Computer Virus Warning by DHS

C 2 C

Hi Everyone,

I always purchase my Norton Anti-Virus in December (as that is when I bought my computer - so it's an annual thing). Well, recently, my Anti-Virus is telling me that my subscription has expired. As I am still 5 months away from my anniversary date, I'm confused and irritated. If I were to call Norton, they would want to charge me $30 just for the call. I'm not about to pay more for a program I'm suppose to have for another 5 months. Would those of you who are computer savvy please help me with your advice?

I haven't had computer problems until my DH allowed his best friend to move in with us. Sheesh!

:p

And my PCs have been virus free since 1985. It isn't the hardware or the software that makes a difference, its the nut behind the keyboard... :rolleyes:

At the moment there are between 2 and 4 firewalls (depending on which of my computers I'm using) between me and the great unwashed. At least two anti-spam/anti-virus filters between me and my mail server. And just like I avoid certain neighborhoods when I'm out walking or driving, I avoid certain "web-neighborhoods" when I'm out surfing...

Are you implying that Microsoft doesn't release their own security updates? I get every security update that is released... automatically... and I have a choice as to whether to allow automatic installation when received or to install at a time of my choosing. But I NEVER have to go looking for a patch.

I also get the security updates automaticly and have them downloaded...However when I go to the update site and check they always seem to find some more updates I haven't received...I am beginning to lose confidence in the automatic downloads...Anyone else noticing this?

Are you implying that Microsoft doesn't release their own security updates? I get every security update that is released... automatically... and I have a choice as to whether to allow automatic installation when received or to install at a time of my choosing. But I NEVER have to go looking for a patch.

Feathers down, Grumpy ... I'm not implying anything of the sort. All I'm saying is that there ARE other ways of avoiding the "serious threat" that Homeland Security was warning us of. One of those is to use a Mac, for Macs simply are not affected by this specific problem. This isn't to say that they might, some day, become affected by malicious attacks ... just that they are not right now, and hence such patches are not required to avoid these "serious threats."

Hmmm, my guess is that all of that bad stuff is being written by those Mac lovin' Microsoft hatin' people. We Microsoft users are just to kind and gentle to return the "favor":D

You mean the Malicious viruses, etc? Hardly. :)

But ... I use Microsoft Office, too. :) So ...

Archived