Computer Virus Warning by DHS

C 2 C

There are several sites now warning of a serious threat to your computers unless you get the latest Microsoft patch:

Homeland Security wants you to clean your Windows

8/10/2006 11:43:13 AM, by Nate Anderson

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) yesterday issued an unusual press release urging Windows users to apply a specific security patch from Microsoft. That patch, MS06-040, was just released as part of Microsoft's monthly cycle of security updates, so most home users should already be secure. IT departments and home users who have disabled automatic updates should install the patch as soon as possible. As the DHS ominously notes, "attempts to exploit vulnerabilities in operating systems routinely occur within 24 hours of the release of a security patch."

While the DHS rarely issues patch advisories, the department seems keen to prevent massive damage from another worm like MSBlast, which made the rounds several years ago and brought down computers around the world. The concern appears to be justified; both CERT and Microsoft claim that they have already seen code which exploits this particular vulnerability.

And my PCs have been virus free since 1985. It isn't the hardware or the software that makes a difference, its the nut behind the keyboard... :rolleyes:

And what have you had to do to ensure this?

What kind of security software have you installed?

Etc?

No computer is entirely invulnerable. Mac OS X can, theoretically, be attacked. But, thus far, all attempts to do so via the internet have failed.

Just be sure that if you think you need a Windows patch, you go directly to the Windows website with your browser. Clicking on a web address within an unsolicited e-mail or pop-up may take you to a bogus site and provide you with the very virus you were trying to avoid.

With the introduction and popularity of Mac OS X, Apple Computer has become an increasingly bigger target for viruses and hacker attacks, according to a report from anti-virus software vendor Symantec Corp.

"Contrary to popular belief, the Macintosh has not always been a safe haven from," said the 96-page report, entitled the Symantec Report, obtained by The Mac Observer. "It is now clear that the Mac OS is increasingly becoming a target for the malicious activity that is more commonly associated with Microsoft and various Unix-based operating systems. Symantec believes that as the popularity of Apple's new platform continues to grow, so too will the number of attacks directed at it."

"I think it's fair to say that Mac users today shouldn't believe they're impervious to attacks," David Cole, Symantec product management security response director, told TMO.

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2005/03/23.4.shtml

For what it is worth.... Be ever vigilant...

Personally I use a multi-layered kind of approach. Since we have a hard-wired home network, running multiple computers almost constantly, with always on Internet it's important that we guard against hackers. Hackers don't have to have you open an email or visit a "bad" site to get to your machine. We attack this two ways. One, we use a router so we can share our DSL (or cable when we lived in Virginia) modem. Two, the anti-virus software we use is also Internet security software that provides a firewall. Used to get by with just the software and never had a problem but I could look at the software log and see the attempts. Once I put in the router even those stopped showing up as the router "fools" the hacker and he/she can't typically get through it to our computers. Of course, the final and maybe best line of defense is not to open emails or email attachments unless they're from somebody you know and trust. Even then you don't know if they've been infected and are unintentionally passing the virus on but anti-virus ought to catch those few occasions.

You might also try the open source alternatives -- Firefox for browser (or others), Thunderbird for mail, and Open Office for writing and spreadsheets. Linux is a good alternative for your operating system as well. Firefox and Thunderbird are available for Windows and do not harbor viruses quite like Internet Explorer and Outlook

Rich

Thanks Namvet. As I've said, while there are ZERO Mac Viruses "in the wild," nevertheless it is true that even Macs are not "impervious."

Your citation from Symantec, however, is suspect because it is an attempt to drum up business for software that does NOTHING on a Mac. The source you quoted stated:

"Contrary to popular belief, the Macintosh has not always been a safe haven from," said the 96-page report, entitled the Symantec Report, obtained by The Mac Observer.

Indeed ... during the days of the old Mac OS 7 and OS 8 -- back in the early 1990s -- there were some real Mac viruses that caused some people some trouble and occasioned the need for security software, etc. However, none of these viruses functions against OS X. To this date there have been NO Mac OS X viruses discovered propagating "in the wild." Mac Security procedures are such that its far more difficult (I won't say "impossible") for a virus to self-propogate. One can stupidly install malicious software, but even then the OS is restrictive in what it allows you to do and not do UNLESS one accesses the Root ... and most Mac users never do this. Even those of us who know HOW to don't because we don't have to to do everything we want to do.

"It is now clear that the Mac OS is increasingly becoming a target for the malicious activity that is more commonly associated with Microsoft and various Unix-based operating systems. Symantec believes that as the popularity of Apple's new platform continues to grow, so too will the number of attacks directed at it."

For the number of attacks to grow there has to be a FIRST attack. Of the two that have been identified, one was taylor made to demonstrate how exceedingly difficult it is to get one to work and the other isn't a virus but a technique for manually accessing an UNSECURED wireless port on the Mac ... a port that is NOT left unsecured in its default setting.

"I think it's fair to say that Mac users today shouldn't believe they're impervious to attacks," David Cole, Symantec product management security response director, told TMO.

