-I would not worry about it-as we never know if or when we are in "the wrong place at the wrong time" you just never know-and I am not going to live my life in fear and stay locked in my home.

The threat level in the UK has been lowered from "critical" to "severe". As the peak of the danger appears to have passed, it seems that most cabin baggage will be allowed on board again, possibly from today (Monday 14 August).

More details will get posted on airlines' and airports' websites in due course, but it's the wee small hours here at present.

Edited to add: stace11 has found an official announcement - see this post.

I am having a hard time understanding how citizens can turn on their own people and try to harm them.
I don't think they see anyone outside their own little worlds as "their own people". Anyone who isn't part of what they are - even the majority of Muslims - are, to them, unbelievers. The fact that you may have a particular citizenship is nothing but a label.

I just want to jump in here for a moment and say thanks to you all from the UK who are keeping us posted as to the status at your end. It's definitely helping us as we prepapre for our upcoming trip as I'm sure it's helping many others. Thank you!

Cheryl

Don't pack your hand luggage yet. Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted all say they are not lifting the restrictions "for a few days".
Further update:-

Latest reports (although I've yet to see these confirmed officially) are that Stansted, like Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow, should have started the new rules at noon today (Monday 14 August). Heathrow and Gatwick should start at 0430 tomorrow (Tuesday 15 August). Southampton says that it had already started this morning.

Those are the BAA airports. I don't know the full roster of non-BAA airports, but I know that London City is already operating the new rules as well.

Archived