Can we carry regular lipstick onboard?

LynneM44

They've been saying over and over on all the newscasts that the spelling on the drug bottle must EXACTLY match the name on your ID. I had to go to the drug store and get new bottles for my mom because her name on her passport is Maryanna, but she's always gone by Maryanne. It was a hassle, but since mom takes 9 meds a day, it had to be done.

No cosmetics of any kind, not even lip gloss. They just did a report on our local news and they showed TSA people taking away something as simple as cheese curds that someone had bought to take home with them. They said it could be used as an adhesive. Think about that the next time you eat cheese curds.

I just started a thread on the "Fashion" forum that stated the new Transportation Security Administration guidelines re: makeup "some solid or powdered cosmetics items are permitted past the checkpoint; however, that is left to the discretion of the security officer." So in answer to your question, Yes, you can take the hard tube lipstick, chapstick, and powdered makeups like Bare Essentuals or Bare Minerals in your carry on. That does not mean that a security officer will not ask you to toss it, but it means that you probably should be able to get past security with it. I am sure in the next few weeks we and all the security personnel will be on the same page when more specific guidelines come through. But for now, I am going to travel with my cheapest, most used up, tube of lipstick in my carry on, then put the expensive tubes in my luggage. gg

I just got off the tsa site and lipstick isn't listed as a "no-no" on there but the local news shows (and tells) lipsticks being tossed..............

If it's up to the local "security" people, I'm sure it'll be gone.........me, too,

I'm taking one that's down to the nothings in my purse.:D

Just hate to be without my hand sanitizer; I take it everywhere

but

you know what? It's for our own safety so I'll try to touch fewer things!;)

I just got off the tsa site and lipstick isn't listed as a "no-no" on there but the local news shows (and tells) lipsticks being tossed..............

If it's up to the local "security" people, I'm sure it'll be gone.........me, too,

I'm taking one that's down to the nothings in my purse.:D

Just hate to be without my hand sanitizer; I take it everywhere

but

you know what? It's for our own safety so I'll try to touch fewer things!;)

I am a hard core Purell user, so I'll pack that in the baggage and take the travel size "wet ones" - the antibacterial wipes for sticky fingers, or just use the foil wrapped alcohol prep pads in my carry on. :D gg

Yeah, that's the one thing I was thinking... What no lipstick? That would be what I would reach for right as we were landing. I have really pale lips and just feel so much more attractive when I have lipstick on. That's good advice about taking a cheapie one, I think I'll just go buy a $1.00 Wet & Wild in a neutral shade so it's no big deal if they take it.

I'm taking a lipstick that's almost all GONE!;)

The tsa site does not list lipstick.

They said on the news last night AND tonight (on TV) that it's not on the list BUT local Security people can decide to "take what they decide to take" so "perhaps you shouldn't take lipstick."

I think the cruise ships could make a LOT of $ by stocking up on things people had taken from them at the airport IF they hadn't packed back-ups!

So since lipstick/gloss/chapstick is not allowed on planes in carry-ons, can we just put some Vaseline in a plastic container and take on the plane? :confused: Or that is the same as "liquids and gels" ? I get terrible dry lips on long flights. But if I can't use anything...that is something I can learn to deal with.

:) Thanks!:)

Tube lipstick is allowed, No lipstick or gloss that is liquid that is applied with a brush or sponge type aplicator..;)

I just checked the TSA site, and indeed on the front page it states:

"Clarifications include: aerosols prohibited, solid lipstick and baby food permitted."

However in the details, there is no mention of it. I sure hope the screening agents are aware of this change. I may err on the side of caution anyway - I would hate to have my fave lipstick tossed! :)

Yeah, hubby made a point to tell me this morning that I could take my lipstick on board! I still think I'll buy a real cheap one just in case, you never know what the person who is actually checking your carryon may do. I'll pack my good ones in my checked luggage, would hate to have to throw away my Lancome or Clinique!

Archived