Where Are We? Keeping Track of Our Ship's Progress

Joanelle

We are sailing Canada/New England in a couple of weeks, on the Maasdam. One thing several in our party love to do, is figure out exactly where we are at any given point in the cruise - follow along on a map. Some ships I've been on have a litup map that shows, in hideous lack of detail, the ports and where we are. But these maps are so vague - I want detail! Does anyone else enjoy doing this? Is there someplace on the ship where you can get coordinates, or at least a detailed map of where we are? I do have a map I can bring, but how to find out WHERE WE ARE?

Hi,

One of the neat things on HAL S and R class ships is the interactive map on a wall that is in the the lobby on the way to the upper level of the dining room. Since the decks have different numbers on different ships I could confuse you so I described it instead. The map lights up the itinerary and there are touch screens a few feet away.

Every day between noon and 1pm the captain reports ship's position and important weather data. The daily program also reports details including nautical miles traveled, and at the end of the cruise gives a summary.

Some pax do bring GPS devices and plot maps.

GN

Hmmm...a GPS! Now that's an idea. I may be able to borrow one from a friend. Grannynurse, I think that litup board is the one I am remembering as being very very vague...but I don't remember the touch screens. Perhaps it's been updated with more detail? Also, between noon and 1 PM, we'll be in port every day except one. So it's kind of obvious where we are. I'm thinking more - 11 PM, on my balcony, wondering where on the planet I am...and knowing!

Your cabin's TV may also help. One of the channels has navigational data like wind speed, wave height etc. that cycles through, and you may have to watch for a bit to get it, but there is a live position that is shown on a map that zooms into three different scales. It may be more useful than the map outside the atrium - sometimes that doesn't always work correctly :)

We are sailing Canada/New England in a couple of weeks, on the Maasdam. One thing several in our party love to do, is figure out exactly where we are at any given point in the cruise - follow along on a map. Some ships I've been on have a litup map that shows, in hideous lack of detail, the ports and where we are. But these maps are so vague - I want detail! Does anyone else enjoy doing this? Is there someplace on the ship where you can get coordinates, or at least a detailed map of where we are? I do have a map I can bring, but how to find out WHERE WE ARE?

Try this site:Cruise ships and ocean liners

When you see your ship name on the map, keep clicking on it until you have zoomed in as much as you can. May not be the detail you want, but it does show nearby islands, gulfs, staits, etc. Scroll down until you see your coordinates.

I guess you would have to go to the internet cafe to get to the site, unless the Maasdam has some kind of in room internet.

This website Sean refers to is not always current. It deals with reported locations, and those reports may be old. The Prinsendam, for instance, is shown in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean when in reality today it's in Spanish Morocco.

I have found that cruisecal has a lot of mistakes. Have found ships listed to be somewhere I know they aren't. Regarding sailwx that is only useful if ships report their position. Best recomendation is get a GPS. Especially one that has maps as when you are close to land or crusing rivers it will show that. I have a Garmin that has maps and use it all the time while cruising. Even turn it on for a while during a sea day while out at the pool. Sometimes people see me with it and I share the info with them. Because we have been to so many places I have a lot of waypoints so I set up a route and can see how far it is to our next port and estimated time of arrival based on our current speed and postion. Can use them in a car too as I have a bracket for mine and put it on the dashboard using that sticky putty stuff you can use to put posters on a wall. I know the route for us to get to Ft. Lauderdale and Port Everglades when we drive down to sail from there but I always like to monitor our progress anyways.

47 cruises on HAL at the age of 41

504 days at sea on 11 different DAM SHIPS

500 day gold medallion holder

9/06 Trans Canal- Westerdam

12/06 Christmas & New Years - Westerdam

If Holland America doesn't go there WE DON'T GO!!!!

Thanks all...I think I'll borrow a GPS from a friend, this time. Then if I get hooked like rjbean4, I'll go out and get a good one.

I started to bring a handheld GPS unit for the last 4-5 years and find it an interesting on board hobby to while cruising. It is also good if you have a balcony, as it works better then standing on the regular Prom Deck that can be obstructed by Life Boats and other metal object interfering with the satellite reception. Of course the highest deck would help also but outside a rooms balcony more available anytime.

Of course, you have to alter the settings from Ground to Marine use. So you can read Natu Miles and Knots Speed.

Give it a try and see what you think of it!

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

Archived