I don't know very many Mac users who believe that they are "impervious." That we are FAR SAFER than Windows users is a FACT, however. Claims can be made that our level of ease and virus-free computing is because there are not as many Mac users as Windows users; true ... there aren't ... but Mac OS X has been the major platform for the Mac for 5 years and, yet, there are ZERO viruses in the wild. ZERO. And, yet, there should be at least a few. There are NONE ... and there are NONE because it's not easy to make one. Indeed, as of right now even those who proclaim themselves experts in making viruses ("hackers") simply don't know how to do it. IF they did, someone would do it and claim the $75,000 prize (laid out by MacAddict) that's been sitting there for 4 years, waiting for a hacker-geek to claim it.

To put this simply, Mac OS X is the most secure public-use OS on the market. None of these patches that Windows users are urged to download and install are needed for Mac OS X. Apple releases their own security updates, and those of us who use the Mac platform are STUPID if we don't install the security updates and take measures to ensure that our passwords and security features are properly active. But we don't need the Windows patches, couldn't use them if we downloaded them, and all the viruses, worms, maulwear, spywear, and other annoying monsters that plague Windows users simply are not a problem for Macs.

And my PCs have been virus free since 1985. It isn't the hardware or the software that makes a difference, its the nut behind the keyboard... :rolleyes:

yup, in the industry i believe that is called "pebkac" problem exists between keyboard and chair! :)

Greg, while there havent been any really publicized attacks on Mac OS yet, you need to remember that the core of OS X is BSD UNIX. Its a very different animal than OS9 and earlier. There are some vulnerabilites there, not as blatant as Windows. My concern is that when there is a vulnerability that gets exploited there are going to be many Mac users that have a false sense of security. It pays to be prudent no matter what OS you run. 5% of the home computer market is Apple Mac....we are the few and the proud :)

Greg, while there havent been any really publicized attacks on Mac OS yet, you need to remember that the core of OS X is BSD UNIX. Its a very different animal than OS9 and earlier. There are some vulnerabilites there, not as blatant as Windows. My concern is that when there is a vulnerability that gets exploited there are going to be many Mac users that have a false sense of security. It pays to be prudent no matter what OS you run. 5% of the home computer market is Apple Mac....we are the few and the proud

Indeed ... the kernal is a serious issue and (other than stupid users) is the primary problem when it comes to Mac OS X Security.

As for the % of the market ... well ... that's debatable. Market Share is possibily NOT the best method for determining how many Macs are in use in the home.

Here's an interesting (and recent) report on Market Share:

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=108377&ran=98783&tref=po

I find most interesting the Laptop Market Share for Macs has gone from 6% of the market in January to ... drumroll ... 12% of the market in July.

Yes ... we are the few and the proud. But we're less-few than many realize. :)

. My concern is that when there is a vulnerability that gets exploited there are going to be many Mac users that have a false sense of security. It pays to be prudent no matter what OS you run.

Oh, I agree with this ENTIRELY.

But, I suspect that WHEN such vulnerabilities get exploited, Mac users will take the proper steps ... and until such happens there is NOTHING we can do and it doesn't do any good to wring our hands and worry about possible, future, unknown and non-existent viruses. Unlike how we're characterized, we're not a bunch of dullard idiots who have our heads planted in the ground. But neither are we chicken-littles running around crying about the sky falling.

Only 88% of laptop users. :)

I think my laptop will get a lot less use now that its portability is restricted. If I can't take it with me, my next computer will be another desk top. I am not going to put my laptop in a suitcase handled by gorillas at airports and cruise terminals.:(

Thanks Namvet. As I've said, while there are ZERO Mac Viruses "in the wild," nevertheless it is true that even Macs are not "impervious."

Apple releases their own security updates, and those of us who use the Mac platform are STUPID if we don't install the security updates and take measures to ensure that our passwords and security features are properly active.

Well put Dr. Neal.... and your statement that is quoted makes my point . . . In the end, the end user is the master of his/her own fate when it comes to their individual pc.....

One year ago, we threw all our PCs in the trash, and bought Mac desktops and laptop. We have not had one single problem!

What a change from spybot, adaware, mcafee updates and multiple email problems.

I know not everyone wants one, but now I won't have anything else.

Beth

I think my laptop will get a lot less use now that its portability is restricted. If I can't take it with me, my next computer will be another desk top. I am not going to put my laptop in a suitcase handled by gorillas at airports and cruise terminals.:(

Why would you not be able to take it with you?

The carry-on restrictions for electronic is only in effect in the UK right now, and I would doubt that such restrictions will last long anyway. They are too obtrusive to commerce.

Apple releases their own security updates, and those of us who use the Mac platform are STUPID if we don't install the security updates and take measures to ensure that our passwords and security features are properly active. But we don't need the Windows patches, couldn't use them if we downloaded them, and all the viruses, worms, maulwear, spywear, and other annoying monsters that plague Windows users simply are not a problem for Macs.
Are you implying that Microsoft doesn't release their own security updates? I get every security update that is released... automatically... and I have a choice as to whether to allow automatic installation when received or to install at a time of my choosing. But I NEVER have to go looking for a patch.

Archived