Princess Menus

CroozBlooz

Being one who is still working for a living, I find that the 7 day cruises better fit within my schedule. That said, I do not believe that the menus change enough from one cruise to the next to make things interesting. Having sailed many times on all of the mass lines, it appears that Princess is less willing to make changes to their menus.

I realize that some cruisers have their "favorite" dishes. But it just seems to me that the menus could use sprucing up every three months or so. What do you think?

I realize that some cruisers have their "favorite" dishes. But it just seems to me that the menus could use sprucing up every three months or so. What do you think?

But I like to see the amazed looks on peoples faces, when I tell them that I'm going to have prime rib the first night, and then it's on the menu.

I, too, would like to see more changes in the menus. We just returned from a 16-day cruise and some items were repeated a couple of times. I know that there are certain constraints that must be observed on the ships, but I think it is more a matter of the chefs being fond of 'standard' itmes that will not tax his cooks too much. Most restaurants have a set menu and it doesn't change (or sometimes it does with an act of god). Cruise lines are the same. I, personally, would like to see more regional food on board - when we did the Aus/NZ cruise, lamb was never offered, which was a shame. The same tropical items offered in Tahiti were the same in Asia, but weren't as good a fit. The only real variation we saw was at the buffet, which reflected a different theme nearly every day. Change is good, but I guess Princess's culinary people don't see it that way...

Charlie

I was told to change menus items every other year will be quite expensive to do so--although I cant figure out how.

Our first cruise was in 2000 and had the same menu every year forever--til this year when menus changed.

Time for a change so we changed cruiselines.

let me start out by saying i am a Chef and the reason why change is hard or expense is for one you have to create, and train the staff to make these items so that they are not only appealing looks wise but taste as good.....the cafe that i own it takes months to train a cook to make things the way you want them done, not to metion if someone doesn't do it right? then what....a lot of money down the drain or in the trash when people don't eat it! or waste it!

I am also in the same boat as most and would love to see a shake up of menus but, i do understand......i just try to be flexible and enjoy someone else cooking for me for a change!!

We haven't been on many cruises and can only go once every two years so we can understand if the menu gets boring after awhile. DH and I have enjoyed the menu and look forward to it each time we cruise. Until we started cruising, I had never had king crab legs, lobster tail, mahi mahi, orange roughy and some other dishes. On our 15-day cruise we were able to repeat one of the above dishes during the second week which was a real treat. I'm an Eggs Benedict fan and that was one dish Princess does not do well for my taste.

Well, actually, the problem I usually have is that there are so many good choices that I have trouble deciding! So I think it is great that the next time I am on that ship, I get another chance at it and can pick something different to try! We are getting back on the Grand in December after getting off her in May, so I already have several tasty dishes on my mind ...

But I do love those crab legs. Wouldn't think of anything else on that night!

;)

Don't mean to hijack this thread - could go on for days about food - But hey Mike - ever go to Playhouse Merced? I light shows there occasionally (last one was La Mancha) and I'll be back in town in Oct. JUST BEFORE MY CORAL cruise which will have good food there on topic. Several of the staff and actors have worked cruise ships, too.

Chef Brian very much hit the nail on the head.

In addition to the recipe development and cooks training time the whole issue of budget enters into it. The Executive Chefs and food managers have a given budget for providing all the food to all the passengers. That budget amount is built into the price of each ticket along with all the other variables...cabin size...fuel costs...labour...operational fees...etc. So they must budget all their catering activities for all eating facilities on the ship within some pretty narrow allowances.

The other issue is storage of ingredients. Storage in a ship galley is at a premium and everything for the entire trip must pretty well fit into that space from day one. The Chef can't just call the supplier and say that he needs 100 dozen eggs in one gallon containers to be delivered off the coast of Mexico!!!:eek:

So while it might be nice to see menu changes on a frequent basis there is much more than just deciding to do it and making it happen.

And don't even get started on all the other eateries available on the average cruise ship. I don't know what they pay an Executive Chef on a cruise ship today but it's not enough!:)

Just my thoughts

Tom:)

Archived